Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tool to verify flacs? (corruption, etc) (Read 9231 times) previous topic - next topic

Tool to verify flacs? (corruption, etc)

Hi, I want to make sure my flacs are all ok every once in a while.
I have thought about generating a crc/md5 checksums for everything, although because I have not done this at the moment maybe some are corrupt already, so it would not be a good idea to generate sums without knowing if they are perfectat the moment.

From what I understand, flac has some verifier built in? I can use a program like 'VuPlayer AudioTester' to check the flac files right? (I seached the forum and found something about this which was from 2011, is this still the best program/way to do it?)
What does it actually look for?

And, if I use that program and verify them all, would it still be wise to generate checksums for everything?
Because I don't know what vuplayer audiotester looks for, I don't yet know what is my best choice.

Also, I use foobar2000, if there is a nice plugin or something for that then great, although that is not necessary. If it is also not windows dependant, then that is nice too

thank you very much!

Reply #2
thanks a lot for your (fast) reply!
virtually all of my rips have logs and cues, so they are full cd rips.
ok but, I don't think using the cuetools method would work, right? because I have added tags etc etc, unless the way it works is by only reading the 'audio' part of the flac file, and verifying this? (I hope it works this way though, it seems the best way)

-edit. searched more and found that flac has an md5 checksum in the file, i assume this is always the case for flac files, and from what i read the foobar plugin will check the md5 sum (it says it will do this on 'some' formats, i expect flac must be one of them if it has an md5 sum in it), so using that i will be good

thanks!

Reply #3
of course it only analyses the audio. it works without cuesheets as well. if you had folders full of individual tracks for each album, that would work too.

Reply #4
when i look in my cuesheets, i don't see any checksums, in the logs i do though, how does it work with cuesheets?
couldn't you just verify the files comparing them back to the generated log?

Reply #5
if your flacs are all full CD rips, you might consider using cuetools instead. it will check your rips against other rips submitted to an online database. http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=66233

CUETools is NOT a good tool to verify the integrity of flac files however. The current stable version will just stop verifying on a corrupt flac file and exit without identifying which file was corrupt.

For someone that doesn't use foobar2000, I'd recommend the new FLAC Frontend which uses (Windows) FLAC exe(s) to verify integrity and fingerprint.
korth

Reply #6
i didn't know that about cuetools so thanks.

Reply #7
If you checkout PefectTUNES:

http://dbpoweramp.com/perfecttunes.htm

It will check FLAC files against the built in md5 (and present the results in a nice list format). It will also check for ripping errors against accuraterip (but not for single image files).

Perfecttunes is a commercial product, however the Error Checker / AccurateRip component is free.

Reply #8
Foobar2000's verification tool is easy to use and will work on vitrually any format.  I've been using foobar2000 just as a utility to do that and many other useful things for years. I highly recommend using it in conjunction with CUETools.

Reply #9
thanks for all of your replies and help, i will look into perfecttunes but it seems using the verification plugin for foobar will suffice.
all the rips were ripped and checked against accuraterip etc, so as long as the flac file matches up with it's md5 sum, all should be fine, at least i think so.

thanks again

Reply #10
Being able to verify the contents against the checksums generated at ripping (or AR) is the best way to go since the built-in md5sums are not 100% reliable [something may have gone wrong during the encoding process; and yes I have seen instances of this (even when the -V switch was being used!) ], though they are certainly good enough to spot problems that may have occurred after their creation.

Reply #11
I like AudioTester as well, it's really fast: http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php. It only does a quick verification of the file for corruption, nothing else.