Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does EAC’s setting for “quality” affect the encoded FLAC? (Read 8873 times) previous topic - next topic

Does EAC’s setting for “quality” affect the encoded FLAC?

If you  choose under Used output format : User Defined Encoder
Quality : Low , will the quality be low or will EAC ignore it (like it would ignore Selected bitrate : 192 kBit/s)?

Is this thing like it is with bitrate for example, do you have to select low quality under Additional command line options if you want it to be considered?

Can some flac files have 21 cut-off?

Reply #1
The bitrate and low and high quality switches will be ignored.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC

FLAC is lossless, there is no 21khz cut off.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
Thank you for the reply. But I have heard that in some cases flac files are also cutted-off at for example 21 khz. Is that true?

Reply #3
Also I would like to ask you why is there option to choose between low and high quality and also bitrate if it is then ignored?

Reply #4
Only if the audio you're feeding to FLAC is cut off at 21KHz.  FLAC is lossless; nothing gets lost or changed.  It will preserve everything exactly as given to it.

Edit to respond to next post that just popped up:  Those options are there for other output formats such as mp3.  Again, FLAC is without loss, so it can not have a quality setting or target a specific bitrate.  It will use whatever bitrate it needs to preserve the audio perfectly.

Reply #5
Have a look at this wiki guide and it explains how the high, low and bitrate switches\drop down work. As gib mentioned, not really needed for FLAC.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #6
Thank you for the reply. I was little confused because I have heard that you can either in FLAC specify bitrate and quality under Additional command line options. Now I know that this is not really true.

Reply #7
I would like to ask you something.

I want to perform an ABX test, but my FLAC files are usually less louder than MP3s.
So how can I normalize the FLAC files to same volume as MP3 files , so that my ABX test would be more realistic?

Reply #8
So how can I normalize the FLAC files to same volume as MP3 files , so that my ABX test would be more realistic?

Import both files to foobar, right click -> ReplayGain -> Scan per-file track gain. Then tick "use replaygain" before beginning the ABX test.

(Hope I got that right...)

Reply #9
Of course I am interested in changing FLAC volume without damaging its quality.

EDIT: Thank you for the answer. I had tried this before but there are still differences in volumes between MP3 and FLAC.
Import both files to foobar, right click -> ReplayGain -> Scan per-file track gain. Then tick "use replaygain" before beginning the ABX test. --- where is there an option use replaygain? -- only option that I have is update file tag

Reply #10
BTW, the file ripped from VINYL (24bit FLAC) is more quality than file ripped from CD (MP3 192KBs), right?

Reply #11
That's debatable... the vinyl may have been made from a better master but will have surface noise and clicks/pops.  If the vinyl was made from the same master as the CD, the CD version is technically better, though the mp3 process makes this a bit less of a slam dunk.

Reply #12
--- where is there an option use replaygain? -- only option that I have is update file tag

Strange, try holding shift before right-clicking. It should appear anyway...

BTW, the file ripped from VINYL (24bit FLAC) is more quality than file ripped from CD (MP3 192KBs), right?

We can't say for sure. It depends how each version was mastered, how the Vinyl was ripped, how the MP3 was encoded and by which encoder, and so on... Use whatever sounds right for you.

And BTW, being 24 bit adds nothing to the sound quality of the rip. But I'm getting off-topic...

EDIT: binaryhermit beat me to it.

Reply #13
It should be pointless to ABX a vinyl rip vs. a CD because there are so many things that could make them sound different. Difference in perceived volume, for example, is fairly likely.

If your interest is in what sounds better to you then just listen to both and pick your favorite.

Reply #14
But if I normalize them to the same volume, the ABX test is not pointless, right?

Reply #15
ABX testing is used to verify that two things do not sound the same that are supposed to sound the same. If folks here are skeptical that you can hear a difference then you can convince them by passing an ABX test.

I don't think anyone here doubts that the vinyl and CD versions in this case sound different, and that most listeners would have no difficulty distinguishing them. So what are you trying to prove?

Edit: This is all way off-topic and should probably be split.