Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting APE to FLAC (Read 3310 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting APE to FLAC

Should I be using Monkey's GUI to decompress the APE to WAV, then encode to FLAC?

Or will I get the same result by just using the convert in foobar and going straight from APE to FLAC?

Converting APE to FLAC

Reply #1
The results (which can be verified by MD5 sums (or "fingerprints")) are identical.
Go ahead with foobar2000

Converting APE to FLAC

Reply #2
Make sure you remember to turn off the DSP and Replaygain from the Diskwriter/Converter preferences if you truly want the results to be the same.

Converting APE to FLAC

Reply #3
Will do, thanks guys. 

Converting APE to FLAC

Reply #4
There was some discussion recently about the official APE decoder and how it may not report invalid checksums properly. I've used a hex editor on APE files to test foobar, and it's decoder works fine so I would recommend it over anything else just to be safe. I've thought about switching away from APE as well mainly because of this, but since I only use foobar and it is 100% reliable with APE files, I decided to stick the format for now. The encoding speed is fast, decoding speed is alright (kind of slow, but faster than most encoders so I don't see it when transcoding), file size at -c3000 is better than FLAC or Wavpack, and CPU usage during playback is generally 3% or less. If I were to switch, I'd probably pick Wavpack since it's pretty close file size-wise, and is better performance-wise. Sorry, just babbling now heh...