Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp3 - beware of geeks bearing gifts (Read 5786 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp3 - beware of geeks bearing gifts

Hi - quick question - can one of the more knowledgeable parties on this board give me a quick run down of the benefits that winamp 3 will bring to our particular tinkering community.

Looking at the way the files have installed in the Winamp 3 directory - do I take it that Winamp 3 will be a voyage of discovery for the plug-in creators and that a bit like the introduction of windows 2000 into the consumer market Winamp3 is going to cause a lot of plug-ins to be rewritten

i saw Mennos earlier posting with regard to the AAC plug-in and I 've no doubt that andre is far too busy to think of an MPC plug-in at the mo for it - so what are the estimates for how long before 3 replaces the 2 series and do inital tests reveal any startling improvements over 2?

Comments, Thor - as I know you have a passing acquaintance with the guts of this beast

Regards

Bladeraptor

Reply #1
the (audio) plugin architecture of winamp3 is superior to winamp2:
- pipelined architecture, output and dsp plugins are equal and many of them can be used at the same time
- input plugins will eat unicode charakters
- a.s.o. (look at the sdk)

only support for old vis plugins (all input plugins will have to be rewritten)

components are very flexible, you can delete the default ones (mb, media library etc.) and add your own ones, you can even build an own player on top of wasabi

animated freeform skins with alpha transparencies

it's ready when it's ready (team nullsofts answer to release date questions)

winamp2 and winamp3 will coexist for some time, a comparison in early beta stage is unfair (eg. no plugin configuration so far)

btw. i don't see a big step from nt4 to w2k (except for game compatiblity maybe)

Reply #2
it is technically possible to write an input plugin wrapper which runs wa2 plugins under wa3, but it would suck big time - new plugins will simply work better. also, it's hell of a lot easier to make wa3 plugins than wa2 ones (getting vorbis plugin to work took about 2 hours, that was my first wa3 plugin).
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #3
Originally posted by zZzZzZz
it is technically possible to write an input plugin wrapper which runs wa2 plugins under wa3.

Good idea! Who would do it?

Reply #4
i don't think i feel like writing one, i'll rather write a big bunch of input plugins for various formats because somebody will have to make them sooner or later anyway (planning to do APE plugin next).

Reply #5
Maybe you could contact Frank Klemm and look into writing an mpc plugin..

I've seen him mention somewhere that he eventually plans on turning his excellent command line decoder into a library.. which would make something like a plugin based off of it even more trivial.  Worth a shot maybe.. I know many people are looking forward to MPC functionality under WA3.

Reply #6
http://www.blorp.com/~peter/zips/cnv_ape.zip
MPC will be next i think (i'll convert mppdec to a library myself if i have to).

Reply #7
Ahh.. this is great news!  Very good work you are doing with the plugins btw

Reply #8
Originally posted by zZzZzZz
[url]MPC will be next i think (i'll convert mppdec to a library myself if i have to).

You are great.
(I think people have told you that before.)

Reply #9
http://www.blorp.com/~peter/zips/cnv_mpc.zip
the code is mess now (it will be GPL'd as soon as i clean up all this crap), some features aren't working yet (no streaming), seeking is as ugly as hell; but the plugin should be usable for most people. (to be updated soon)

Reply #10
Man that was fast  Great work btw...  and feel free to post updates to your plugins in the news forum if you'd like, I'll just validate them and they will get added to the front page.

Reply #11
Awesome!!!

Reply #12
cnv_mpc source code released.
http://www.blorp.com/~peter/zips/cnv_mpc_src.zip
also, cnv_mpc preview #2 has been there for some time (no new changes since that build)

Reply #13
here ya go: http://www.blorp.com/~peter/zips/wa2input.zip (RTFM carefully before using, midi/cdda seeking bar is broken with latest non-public wa3 build)