Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fb2k.9 and flac embedded cuesheets (Read 4275 times) previous topic - next topic

fb2k.9 and flac embedded cuesheets

The old fb2k behavior was to read the flac embedded cuesheet and populate the playlist with all the tracks.  The new version only lists the flac file in the playlist.  Is this by design?  Anyway to get the old behavior back? (other than by reinstalling the old version?)

edit: sp

Reply #1
OK, I think I see what's going on.  The new version is MUCH, MUCH less forgiving about tags in the cuesheet.  In my case, FB2K.9 is barfing on the following tags, which I have in ALL my cuesheets:

DISC_ID (cdplayer.ini index)
CDDB_ID (freedb lookup index)
COMPOSER (yup, you guessed it: the composer)
COMMENT (album and track comments)
GENRE (genre name)
YEAR (year of recording)

This is true for album tags and for track tags.

Soooo....just what the heck's the dang deal here, anyways?  Is FB2K now in the business of enforcing someone's idea of what constitutes a clean cuesheet?  Why not have a "relaxed cuesheet parsing" option so that FB2K ignores tags it doesn't understand?

Edit: PS: Slimserver uses the COMPOSER, GENRE, COMMENT and YEAR tags.  I might be able to live with out some of the others, but GENRE is a necessity.

Reply #3
The new cuesheet parser reads cuesheets which are compliant to the cuesheet specification.

If your cuesheet isn't parsed correctly, you'll find an notification message on the console ('View > Console') about that.

Reply #4
Edit: PS: Slimserver uses the COMPOSER, GENRE, COMMENT and YEAR tags.  I might be able to live with out some of the others, but GENRE is a necessity.
According to the spec the available commands are only:
  • CATALOG
  • CDTEXTFILE
  • FILE
  • FLAGS
  • INDEX
  • ISRC
  • PERFORMER
  • POSTGAP
  • PREGAP
  • REM
  • SONGWRITER
  • TITLE
  • TRACK
Is there anyway you can tell Slimserver to prefix (non-standard) commands with "REM "?
I'm on a horse.

Reply #5
According to the spec the available commands are only:
  • CATALOG
  • CDTEXTFILE
  • FILE
  • FLAGS
  • INDEX
  • ISRC
  • PERFORMER
  • POSTGAP
  • PREGAP
  • REM
  • SONGWRITER
  • TITLE
  • TRACK
Is there anyway you can tell Slimserver to prefix (non-standard) commands with "REM "?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373312"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Slimserver doesn't create cuesheets.  It reads them.  It's a music indexing and playback system.  Where is this "standard" you are refering to documented?  The spec quoted above is laughably inadequate for cataloging and indexing classical music.  Without GENRE and COMPOSER tags, my music library would be totally broken.  The COMMENTS tag is helpful too...I put composer biographical info and performance details there.  Why not just have FB2K ignore tags it doesn't understand and at least parse the PERFORMER, TITLE and TRACK tags?  Then, if the user modifiys the cuesheet in FB2K, put up a warning dialog about the fact that they are about to loose their unsupported tags when the cuesheet gets rewritten.

BURRRRN doesn't have a problem with my cuesheets, by the way.

Edit: typos

Reply #6
See Appendix A of the CDRWIN manual for the specification of the cue sheet format. (Edit: available as PDF online)

Per specification cue sheets are restricted to ASCII encoding. Add to that the rather limited set of metadata fields. All in all, cue sheets appear laughably inappropriate for storing metadata in general to me.

Reply #7
As long as apps support the "REM <tag> <value>" syntax then I don't see too much of an issue.  Personally I'm happy with TITLE and PERFORMER.  REM DATE is nice, but not necessary.

Slimserver doesn't create cuesheets.  It reads them.  It's a music indexing and playback system.
Then I guess it has no place messing with the cuesheet standard.  If it is going to support cuesheets it should adhere to "the standard".  Note: The CDRWIN Appendix is the unofficial standard, but it's the only one there is, written by the originators of the cuesheet (IIRC).  If Slimserver have developed their own standard then they can't really complain about other software not understanding it.  As foosion points out, if they require meta data storage then they should probably have gone with an alternative system.

NB: foobar does understand REM GENRE; REM DATE; and REM COMMENT statements, e.g.:

REM DATE 2006
REM GENRE Rock
REM COMMENT "This value has spaces, so is quoted"

BURRRRN doesn't have a problem with my cuesheets, by the way.
I guess Burrrn just ignores lines that are irrelevant to burning a CD with CD Text, much as 0.8.3 presumably did.

Maybe you should be speaking to the Slimserver guys?
I'm on a horse.