Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audiophile 2496 mixer shows 0.5dB steps (Read 2002 times) previous topic - next topic

Audiophile 2496 mixer shows 0.5dB steps

The audiophile 2496 comes with a software mixer which allows you to digitally combine and mix it's inputs and outputs, and patch them to where ever.

The mixer contains green/yellow/red level indicators, from 0 dB FS to -48 dB FS. This seems to be accurate between 0dB FS and about -35 dB FS, but not below. So, if you're trying to calibrate something, use something else!

The mixer slider controls appear to move in 0.5dB steps, from 0dB to -144 dB. The scale isn't labelled (it doesn't match the adjacent level indicators, having a much larger dB range over the same pixel range), but graphically it's non linear - one pixel movement represents 0.5dB near the top, and 2 dB near the bottom.

The problem is that, though you can set these variable attenuators in 0.5dB increments (and do so carefully and accurately using arrows at the top of the sliders), the actual attenuation amount is rounded to the nearest 1.5dB. This means that the graphical interface shows 3x more accuracy than the underlying audio engine.

This is only a problem if you are using the mixer in a level critical situation - it's internal calculations are probably very exact - it's just the attenuation amount which is rounded to the nearest 1.5dB.

You'll probably never use the mixer for something where this is critical, so it's not a huge problem. However, it's misleading for the GUI to show more accuracy than is actually available. I was using the mixer to set the level of a test tone going into a recorder; I was adjusting the levels in 0.5dB steps, but only saw 1.5dB jumps on the level indicators; I thought there was an equipment fault, but found that it is the software mixer.

M-audio: can you either make the GUI lock onto the real 1.5dB steps, or, better still, enable the mixer to actually work to 0.5dB accuracy please?

Cheers,
David.

Audiophile 2496 mixer shows 0.5dB steps

Reply #1
The problem is that, though you can set these variable attenuators in 0.5dB increments (and do so carefully and accurately using arrows at the top of the sliders), the actual attenuation amount is rounded to the nearest 1.5dB.

Yes, I was aware of that, but don't consider that much of an issue, because I use an external amp to control the output volume.

Another "strange" thing that I found in my Audiophile is that when you play sound through the monitor mixer, there's a delay of 1 sample between L and R output channels. This doesn't happen if you bypass monitor mixer, though.

I asked M-Audio support about that, but IIRC they just told me to update the drivers, which didn't solve anything.  Does that happen with your card?