Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME 3.90 goes gold?! (Read 6780 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

I just checked sourceforge.net and found out that version.h has been updated.  It seems that LAME 3.90 is not beta anymore!   

# define LAME_MAJOR_VERSION      3      /* Major version number */
# define LAME_MINOR_VERSION    90      /* Minor version number */
# define LAME_ALPHA_VERSION      0      /* Patch level of alpha version, otherwise zero */
# define LAME_BETA_VERSION      0      /* Patch level of beta  version, otherwise zero */

[span style='font-size:9']Admin's note:  Yep, it's true!  3.90 is officially stable! 

All of the lame_dm revision (latest was rev10) changes are included!

You can see the changelog here:

http://lame.sourceforge.net/history.html

And of course you can get your binaries courtesy of Mitiok:

http://mitiok.free.fr/[/span]

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #1
Hah, there's gonna be a 3.91 alpha any minute now  (check history)
\"The true method of knowledge is experiment.\" - William Blake

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #2
Good news, that's a cool  Xmas present !

Thanks Dibrom for the great work

Merry Xmas & a Happy New year to you all at hydrogenaudio  !

xtian

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #3
Just a beginner (sort of) and wondering if all your revisions- including revision 10- are included in 3.90? Sorry if this is a naive question. Thanks for your unreal amount of work and info that you share on this site. Happy Holidays too- cadabra3

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #4
Yep, all the work I've done on LAME up to this point is now in 3.90

Happy Holidays to everyone also!

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #5
Admin's note:  Yep, it's true!  3.90 is officially stable!
You can see the changelog here:

http://lame.sourceforge.net/history.html

There's a funny line in the Changelog:
--alt-preset vbr modes now have a fast option which offers almost no compromise in speed.

See what I mean?
--
Ge
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #6
Yeah.. just noticed that.  Well you can all blame me since I put that bit of the history up  Too bad there's no quick "edit" button..

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #7
Congrats to all the Hardcore Lamers out there!

Another reason to celebrate!!

But i still don´t know... mulled wine or Havanna ... <=> standard or extreme

Wombat
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #8
Great news !!! Beautiful presents.
Thanx for all, and merry Xmas to you, Dibrom and all Hydrogenaudio's team
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #9
Great news! AND for those who use the unofficial DLLs with the --alt-presets enabled, 3.90 'gold' versions of those will soon be available at:

http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/

The sources are unchanged(for the DLLs, that is!) For those who expressed interest in having Dibrom's tuned ABR preset available within the DLL, that is now correctly implemented in DLL3 (see the text file that comes with it for details).

Merry Xmas to all, have fun!!

john33

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #10
It's time to start burning, baby!!  Burn baby, burn!!  By the way, happy holidays everyone, especially Dibrom, the Santa Claus of LAME:P

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #11
Resistance is futile! 

And now: Let the encoding begin! :listening

Happy X-mas from stoff

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #12
Jippie!!! Thanks to all the LAME developers and a merry Christmas to you all!

Speek

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #13
Does he use the ICL or MSVC compiler?

On my old P2 I see the ICL one making a big speed difference.

Just wondering...thanks.

P.S. Now that LAME 3.90 is stable maybe I can finally get those losers at emusic.com to start using it...they still encode all their stuff using Xing and their "tech" support told me since so few people complain about it, it must be an OK encoder and I don't know what I'm talking about when I complain about the sound quality of their MP3s...

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #14
P.S. Now that LAME 3.90 is stable maybe I can finally get those losers at emusic.com to start using it...they still encode all their stuff using Xing and their "tech" support told me since so few people complain about it, it must be an OK encoder and I don't know what I'm talking about when I complain about the sound quality of their MP3s...

Send them over to:

http://ff123.net/dogies/dogies_plots.html

or

http://ff123.net/128test/interim.html

to show them hard data.  Xing is consistently rated worse than the others.

ff123

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #15
I did.

They told me more or less that they don't care...I think it's part of a sinister conspiracy

Maybe they want the MP3s to sound good enough for you to sample the album, but not actually good enough to keep them around and not buy the CD.

Since emusic.com is now owned by a major label (Vivendi I believe) that would make sense...they make you pay to get crappy MP3s and then hope it will drive "real" CD sales as you get frustrated with the poor sound quality.

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #16
HOORAY!

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #17
ummmm.  YAY!

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #18
What can I say? WOOHOO!!!!!!!! This is great fro the LAME community and the MP3 community as a whole.

Now many of us folk can focus on getting LAME usage up without having to explain to users that the software is safe to use .

Also thanks to the many users on this forum (yes it means everyone!) for making my stay feel much welcome. I like to thank some special people and these are Dibrom for his hard work on LAME "simple" preset options, mitiok for providing binaries, john33 for providing LAME and of course OGG binaries, Holgers for providing the world with a "Kick-ass" LAME frontend aptly named "RazorLame" and many more people out on this forum.

Finally I wish everyone a Happy & Wonderful & Safe Christmas and New Year, and hope to see all of you next year refreshed and ready to take new challenges in audio coding.

Cheers
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #19
Originally posted by Zaraza
Does he use the ICL or MSVC compiler?

On my old P2 I see the ICL one making a big speed difference.

Just wondering...thanks.

mitiok does use ICL v4.5 if I recall, and yes it does make a huge difference. According to Dibrom ICL encodes with slightly higher quality than the MSVC one.

Cheers
AgentMil

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #20
Yeeeeeah!

Great Xmas present, really great stuff!!! Thanks to all the developers and especially Dibrom for all the hard work. You are the best!

Since this is now a "stable" release, nobody can ever come up with any (valid) excuse why he shouldn't use LAME - great, convincing all those newbies should be a lot easier now!

Thanks again, Merry Christmas, and happy holidays to everyone!

CU

Dominic

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #21
greetz from my home too

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #22
Lame 3.90 Stable, a great Christmas present for the audio community. But the BEST present would be MusePack SV8, so I can finally encode my whole CD collection.

To everyone on Hydrogen Audio a Happy Christmas and New Year, seeya around in '02 and best wishes for bigger and better developments in the audio community!

Cheers
AgentMil

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #23
Great to have a new stable.

Perhaps in the new year we can start a few threads on some popular forums to send the message. Sort of a tag-team assault:D

But for now, I would like to thank everyone who has helped me over the last year, and to wish everyone the best Christmas they have ever had.

I am going shopping again to spoil my kids some more:D

LAME 3.90 goes gold?!

Reply #24
KennedyB4,

Wan't to help create the hype?

Go to the following sites: cdfreaks.com, cdr-zone.com, cd-rw.org and send positive comments about LAME / alt-presets. The LAME 3.90 article is up, but support is needed.