Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Double clicking on song file no longer works; foobar2000 does not open (Read 12373 times) previous topic - next topic

Double clicking on song file no longer works; foobar2000 does not open

Up until recently, I could open the folder with a song or songs in it, double click that song and Foobar would automatically play it..now, when I double click a song nothing happens...Foobar wont open and the song never plays..I am wondering if I messed something up to cause this? Any help would be appreciated

Reply #1
Take a look at the console when you try and play a track. Anything helpful?

View>Console

Reply #2
I get a bunch of "location not parsable" errors of songs not even on my hd?

Location not parsable: "E:\Music\the Illuminati\The Illuminati\04 - On My Way Back Home... Again.mp3", reason: Unsupported format or corrupted file
Location not parsable: "E:\Music\the Illuminati\The Illuminati\11 - On My Way Back Home... Again.mp3", reason: Unsupported format or corrupted file

Reply #3
I would guess your file is corrupted. Does running foo_verifier on the files give you any better ideas?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #4
The double click method works with other music programs (LIke Media Player) ....for some reason, Foobar won't respond...frustrating

Reply #5
I get a bunch of "location not parsable" errors of songs not even on my hd?

Location not parsable: "E:\Music\the Illuminati\The Illuminati\04 - On My Way Back Home... Again.mp3", reason: Unsupported format or corrupted file
Location not parsable: "E:\Music\the Illuminati\The Illuminati\11 - On My Way Back Home... Again.mp3", reason: Unsupported format or corrupted file

i get these errors after ive manually deleted a folder but they still exist in the media library.. try rescanning your media folder.

The double click method works with other music programs (LIke Media Player) ....for some reason, Foobar won't respond...frustrating

sounds like 'media player' has taken control of your file associations, try restoring them within foobar..

File > preferences > shell integration.. click 'manage file type associations', select all and apply.

Reply #6
Thanks for the response! I did go to shell integration and all my extensions are associated with Foobar.

It used to work and then it seems when I went to d/l the newest beta the issues started...

Reply #7
I am beginning to think this is something in the registry when I tried to update to the newest beta?

Reply #8
File associations are handled with shell extensions, not registry entries any longer. There might be registry entries associated with the shell extension(s) but those are inconsequential.

Regardless, Windows Media Player has a habit of "stealing back" file associations (and context menu entries) unless you "disable access" to it using the window's control panel.

If you don't want to do that, Then you'll need to re-associate foobar2000 with the files periodically and you'll probably want to complain to Microsoft about their application's predatory behavior. Good luck.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #9
Stupid question...I cannot figure out how to disable access in Windows control panel..

Plus, I do have Foobar set properly in shell integration

Reply #10
if using windows 7, start>search>start typing "turn windows features on or off". it should appear after the first word. you can disable WMP under "media features".

if on XP, you can goto add/remove programs and then add/remove windows components (i can't remember the exact wording).

as for vista, i can't remember at all...

Reply #11
One thing I just noticed and may have a bearing on my issues...when I go to "manage file type associations" within Foobar all the choices are greyed out..I cannot select or deselect anything

Reply #12
Portable mode does not install the necessary shell extensions (as they necessarily change things outside the portable folder).

Rerun the installer and use a standard install.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #13
I did the standard install...I haven't tried the portable install

When I went into default programs it shows everything is associated with Foobar...for some reason it wont play the songs when I double click on them..even right clicking has stopped working with this program

--------

Another weird thing, I can double click on a song with the p2p program Soulseek and the song opens up Foobar properly..

This is getting crazier by the minute

Reply #14
Instead it opens with...

Instead there's context menus for...

Instead what happens when you double click those files?

You are running what version of Windows?

You are not giving us any information to work with. So far in this thread we have some guesses based on the immediately previous comment you'd made, but you are not being forthright with relevant information to help us narrow your problem down. If you are not going to be, you can expect this topic to be closed.

For a good heads up on some more things that might be considered relevant please read the support forum rules thread, linked at the top of this page. Any further failure to take heed of those rules will be considered wasting other people's time.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #15
Man, I am sorry...I certainly did not mean to waste time...and I certainly am not trying to be vague and stupid here
I am not computer savvy and some thing being mentioned here are over my head

I am running Windows 7 (64 bit)

I dont know what a context menu is

When I double click the files within Explorer nothing happens....Like I mentioned, right clicking and Enqueuing doesn't work like it used to

In the past I could go into explorer, open the song folder, double click on a title or playlist and Foobar would open with the song or songs in the playlist view..now, when I double click..nothing

I have set the file associations
i have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled 30 times...
In my desktop shortcut there is a "shield" pictured with the Foobar icon...

This is starting to feel like a conflict somewhere in my pc causing this. I guess I will have to solve this one on my own

Reply #16
Try running the attached registry file. If you have installed foobar2000 into the default location it will fix possible incorrect compatibility settings for you. [attachment=6645:fooreset.reg]

Reply #17
Try running the attached registry file. If you have installed foobar2000 into the default location it will fix possible incorrect compatibility settings for you. [attachment=6645:fooreset.reg]

THAT WORKED!!!!!!

Thanks a TON!!!!!!

Can you explained to me if something I did was wrong to avoid this in the future???

Reply #18
You had adjusted foobar2000's compatibility settings and marked it to require administrator rights. That is generally never required even for programs designed for XP or older systems. Those compatibility options are meant to help people run some very old programs, but when they are needlessly enabled they cause only issues.

Reply #19
Thats what I thought I did but could not figure out how to reverse it ...thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Reply #20
I'll just bum this thread because I have a problem with the very same symptoms.

I'm on Win 7 x64

I had foobar installed in default C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000 location first, then I uninstalled.

Then I wanted it on my E:\ partition so I installed first the portable version (to have all settings and components persistent at a system reinstall) in E:\program\foobar2000 and then to get the shell integration I installed the normal version on top of that (just like I usually do... that procedure).

But now I have this problem of the context menu functions.. the shell integration functions of opening and enqueing not working.

It's not stolen by any other media player. Just nothing happens when I double click the files.

When I open the file associations window all the regular supported formats are checked but grayed out so I can't change the settings.

I have not checked "run as administrator" nor any backwards windows compatibility options in the exe properties.

I've scoured the windows registry and corrected all "C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000" to "E:\program\foobar2000" where the installation is now.
But like you say, it doesn't work through registry entries anymore.

I would be happy to troubleshoot somehow if you could give me instructions.

here is the compressed program folder:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5042186/foobar2000.7z

Hope I can supply you with whatever missing information I've missed if you tell me!

Thanks in advance!

Reply #21
AHHH! False alarm! Sorry, I hade this issue but something I did... fixing the registry entries of the executable path or fiddling with the settings only took effect after rebooting my machine... I feel stupid for not considering it.
Sorry