Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1/4" TRS to RCA cable to be used with an E-MU 0 (Read 4990 times) previous topic - next topic

1/4" TRS to RCA cable to be used with an E-MU 0

I am in the process of upgrading my 2ch system and I was wondering if the following would work. I have a pair of speaker and a pair of stereo subs which will be connected to a Behringer DCX2496 to handle crossovers and DSP. My sources will be a Mac Mini with FLAC, Apple Lossless, and WAV files and also a turntable. I don't want to get a external DAC and separate analog preamp so I was wondering if I could use an E-MU 0404 usb sound device which has internal DAC and 2 analog inputs. The only thing is that the Analog inputs are 1/4" TRS.

If I were to get a cable like this one http://www.thecablefactory.net/audio-cable...-cable-361.html and connect it from my phono preamp to the 0404 would this work?

Reply #1
- Nvm.

If you connect it from a preamp, it will work, but the unit itself doesn't have one.

Reply #2
I've never used one, but doesn't the Behringer DCX2496 have a digital input? That way you could use its internal DAC, skip a set of A/D and D/A conversions, and have an overall simpler setup? You'd still need a preamp for the phono input though. And having never used one, I'm not sure how easy volume control is.

Reply #3
I wanted to bypass the use of a preamp altogether but I guess I have no choice. If I get myself a preamp can I still connect the 0404 to and and use the 0404 as a DAC coming from the Mac mini? I would like to use the DAC on the 0404 and also have the mic setup on it so I can calibrate my room response without having to disconnect the 0404.

Reply #4
I was wondering if I could use an E-MU 0404 usb sound device which has internal DAC and 2 analog inputs. The only thing is that the Analog inputs are 1/4" TRS.

If I were to get a cable like this one http://www.thecablefactory.net/audio-cable...-cable-361.html and connect it from my phono preamp to the 0404 would this work?
No.  That's the wrong adaptor.  You need a couple of "mono" connectors like this.

You can connect an unbalanced signal to an unbalanced input by grounding one of the balanced inputs.  When you plug a TS-plug into a TRS-socket, the sleeve grounds the "minus" input, which is exactly what you want.  Hopefully, this is covered in your  0404 manual.    (This works for balanced inputs, but this is not the correct way to connect a balanced output...  You should never short an output to ground!)

The TRS adapter/cable you linked to is wired for stereo (like a headhpone connector) which uses the tip for the left channel, and the ring for the right channel.

A balanced TRS connector is wired for a single-channel with the tip used for the "positive" signal, and the ring as the "negative" signal.

Reply #5
I was wondering if I could use an E-MU 0404 usb sound device which has internal DAC and 2 analog inputs. The only thing is that the Analog inputs are 1/4" TRS.

No.  That's the wrong adaptor.  You need a couple of "mono" connectors like this.

You can connect an unbalanced signal to an unbalanced input by grounding one of the balanced inputs.  When you plug a TS-plug into a TRS-socket, the sleeve grounds the "minus" input, which is exactly what you want.  Hopefully, this is covered in your  0404 manual.    (This works for balanced inputs, but this is not the correct way to connect a balanced output...  You should never short an output to ground!)

The TRS adapter/cable you linked to is wired for stereo (like a headhpone connector) which uses the tip for the left channel, and the ring for the right channel.

A balanced TRS connector is wired for a single-channel with the tip used for the "positive" signal, and the ring as the "negative" signal.

Or buy unbalanced 1/4>RCA cables (zaolla or hosa or similar)

dc