Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Boom (Read 19659 times) previous topic - next topic

Boom

Just found a new software, called Boom

It's Peter's new little project.

Boom is an easy audio player, meant for casual users, unlike foobar2000.
And, it supports translation, I know many will like this.

It supports portable media, but haven't figured out how to save its config in the same folder as the exe.

Didn't find any thread about it so thought it needed little attention.
Not sure if it should be here or elsewhere on HA, thought it would be best here for all foobar2000 users to read.

Will follow its development as it seems like a promising program. 

More info: http://perkele.cc/software/boom

Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Boom

Reply #1
Wow, and I thought 1by1 was intuitive. Keyboard handling is exceptional (arrow keys, enter and backspace allow to reach almost everything).

Feature request: customizable font size (with Ctrl+(+/-) or Ctrl+Mousewheel to omit menu clutter).

Boom

Reply #2
Indeed it is very intuitive and usable!
The only noteworthy missing feature i see: missing ability to rip audio cds. I say that with the target group of this program in my mind. I know many people who use a player in the same way like their hifi-equipment: they choose one cd and play it - they even don't need a playlist editor. But naturally a way to add their cds to harddrive.

Boom

Reply #3
From the screenshot it looks to me like .NET and meant for touch screens or tablets
Both my guesses could be wrong, but that's my impression on first look as I'm definitely not in it target group

Boom

Reply #4
not .NET. WTL actually.

Boom

Reply #5
I tried it as well.

It looks very promising and everything and I was very eager to play with it however, I guess this is a bug report:
I couldn't get it to play anything without allot of distortion. Those were albums freshly ripped and encoded by LAME 3.98.4 and have ReplayGain tags applied with foobar2000, and foobar2000 plays them without distortion issues.

Don't know if it's related to having Windows XP (SP3, fully updated and patched) or not.

Edit:
Maybe important: I should mention it caused the distortion with out-of-the-box settings/configuration, I didn't even tinker with the settings/configuration.

Boom

Reply #6
Peter's irrational dislike for "Now Playing" queues shows even in this, sadly.

Boom

Reply #7
Linux, anyone?

Boom

Reply #8
Peter's irrational dislike for "Now Playing" queues shows even in this, sadly.

I would call it "matter of taste" instead of irrational. Just because he does not follow the paradigm of iTunes/WMP/... renders his choice irrational. I find Boom's behaviour comfortingly predictable: what you see is your playlist. Just too sad that I cannot use it as my non-tagging player software because I am addicted to playback statistics...

Boom

Reply #10
Awesome piece of software. This will supplement fb2k on all of my machines. Being a fb2k user for years, I really like the possibilities, but Boom seems to do the basics and seems to do them right. It won't replace foobar, but for casual listening I might end up using this instead. I already missed a library search though.
Will try the portable install on my car music stick soon.

Boom

Reply #11
I started Boom for the first time ever...

I selected "Navigation: my computer" and went to a folder full of music.
Boom did not display any CUE sheets; all it saw was FLAC and APE album images !?

I clicked on a FLAC album image and played it...
I decided to seek forward in time ...I couldn't ...there was no Seek bar in the Boom interface !?

I decided to STOP the playing FLAC file so I could perform an operation on the parent folder  ...I couldn't ...there was no STOP button.

I exited Boom.

To be honest, at this point in time, for a fast music playing fix, I'm still looking for the shortcut to "1by1 directory player v1.66" (I don't like the newer versions ...slow and bloated ...1.66 hits the sweet spot for me).

...it was a cute experience using Boom.

Boom

Reply #12
Hold fast forward to seek
Press pause to pause / stop. Re-press pause restarts at last point. Press play restarts.
Also available via menu

Boom

Reply #13
I only wish it had a shuffle/random mode.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Boom

Reply #15
@tpijag - Thanks for the info on "hold down Fast-Forward button to Seek".

Do you have any info about the non-handling of CUE sheets? ...or am I dreaming.

With regards to Pause==Stop ; I do not see those two functions as the same thing.
For more info, read this post here.

Boom

Reply #16
I only wish it had a shuffle/random mode.

Select all the tracks you want to be played in this mode. Then right click and: voila!

Edit:
Can't see the difference of the two commands in one tracks context menu: "play" and "play from here" (i have the german version, so the name of these commands are my translation)

Edit2:
Do you have any info about the non-handling of CUE sheets? ...or am I dreaming.

Boom is an easy to use audio player intended for casual computer users who do not wish to spend their time on figuring more sophisticated software out.

Boom

Reply #17
With regards to Pause==Stop ; I do not see those two functions as the same thing.
The default Android music player does not distinguish stop and pause either. If you want separate stop and pause, use foobar2000.

Hydrogenaudio is the last place Peter is probably looking for criticism about this player from. I'm sure if he wanted your opinions, he'd have posted himself asking for them. While some feedback is okay, don't think for a second that your feature requests are going to be implemented. Chances are very good that they will not be.

Boom

Reply #19
Since the forum won't let me PM for some reason I'll have to respond here to Peter about the Boom issue I have, or I suppose an admin or mod could split this post into a bug report topic instead if that's deemed more proper.

To answer you Peter I do have a codec package installed, it's called XP Codec Pack (http://www.xpcodecpack.com/). The only ACM I have installed for playing MP3s is what comes with Windows XP as standard, it's that FhG ACM decoder.

Boom

Reply #20
Since the forum won't let me PM for some reason [...]

Perhaps you have disabled your personal messenger?

If you disable your personal messenger, you will not be able to make or receive personal messages.

You can check this setting via > My Controls > Board Settings > "Personal Messenger Options".
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Boom

Reply #21
Thank you for the help however my personal messenger wasn't and isn't disabled. And if finally let me PM.

Boom

Reply #22
The only request i have: a link in media library for "all dates". That is a very common and popular criterion for browsing.

And a suggestion as result of an irritation of my niece i showed the player: If a track is played that is not in library and a link from the now playing part of boom is clicked then the library page gets blank. Would be helpful to tell the user that track is not in library and to give a link to the prefrences page where library folders are added.

EDIT

@dreamliner
You even can shuffle all songs from a special genre: select a genre, then select all albums by all artists and at last songs from all albums. You will get a list from all songs of f.e. Rock which you can play random.

Boom

Reply #23
Since the forum won't let me PM for some reason I'll have to respond here to Peter about the Boom issue I have, or I suppose an admin or mod could split this post into a bug report topic instead if that's deemed more proper.

#boomaudio on Freenode
elevatorladylevitateme

Boom

Reply #24
Version 1.0.1 highlights:
*  Included more user-contributed translations.
*  Fixed Apple MP3 gapless information handling.
*  Fixed incorrect behaviors when a DirectSound API call fails.
*  More user-friendly behavior when trying to play AAC files on a system without Microsoft AAC decoder present.

Version 1.0.2 highlights:
*  Included more user-contributed translations.
*  Improved user interface behavior consistency.
*  Pausing now releases the file being played.