Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Next Foobar version - when and what? (Read 33872 times) previous topic - next topic

Next Foobar version - when and what?

Reply #25
Yeah when I think of things that I want from foobar itself I tend to draw a blank (for some of the 3rd party components I use, it's a different matter).

I'd happily keep 8.3 for good and am more cautious when anticipating an update than eager (because of an irrational fear something might get broken) -my 'update mania' is now directed at columnsUI :-)

Other than hidden optimisations or more 'under the hood' stuff (which I seem to remember it being said was the main focus for 0.9 anyway) the only room for development that I can see is in the standard inputs area - eg faster mpc seeking (if possible, or else an option to use the old hack) or more tweaking/functionality/options with detecting/stripping/syncing mismatched tags of different kinds in mp3s - ie small, relatively low-importance format-related changes, more suited to an 8.4 not a 9.0. But given how surprisingly good foobar is (in that a lot of the good stuff was genuinely novel) I wouldn't be surprised if my imagination comes up short again when trying to predict the 0.9 improvements...

[note: NOT trying to start a wishlist, they were just examples ;-) ]

Reply #26
It seems that development has stopped. Current version is ok, but I'm always happy to see new features and bugfixes (nothing is perfect...).

If author doesn't have time/enthusiasm to continue development, maybe foobar could be fully open-sourced?

Reply #27
It seems that development has stopped.

What makes you think so? AFAIK it's far from stopped currently.
[...]nothing is perfect...)

The foobar2000 core is
If author doesn't have time/enthusiasm to continue development, maybe foobar could be fully open-sourced?

I'd say he has just the time needed to develop foobar.
Why is it so that nowadays everyone thinks like "open-source = good, closed-source = baaaaad"? Everyone seems to think that (s)he's über-cool if (s)he uses open-source programs

Reply #28
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273393"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

<FUD repelling mode>
No.

0.9 has been in development since early 2004, but because I have less time for this than usually (real life reasons), and amount of changes is far bigger than from eg. 0.7 to 0.8, it is going to take a few more months.
Since no old components work, the longer it takes, the better for you - once 0.9 component interface is frozen, it might take a few years before serious global changes are made again.

Already added features include return of lagless volume control, reimplemented internal shuffle, native multilevel undo, fast id3v2 tagging and sanely reimplemented cuesheet embedding.

Exact set of new features is still to be determined.
</FUD repelling mode>
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #29
Interesting. Thanks for the update - the inclusion of shuffle definatelly makes sense.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #30
I'd say he has just the time needed to develop foobar.
Why is it so that nowadays everyone thinks like "open-source = good, closed-source = baaaaad"? Everyone seems to think that (s)he's über-cool if (s)he uses open-source programs [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273395"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He was under the erroneous impression that development had stopped. If that were indeed the case, bringing it open-source would be an excellent way of continuing the project.
Thankfully there's no need for such things.

Reply #31
Good to hear what will be in store for us  Thanks for the update, Peter! Seems that FUD is good for at least something
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #32
Already added features include return of lagless volume control, reimplemented internal shuffle, native multilevel undo, fast id3v2 tagging and sanely reimplemented cuesheet embedding.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273396"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seeing this made my day, very cool, thanks Peter.

Reply #33
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273393"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

<FUD repelling mode>
No.

0.9 has been in development since early 2004, but because I have less time for this than usually (real life reasons), and amount of changes is far bigger than from eg. 0.7 to 0.8, it is going to take a few more months.
Since no old components work, the longer it takes, the better for you - once 0.9 component interface is frozen, it might take a few years before serious global changes are made again.

Exact set of new features is still to be determined.
</FUD repelling mode>
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=273396"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah sounds great.  The ID3v2 thing alone will solve 50% of foobar complaints I think.  Its also good to hear that foobar isn't getting SV8 syndrome.  Fear of that is what motivates these threads.

Reply #34
Any ideas if automatic update for the database (based on folders) is going to be available for 0.9?

-mig

Reply #35
...once 0.9 component interface is frozen, it might take a few years before serious global changes are made again.

If all the different working parts of Foobar are finally finalised in 0.9, wouldn't it be better (look better) if the version number gets pushed to 1.0? After all, even 0.83 is already very stable and usable (for me), barring some possible interface improvements.

Reply #36
Will the next version and/or future versions of Foobar2k allow the posibility of reading/writing binary data in ID3v2 tags?

Reply #37
Yeah when I think of things that I want from foobar itself I tend to draw a blank (for some of the 3rd party components I use, it's a different matter).

I'd happily keep 8.3 for good and am more cautious when anticipating an update than eager (because of an irrational fear something might get broken) -my 'update mania' is now directed at columnsUI :-)

Other than hidden optimisations or more 'under the hood' stuff (which I seem to remember it being said was the main focus for 0.9 anyway) the only room for development that I can see is in the standard inputs area - eg faster mpc seeking (if possible, or else an option to use the old hack) or more tweaking/functionality/options with detecting/stripping/syncing mismatched tags of different kinds in mp3s - ie small, relatively low-importance format-related changes, more suited to an 8.4 not a 9.0. But given how surprisingly good foobar is (in that a lot of the good stuff was genuinely novel) I wouldn't be surprised if my imagination comes up short again when trying to predict the 0.9 improvements...

[note: NOT trying to start a wishlist, they were just examples ;-) ]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=272425"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What about wrapping mpc in an mpeg-4 container, would that make seeking faster, the same way it does for aac?

Reply #38
Already added features include ... reimplemented internal shuffle ... .</FUD repelling mode>

This is very good news. I hope soon there'll be also a step from static playlists to dynamic directory contents...

Static playlists + file system = double organization

Reply #39
Whoa, seeing this thread makes me want 0.9 even more.

Mmmmm...features.

Reply #40
Already added features include ... reimplemented internal shuffle ... .</FUD repelling mode>

This is very good news. I hope soon there'll be also a step from static playlists to dynamic directory contents...

Static playlists + file system = double organization
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290193"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Weeeellllll, yes and no - my main organization is the file system, and I have one "Everything" playlist for that.  For newly ripped+encoded albums, I just use the masstagger's "move/rename" functionality to moved them to their proper locations.  All very very convenient.

In case someone asks, I mainly use this setting for the rename:

Code: [Select]
Music/
$substr($if(%fullalbum%,$if2(%album artist%,%artist%),%artist%),1,1)/
$if(%fullalbum%,$if2(%album artist%,%artist%),%artist%)/
$if(%fullalbum%,%album%,'(Non-Album Tracks)')/
$if(%fullalbum%,[%disc%]$num(%tracknumber%,2) - $if(%album artist%,%artist% - ))%title%

(I use a FULLALBUM tag to mark a set of tracks as an album, and adjusted upNorth's formatting scheme to switch to album mode for files that are so tagged)

In the rare case of a box set with > 9 discs, I use this:

Code: [Select]
Music/
$substr($if2(%album artist%,%artist%),1,1)/
$if2(%album artist%,%artist%)/
%album%/Volume %disc%/
$num(%tracknumber%,2) - $if(%album artist%,%artist% - )%title%

And now on-topic: I for one am not in any particular hurry to see a new version - the current release is rock-solid.

Reply #41
I agree with Zastai.  It's core system is unbelievable.  Excellent job.  I rather prefer development in the foo_ui.  For those listening.  It would be nice if there was a sidebar for the right side and it would be cool to put panel below the main playlist window.  (Wishful thinking)

Thank you foobar developers for a great player.

Reply #42
Do we need a wishlist thread?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No. They're very rarely actually useful. They tend to be more just an annoyance to the developers.

Well, seven years gone and the application is getting way more mature, is this still the view of the moderating team?

I am aware of [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=58351]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=58351[/url] , but that thread is closed and as such serves a different purpose (and IMO a good one).

Reply #43
Here usually the following happens: If you need a feature (and have verified by searching that it does not exist yet), open a new thread and request it. Popular requests usually spawn an active discussion and might one time actually be implemented. Just be aware that the probability of the request being too special is rather high. But in that case, an interested developer could use your thread as an inspiration of creating a component.