Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Automatically switch to apev2 tag tape (Read 6853 times) previous topic - next topic

Automatically switch to apev2 tag tape

hi, i was using the foobar v0.9 beta 13 until i updated. in the beta there was the possibility to let foobar automatically delete the id3v2 and id3v1 tag type and only store the tagz in the apev2 tag type. i am really missing this function. could i just not find it or did this handy thing got kicked out?

and i know i could change the tag type by clicking the option in the context menu but that would be too much work to do it all the time...

Reply #1
Default tag type is now ID3v1 and ID3v2 instead of APEv2. There are insolvable issues when using APEv2 with MP3, which is why it is no longer done by default.

(That doesn't mean ID3v2 doesn't suck balls, but at least, it can theorethically work)

Reply #2
There are insolvable issues when using APEv2 with MP3, which is why it is no longer done by default.
I'm using APEv2 and ID3v1 with foobar 0.8.3: does it mean that this is no longer recommended and I should use ID3v2 and ID3v1 when switching to foobar 0.9? IOW, is the new default considered less "problematic" for MP3 tagging?

Alessandro

Reply #3
Personally I still consider APEv2 + ID3v1 to be the best compromise when it comes to MP3 tagging, so I'm kinda sad that this function had to go, but you can still manually adjust tagging types.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #4
Personally I still consider APEv2 + ID3v1 to be the best compromise when it comes to MP3 tagging, so I'm kinda sad that this function had to go, but you can still manually adjust tagging types.
Thanks for your reply and yes, that's what I was planning to do (manual adjustment); just wanted to know the experts' opinion.

Regards.

Alessandro

Reply #5
If an option were to be added that would let you set the default tag types, that would be great.
I blow chunks.

Reply #6
you can highlight your playlist and right click go to "Tagging" -> "Mp3 Tag Types...." and select what you want.

Reply #7
what are these issues with apev2?

also, is it recommended to use id3v1, id3v2 and apev2?
I'am using python scripts which rely on apev2 tags, so I don't really want to use only id3v2.

Reply #8
what are these issues with apev2?
APEv2 tags on MP3 may confuse MP3 decoders, get decoded as noise or interfere with gapless playback in rare cases. This is not an issue when the decoder detects APEv2 tags and skips them.

also, is it recommended to use id3v1, id3v2 and apev2?
I'am using python scripts which rely on apev2 tags, so I don't really want to use only id3v2.
You might keep the APEv2 tags if the applications your are using are all APEv2-aware. I'd recommend using ID3v2 because it's more wide-spread and designed for use with MP3s (no false syncs on proper ID3v2 writers for example).
python-mutagen seems to support the ID3v2.4 tags written by foobar2000 0.9.

Reply #9
One big problem the developers overlooked is the fact that some libraries (like mine) include flac and ape files intermixed with a majority of mp3's. If I want to select my entire library and change the tags, the option to do so is not available because you inevitably select some lossless files as well. The only way to circumvent this is to sort a column by tag type (which means enabling column headers, which I do not have visible by default), and then select all the MP3's.

Reply #10
You can use the very nice component 'Database search' from foosion's stable components package, switch to search by codec and enter 'MP3' as pattern.
The Shift+Return keyboard shortcut feeds the search result to your active playlist and you can apply the tag changes.

Reply #11
One big problem the developers overlooked is the fact that some libraries (like mine) include flac and ape files intermixed with a majority of mp3's. If I want to select my entire library and change the tags, the option to do so is not available because you inevitably select some lossless files as well. The only way to circumvent this is to sort a column by tag type (which means enabling column headers, which I do not have visible by default), and then select all the MP3's.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374646"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are so many possibilities to just select mp3 files and put them in one playlist. One easy way would be to just open the Album list (not the panel) and write "%__codec% IS MP3" in the "Filter" field. Then just add the whole displayed tree to a playlist. Another way would be to create an autoplaylist.

edit: Florian was obviously faster (with just another method)

Reply #12
You can use the very nice component 'Database search' from foosion's stable components package, switch to search by codec and enter 'MP3' as pattern.
The Shift+Return keyboard shortcut feeds the search result to your active playlist and you can apply the tag changes.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374649"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Even easier, you can middle-click the result list to select all items and open the context menu in one step.

Reply #13
So, I have to manually set "Tagging" -> "Mp3 Tag Types...." for every new mp3 file? Even if they are already tagged in a not-fb2k-standard-way?

I suppose when I load an already apev2 tagged mp3 into the playlist any changes to the tag will be written into the apev2 tag and I don't have to set "Mp3 Tag Types...", but when I add a mp3 without any tag I have to set the tag type manually?

Reply #14
I suppose when I load an already apev2 tagged mp3 into the playlist any changes to the tag will be written into the apev2 tag and I don't have to set "Mp3 Tag Types...", but when I add a mp3 without any tag I have to set the tag type manually?

Yes. Please have a look at the FAQ.

Reply #15
Yes. Please have a look at the FAQ.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374690"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

foobar2000 updates existings tags and adds ID3v1 (and ID3v2.4 if necessary) to files without tags.

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me, whether mp3 tag types changes apply to all new mp3 files from then on or only to the new mp3 files I do a "Mp3 Tag Types..." on.

I guess the latter is the case?

EDIT: Yep it is... did a test  <makes note in his head: always do "Mp3 tag types..." first>

Reply #16
I guess the latter is the case?
Yes, exactly.

Reply #17
Well, this means in case of newly created (by "converting" to mp3) files people who use apev2+id3v1 or apev2 only, have to either do a rewrite of tags or look for software that supports id3v2.4.

Hm, I usally use the fabulous MP3tag anyway for tagging files and I use apev2 for mp3s. So removing the id3v2 tag will always be necessary for me when I convert tracks to mp3 with fb2k. Is there an option to disable tag-writing in fb2k completely or for converted tracks (which would be better)? I can't find one, not in "Tagging" nor "Converter" preferences.

Reply #18
Well, this means in case of newly created (by "converting" to mp3) files people who use apev2+id3v1 or apev2 only, have to either do a rewrite of tags or look for software that supports id3v2.4.
Yes.

Is there an option to disable tag-writing in fb2k completely or for converted tracks (which would be better)? I can't find one, not in "Tagging" nor "Converter" preferences.
No. I think this option would be not very popular, because you better have *any* tags in your converted files which you can change to your prefered tagging format than no tags.

Reply #19
So, there's no possibility to let Foobar2k 0.9 write APEv2 tags by default, right? Are there at least some options hidden anywhere in the preferences where I can set where to write the ID3v2 tag? (The standard also supports ID3v2 tags at the END of the file like APEv2 did) Or can I specify the amount of padding when writing ID3v2 tags anywhere? Tagging mp3 files directly on a portable hooked via USB1 is a PITA when the whole file needs to be rewritten. :-(

Sebi

Reply #20
There are no hidden options or other tweaks regarding ID3v2 padding size, ID3v2.4 tag position or to write APEv2 by default. Btw, I'm not aware of any portable that supports appended ID3v2.4 tags. Does your portable support APEv2?

Maybe you can reserve some padding when creating your MP3 files trough LAME (--pad-id3v2 would reserve 128 bytes IIRC).

Reply #21
I don't know if my portable supports ID3v2 tags at the end of files. (I don't think it does). For compatibility reasons I'm adding an ID3v1 tag, too. ID3v1 + APEv2 worked fine for me (both at the end, fast editing on slow devices).

Sebi