Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Comparing Flac- with MP3-Files (Read 5682 times) previous topic - next topic

Comparing Flac- with MP3-Files

I've encoded all may flac-files to mp3 with foobar (add directory, erase cue-sheets and then convert).

When I now compare the number of files (with windows explorer) there are 4678 flac-files on source-disc and 4673 mp3-files on destination-disc. 5 files are lost, bad.

Does somebody know an easy solution, to find out, which files are lost in this long encoding-session? Maybe there is a solution to get two lists of the filenames (only of flac and mp3-files, forget covers and cuesheets...) and compare them automatically to show the difference.

Would be very fine, if somebody can give me a nice solution for my problem (mabye this 5 songs are the best of my collection  )

Reply #1
I've encoded all may flac-files to mp3 with foobar (add directory, erase cue-sheets and then convert).

When I now compare the number of files (with windows explorer) there are 4678 flac-files on source-disc and 4673 mp3-files on destination-disc. 5 files are lost, bad.

Does somebody know an easy solution, to find out, which files are lost in this long encoding-session? Maybe there is a solution to get two lists of the filenames (only of flac and mp3-files, forget covers and cuesheets...) and compare them automatically to show the difference.

Would be very fine, if somebody can give me a nice solution for my problem (mabye this 5 songs are the best of my collection  )
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320560"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Theres an easy way to get a list of each (mp3 and flac) but going over that list will be a pain in the ass.

open a command prompt in windows.

at the prompt type in the drive letter your flac files are on followed by a colon and hit enter *for example only my music is on the D: drive* ( D:  ENTER)

you should now see D:\> as the prompt

type "DIR *.FLAC /S > FLAC.TXT" without the quotes and hit enter.

that gives you a list of flac files on that drive and the /s makes the search into subdirectories ie folders.

so now change the drive letter to your mp3 files and enter
"DIR *.MP3 /S > MP3.TXT" without the quotes and hit enter.

you can print the files out and painstakingly compare them.

fyi 4ooo songs will be alot of paper.

Reply #2
What I would do is check, let's say 50 files at once, mark exactly 50 songs in both the mp3 and the flac-playlist, then if both markings end with the same file, if they do, then the missing files are down the playlist.
You get it?

Reply #3
eyemthatguy has the right idea, but here's what would make it simpler:

Run cmd.exe and then change to the drive containing your music.
First, run:
DIR /ON /B /S *.FLAC > FLAC.TXT

Then, run:
DIR /ON /B /S *.MP3 > MP3.TXT

Then, open MP3.TXT in your text editor of choice, and use Find/Replace to change all .mp3 to .flac and save the file.

Then, use a diff program such as CSDiff to compare the two files. It should come up with 5 changes -- those will be your missing files.

EDIT: This may not work if your mp3 and flac files are in different directories... in that case you'd have to fiddle with the dirnames in one file so that the paths appear the same.

Reply #4
Just make 2 different playlists, one with flac, one with mp3. sort them in the same way, sorting by filename will probably be the best.

Take random samples at positions on the playlist, say every 500 songs
If they match, there is nothing missing in that set of 500 songs, scale it down to every 100 or so if there is, and youll find those missing 5 songs pretty quiclky

Reply #5
I was going to suggest the same as falling down the stairs last night, but my wife ordered me to turn the PC off.

As well as replacing .mp3 with .flac in mp3.txt you could possibly remove the root path from both files as well, e.g. : replace "C:\My MP3 Files" with "", and "F:\My FLAC Files" with "".  This will hopefully give you something like "\<artist>\<album>\<tracknumber> - <title>.flac" for each row in both files (obviously depending on your file naming convention).

I use ExamDiff to compare text files.  I will check out CSDiff.

blue57's suggestion makes sense too.  More time, but less "complicated", and may be useful if file naming conventions are different in the two folders.

Good luck.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #6
Thanks to all for your help, I will try it this day! 

Another thing, which is interesting:

As mentioned before, Explorer said (after using the search-function with "*.flac"), that I have 4678 flac-files.
When I mark all my flac-files in foobars playlist (which I used to encode) and choose "properties" then it counts only 4675 songs. Explorer said (after encoding), there are 4673 MP3-files.

So there are three songs lost by importing flac-files to foobar and two songs during encoding those flac-files 
Very strange. Could someone imagine, how this could happen?

Here's my way to import my flac-files:

Add directory (with all my flac-files in different subdirectories)
...that takes a while
then "search", type "cue"
after that, use "delete"
mark all songs with strg-A
choose convert and put those songs on a external harddisc
fan is spinning up

Reply #7
1: is it possible you have multiple entries for single files?  If you do, something may be written over a second or even third time as you progress.

2: following up on the flac/mp3 dir commands, try a program like WinMerge, which, after the find/replace to mp3 on the flac one, can give you a visual of what has changed. (http://winmerge.sourceforge.net/)

Of course, that will only work if your post-conversion file names are the same as the flac file names.