Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sound to computer speakers and DAC? (Read 3635 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound to computer speakers and DAC?

OK, I'm running Windows 7 with an EMU-0404 PCI sound card.

I have a coax cable from the sound card digital out to my stereo system DAC.  I'd also like to listen to my computer speakers, but not at the same time.

I also have an Apple Airport Express I could incorporate, as my DAC can take wireless signals.  But I think it doesn't handle lossless sound without re-encoding, and I don't use itunes.

I don't care about the quality of the computer speaker sound, but care a lot about the FLAC to my stereo.  I can use the onboard sound if need be, outputting to the DAC with wasapi.

How can I do this?  Thanks!

Reply #1
Use foobar2000 to manage your library, control playback and send signal to the output you choose.  When playing to your DAC, select WASAPI/digital out; for your internal computer speaker, choose DirectSound/speakers.  foobar2000 output selection is in File>Preferences>Playback>Output>Device.  You can set up a keyboard shortcut to get to the Output page.  Other software players may offer the same functionality, but I'm most familiar with foobar2000.

Only advantage of the Airport Express is that you can ditch the wire between your PC and DAC.  The DAC would get digital data from the AE; it only has optical digital output and you need a Toslink/3.5mm adapter.  Problem is that you need iTunes to serve files and iTunes does not play nice with FLAC.  Xiph offers a solution but the last update was four years ago and, of course, you need to install iTunes/QuickTime.

Reply #2
Thanks, I use foobar anyway, so that helps.  But how do I do the physical connections?

Reply #3
Can you leave the S/PDIF out from the E-MU to the DAC and connect your desktop speakers to the integrated analog out on your motherboard?  I have a Tascam USB audio interface similar to your E-MU and I use it with my desktop PC and speakers this way.  Can't run them both at the same time, but easy enough to switch via foobar2000.

Reply #4
Thanks, I use foobar anyway, so that helps.  But how do I do the physical connections?

Just a note about SP/DIF signal distribution practices.

Conventional wisdom is that you can only attach one SP/DIF input to each SP/DIF output, but that is more about good practice than what may work reliably in each case.

The *right* way to fan out a SP/DIF involves a buffer amplifier designed for its bandwidth and signal level - the devices we use to distribute composite video are appropriate.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/41066?ut...CFUff4Aod9C0AGA

It is often  possible to simply attach 2 SP/DIF  inputs to a single SP/DIF  output with a simple Y cable and end up with a reliable working system.