Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Javascript problem on HydrogenAudio? (Read 4648 times) previous topic - next topic

Javascript problem on HydrogenAudio?

The last couple of days or so, I get the following message from Mozilla when reading threads (but only from the "Active Topics" page, it seems, and not always):

A script on this page is causing Mozilla to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive.

Do you want to abort the script?

This with Mozilla 1.4 on Windows 2000.  Anyone who knows what's causing this message?

This made be look a bit at the two of the scripts fetched by Mozilla (from the HA server), and they made me wonder a bit... First of all, one is obfuscated. I haven't decoded it yet, but it is called removeEvul.js. Another one, __utm.js, contains the name Urchin Tracking Module, which sound a bit odd to me...  Anyone who knows what they're about?

Reply #1
Anyone who knows what's causing this message?

Found what it was: removeEvul.js (which, AFAICT, removes elements from the DOM that matches certain regular expressions. As a side note, one of regexps contains the text "phpBB"...). Blocking it seems to cause no bad side effects.

Reply #2
[deleted]

Reply #3
[deleted]

Reply #4
I'm not super-knowledgable about Java (though I worked for Sun for 2 yrs    ), but is this problem also why text is getting duplicated in posts?

I just did one of my normal mile-long posts in OT, and it ended up two miles long! 

Reply #5
[deleted]

Reply #6
[deleted]

Reply #7
Wow http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=11977 turned out bizarre with the multiple repeats inside the post.

Yes, this is a formatting bug that first appeared with 1.2 RC1. Took me more than an hour yesterday to realize that i couldn't fix the MPC thread, no matter what i did. I posted on the Invision support forum about it and it seems that this stuff is fixed in RC2. Just waiting until Dibrom has time to update HA. Until then, people should refrain from making big posts or editing lengthy posts. I am not sure if those posts fix themselves, they might as well keep that messy formatting after the update.

Reply #8
Erm, JavaScript and Java are two different things.

Reply #9
UTM is a part of the Urchin software we using for analyzing traffic on the different pages.  As TrNSZ said, it's not malicious or sneaky or anything, it simply allows us to get around some common traffic analysis issues caused by proxies, caches, etc.

removeEvul.js is simply a clientside (DOM based) anti-goatse/tubgirl type removal script that I wrote for the board.  It should prevent the negative effects of certain people *ahem*, spamming our boards again.  Obviously, it's obfuscated to prevent people from easily working around it.

The double post bit, as CiTay said, appears to be some sort of issue with RC1.  Unfortunately I don't have time to update toe RC2 right away.. I might get to it sometime later this week, but I'll be out of time almost the whole time, so it's rather uncertain.

Reply #10
To clarify further, it's probably the removeEvul script which is giving mozilla fits (I get the message occassionally now too), since it's based on regular expression.  When I get back, I'll see if I can tighten things up a bit, or at least figure out what the problem is.

Reply #11
By the way ... Invision Board 1.2 FINAL has been released a while ago

Reply #12
By the way ... Invision Board 1.2 FINAL has been released a while ago

A while ago today, yes.  I hope Dibrom has enough time this weekend to install it.

Reply #13
it simply allows us to get around some common traffic analysis issues caused by proxies, caches, etc.

Normal HTTP methods for cache busting work fine with todays proxies and caches. There is absolutely, positively no need for substitutes of any kind. If anything, those substitutes just cause havoc in unseen configurations (namely non-Windos).

Oh well, this is not the first time standards are being suppressed by marketing hype.

Dibrom, I did send you that PM about the caching issues. I encourage you to take it into serious reconsideration before resorting into 3rd party solutions..