Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: keeping 32 and 64 bit versions installed at the same time. will they conflict? (Read 1172 times) previous topic - next topic

keeping 32 and 64 bit versions installed at the same time. will they conflict?

--------------accidentally posted here when it should be in the foobar2000 section---------------------

I've already installed v2.0 beta on top of the old v1.6.x stable, and have seen the copied profile folder. But how about having both 64bit and 32bit versions installed? How well will that work? Should I expect breakage? My worry is mainly about having them fighting over settings and one or both acting out because of that.
Is the new scheme designed so that both versions can coexist or do I have pick one and stick to it?
I'm kind of concerned about components I use, particularly rare input ones, even from outside the repository, so I'm not yet ready to do away with the 32bit version and switch over to 64. I would like to use both.

Re: keeping 32 and 64 bit versions installed at the same time. will they conflict?

Reply #1
Just install x64 version in portable mode.

Re: keeping 32 and 64 bit versions installed at the same time. will they conflict?

Reply #2
@Bogozo
Yes, that's what I'm doing, but that doesn't answer my question about what would happen if I installed both.

Reply #3
Portable installations are completely independent from the standard installation. They have an own folder for the components etc.. So its no problem to have a standard 32 bit 2.0 and a portable 64 bit 2.0.

Reply #4
@grimes
Again, I understand that, but that's different from what I'm asking.
I could even just copy the 32bit profile over to the 64bit "portable" installation to have all/most of my settings there and let it do whatever with it without worrying about the current installation.
And yet, that's still not what I'm asking.

I'm not asking for a solution, but for information about what would happen doing that.

Reply #6
Replacing a 64 bit profile folder with a 32 bit profile folder in a 64 bit portable version will not work.
Have you actually tried? because I just did, and some stuff does work.
My interface (Default UI) settings are kept. Playlists are there. DSP chain is there (with components labeled "missing").
Of course, all the 32bit components have failed to load, as expected.
That's what I meant by "let it do whatever with it".
I know the 32bit components won't work. That's the whole point of me not transitioning straight to 64bit yet.

Reply #7
Yes the components are the problem. The themes file in DUI expects the missing 32bit components. 64 bit components are stored in "user-components-x64".

Reply #8
If you're talking about sharing the same foobar2000-v2 folder in %appdata% then I think it's a bad idea to even try.

It *might* work but the whole point of standard installs is the file associations and you obviously can't have that with 2 different installation folder locations for the 32bit and 64bit installs.

Secondary portable installs are the way to go.

Reply #9
If you're talking about sharing the same foobar2000-v2 folder in %appdata% then I think it's a bad idea to even try.

It *might* work but the whole point of standard installs is the file associations and you obviously can't have that with 2 different installation folder locations for the 32bit and 64bit installs.

Secondary portable installs are the way to go.

Not everybody uses standard installs for file associations.  The only associations with foobar2000 I have are .fpl playlists, .b2k-component, .fth (themes).  I don't even use the library function.  I either launch foobar2000 and open what I want inside it or drag something into the shortcut icon on my desktop to play something.