Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vinyl emulator (Read 2108 times) previous topic - next topic

Vinyl emulator

Seeing this guy realized he had listen - and praised - digital on vinyl for decades was very sad.
Something like: "Honey, you're not the father of the kids..."
So much so that the video is mainly like "Give me a DNA test!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtJRis-Ba1Q

So why not create a vinyl emulator for him and his peers so they too can enjoy digital?
His wall with 1,000 LP could fit - lossless - in a tiny SD card the size of his pinky nail.

Start from a 16 bits * 44.1kHz file:

- Limit the freq. to 50 - 16kHz, let be generous !
- Compress (very much) the sound for it fit in a groove - result still in 16 bits.                                                                     
- Apply the RIAA equalizing curve - it's never perfect.           
- simulate the distortions (and sort of analog jitter) added by the engraving chain.    
  Multiples "master" => "slave", etc.. and so on... I don't exactly know. At least 3 "pass".
- Blur the L&R channels with each others a little.                                 
- Add echoes +/- 1800ms on low freq. from the two adjacent tracks
- Truncate the 16 bits by adding random bits on its 6 LSB.
   10 bits is very very very generous for a vinyl groove.
- Add ambient sounds. From the turntable, etc...
- Add snap, crackle & pop (Let keep this as an "app" / plugin for later!)
- Add distortion of the needle / stylus.
- Apply a reverse RIAA equ. curve. Again not perfect - not practically the same as the previous one.

I'm sure I miss some steps. There is the ones in production like mixing the multiple tracks (bass, drum, etc) so they can fit in the groove to deliver a stereo effect. But it's too late starting from a CD.

It could be a free plugin for the WinAmp & Co or a $90,000 platinum and gold plated rack for the real audiophiles.

Re: Vinyl emulator

Reply #1
Start from a 16 bits * 44.1kHz file:

- Limit the freq. to 50 - 16kHz, let be generous !
- Compress (very much) the sound for it fit in a groove - result still in 16 bits.                                                                     
- Apply the RIAA equalizing curve - it's never perfect.           
- simulate the distortions (and sort of analog jitter) added by the engraving chain.    
  Multiples "master" => "slave", etc.. and so on... I don't exactly know. At least 3 "pass".
- Blur the L&R channels with each others a little.                                 
- Add echoes +/- 1800ms on low freq. from the two adjacent tracks
- Truncate the 16 bits by adding random bits on its 6 LSB.
   10 bits is very very very generous for a vinyl groove.
- Add ambient sounds. From the turntable, etc...
- Add snap, crackle & pop (Let keep this as an "app" / plugin for later!)
- Add distortion of the needle / stylus.
- Apply a reverse RIAA equ. curve. Again not perfect - not practically the same as the previous one.

Something is very wrong with your turntable.

I've attached a sample (30 seconds) from my recording. You can still see the 40khz carrier wave.  Strange that we allow this FUD on the forum still, but here we are.

edit: upload function not working (stuck at 100%). here's a link.

Reply #2
This has been mentioned on this site years back.

Vinyl VST Plugin

Reply #3

I've attached a sample (30 seconds) from my recording. You can still see the 40khz carrier wave.  Strange that we allow this FUD on the forum still, but here we are.

The only way is to post a picture of the signal right after the needle.
Maybe it's a current induced by the µC from microwave timer of you neighbor  ;D

There was video on vinyl in the 70s. But I don't think it was a 5MHz signal on the groove.

Reply #5
No ABX required in this topic. Seems we all have golden ears here.

Reply #6

The only way is to post a picture of the signal right after the needle.
Maybe it's a current induced by the µC from microwave timer of you neighbor  ;D

There was video on vinyl in the 70s. But I don't think it was a 5MHz signal on the groove.

We don’t keep a microwave in the mastering studio. All I know is I clearly posted evidence, and you posted nonsense and hearsay.

What has become of HydrogenAudio recently?

Can I please have clarification from a mod that we no longer need ABX results when posting assertions regarding transparency?

Or are we all digital elitists who think transparency was only achieved when we moved to digital?

Reply #7

We don’t keep a microwave in the mastering studio.

Perhaps a faulty electrical installation or any others devices. Who know !

Or are we all digital elitists who think transparency was only achieved when we moved to digital?

Of course. Vinyl can't stand the comparison and that's a well know fact. It's a antiquated medium. But why try to listen sounds way above your hearing perception, frequencies that were not intended to be on the record. Or is it a scientific recording of creatures living in caves ?!

Reply #8

There a video, probably on Youtube as it was before the Odysee and like. It's a guy filmed in its apartment, probably a audio journalist and for sure some kind of éminence grise in the audiophile field. He seems in a hurry like he's moving away. Anyway, at one point the guy talk about the day he experienced a certain kind of turntable arm of one of his friend I think. And the guy talk about the thing like it was some kind of revelation, a huge technical leap, something like passing from the Edison cylinder to the CD - it cracked me up  ;D  If anyone got the link...