Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Connecting one amp to another, how do I set the correct line output level? (Read 2619 times) previous topic - next topic

Connecting one amp to another, how do I set the correct line output level?

I am thinking of connecting my Steinberg UR22 mkII USB audio interface and a FiiO E7 headphone amp. The idea is to enable use of two pairs of headphones, each with its own volume control.

I will connect the audio source by USB to the UR22, and connect one pair of headphones to the phones output. Another cable (dual mono jack to stereo mini jack) goes from the line out to the analog input on the FiiO E7, with a second pair of headphones connected to this amp. I am wondering what the output level on the UR22 should be set to, and if it is possible to cause some damage to the E7 or headphones with this setup?

On a side note, I usually use the UR22 when I use my headphones. When I am only listening to music playback from the computer and not recording or using the line input, does it matter how I set the balance between Input and DAW? I usually turn it all the way to DAW, which gives me plenty of volume so that I don't have to max out on the phones knob. It sounds fine to me this way, but I can't really notice any difference no matter what combination of balance and volume I use. What would be the ideal way to do this, could anything introduce unwanted noise here?

That's my output for now, I'd appreciate your input.  :)

Re: Connecting one amp to another, how do I set the correct line output level?

Reply #1
and if it is possible to cause some damage to the E7 or headphones with this setup?
No.   Overdriving an amp won't damage it.   And, it's very unlikely that the headphone amp has enough power to burn-out the headphones.

I usually turn it all the way to DAW
I assume you mean that you turn the computer's volume all the way up?   That's usually best because there can be sometimes be analog noise in the DAC/interface that gets turned up or down with the analog volume and a hotter signal gives you a better signal-to-noise ratio.    Also, with the digital volume maxed-out you are less likely to accidently blast your ears with an unexpected loud sound or loud "glitch".

But, you have to make sure that your DAW/audio player doesn't go over 0dB and clip the DAC.    DAWs can generally add gain and go over 0dB and some players (like VLC) can also add gain and go over "100%".

Reply #2
I usually turn it all the way to DAW
I assume you mean that you turn the computer's volume all the way up?

Not exactly, but the computer's volume is indeed at max. Or rather "disabled", the UR22 functions as a USB sound card handling the volume, so that adjusting the computer's level makes no difference. It's the same as when I connect the FiiO E7 to the computer.

What I meant was that there is a mix knob on the UR22 where you can adjust the balance between any line in signal (Input) and the computer audio (DAW). Naturally, turning this all the way to DAW gives the highest volume when I am only listening to music playback from my computer. I would guess this gives the best signal to noise ratio, and in theory would give less audible noise than leaving the knob centered?

Do you have any suggestions on how to get the optimal line out level for the signal going to the amp? The UR22 manual has the follow information:

LINE OUTPUT 1/L 2/R (Impedance balanced)
Maximum Output Level: +10dBu
Output Impedance: 150 Ω

Can I simply go for any level, as long as I'm not bothered by any distortion?

Reply #3
I'm doing this now, the output level on the UR22 mkII set to max, and it seems to work just great.

Thank you for your input.

Reply #4
I actually did notice some distortion on loud passages, so I turned the output level down to around 80% or so, at around three o'clock on the dial. That solved it. Sounds nice.