Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: wires (Read 2451 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: wires

Reply #1
Code: [Select]
They electrify large halls to the point where the audience feels the song's energy penetrate their being. My favorite audio systems mimic this effect

Sigmund Freud seal of approval

Reply #2
Power cable: $19,999
Power distributor: $24,999

720 pixels image. Apologies to the owners of a 9.6kbs modem - be patient  :D

Reply #3
I'll never understand how blissfully ignorant those types are, to simple standard connectors and cables used in science and research. bandpasses of several GHz, some of them able to carry hundreds of Amps.
Yet instead of getting Lemo-Connectors for their Hi-Fi, they rather go down to some snakeoil salesman and buy cheap Chinese shit up-marketed to oblivion and labeled with all sorts of crap.
They'll never understand; and frankly, I'll never understand them either…

Reply #4
When there's too much money, somebody is there to soak it up.

That's the new banana taped to the wall.

X

Reply #5
The most incredible thing I've ever read;
You must be new to this stuff...  I assume you don't normally read Stereophile or other audiophile publications/websites? :D :D :D  

The audiophile community is dominated by nonsense and a lot of it is expensive nonsense!   Unfortunately, "audiophile" has bad connotations (among the sane population).    They tend to use a lot of flowery language that gives you a feeling or impression rather than scientific-engineering terminology like noise, distortion, and frequency response.      It's not too bad if they say a speaker (or cable) is "musical" if they also tell you why or tell you what the means in words that actually mean something.   ...But I'm not going to believe that cable has any particular sound unless it's BADLY defective.    And most audiophiles "don't believe in" blind listening tests.

There is a fair amount of nonsense in the pro audio world too, but when it comes to cables the pros are mostly concerned with reliability.

Hydrogen Audio and Audio Science Review are rare exceptions.    Here it's all about blind listening.   Measurements aren't exactly banned but not everything that's measurable is audible so if you are claiming it sounds better you have to back it up with a proper-scientific ABX Test.   (Also see the "famous" TOS #8
.)

ASR it's more focused on measurements but both are logic & science based.     Audiophoolery is also worth reading.

Speaking of cables...   I read something interesting recently...     If you buy from a retail audio/video store they have to price the receivers, speakers, and all of the regular components competitively because otherwise you're going to buy online or somewhere else.      But if they can sell you some "upgraded" cables they can get a good mark-up.    They aren't going to push stupid-expensive cables unless you are rich audiophile but they might try to sell you something for 3 or 4 times the price of cheap cables.      Usually that would be after the deal is done on the other equipment so you don't balk at spending a hundred dollars more...  Along with the high-profit extended warranty. :D

Reply #6
When there's too much money, somebody is there to soak it up.

That's the new banana taped to the wall.

Contemporary art is exempted from taxes, capital gain, inheritance tax, etc... Anything.
It's a good way for legally moving money from hand to hand. Hence the $100K banana.

Reply #7
Contemporary art is exempted from taxes, capital gain, inheritance tax, etc...
I'm not a tax expert but in the U.S. it's like any other asset.  If you sell that banana for $200K you owe taxes on the profit (long term or short-term capital gains if you are not the original artist.)  You'd also have to pay inheritance tax if you otherwise have to pay inheritance...   If that's the only thing you inherit, $100K is not enough to "qualify" for inheritance tax. 

In reality if you inherited it, you could claim it's only worth 50 cents, or worthless (probably true!).   But if you inherit it and claim it's worthless but sell it later, that's a capital gain. 

If you sell it at a loss you MIGHT be able to claim it as a tax-loss but you MIGHT have to sell something else for a profit in the same year and then you can offset the profits.  

If you are the artist (or in the art business) it's just regular revenue and it goes on the income side of your balance sheet.    The cost of the banana at the grocery store and the duct tape from the hardware store goes on the expense-side.  :D :D :D  Or if you are the art dealer and you paid $100K, that obviously goes on the expense side too.  

It's a good way for legally moving money from hand to hand. Hence the $100K banana.
And an awesome profit tor the artist (which will be taxed).  If you can sell one fruit a day you're doing pretty good and I wouldn't complain about the taxes! I'd be laughing all the way to the IRS!  :D :D :D  

Reply #8
but in the U.S.

But not here  ;D  You pay inheritance tax just above $8,000.

And if I give you, as a friend, $100K you'll pay 60% in tax to the state.

I don't know exactly how art deal works but if I buy you a banana with duct tape for $100K you could keep the full amount and just pay a little tax like 6% + 0.5% because it's a work of art.

Reply #9
Unfortunately they don't buy for good engineering.  Many rich people buy things to show that they can afford this.

Professional studios do not use this type of cables.

I didn't find where to read this, but the wires act as an RLC low pass filter.  You need the resistance, the inductance, and the capacitance.

You can check the frequency response of your cable with this tool and you can read here how to calculate the low pass filter for each.

I have an excel file to calculate the teorical cable length when the resistance is twice less than the characteristic impedance. You can replace the quality with the highest difference between the lowest and the highest audible frequency at db SPL. Sorry but I didn't translate this file from my native language.

Reply #10
Many rich people buy things to show that they can afford this.

The rich ones that do that either aren't rich for very long or have some insecurities if they feel the need to show off their wealth.