Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mumble - Custom bitrate and ms. (Read 18425 times) previous topic - next topic

Mumble - Custom bitrate and ms.

I was wondering as Mumble is an Opensource software, if i could change it to allow 2.5 ms (as opus allows it), and higher bitrate, maybe 128,156 or something?

I am not that good at compiling, but if anyone knows if it can be done without any real knowledge of coding, and maybe just change some places to allow it, it would be nice.

Reply #1
I think very high bitrates and such extremely low latency don't really make sense for VOIP applications.  What are you trying to do?

Reply #2
I think very high bitrates and such extremely low latency don't really make sense for VOIP applications.  What are you trying to do?

Probably not overall, but i only talk to one person currently.

So the low latency of 2.5 with high bitrate like 128, makes sense for us.

We are playing together and recording sometimes, and as low latency as possible really helps.
So if it´s possible to make my own with a few changes it would be awesome, but i don´t think a Public version with those features makes much sense.

Reply #3

Yeah, but  you combined latency from encoding, TCP/IP stack, network, decoding, audio output is probably 100+ ms at absolute best, and perhaps much higher if you're not geographically close to one another.

You're trying to drop it from what, 10ms?  That savings is insignificant compared to the total latency.

Reply #4

Yeah, but  you combined latency from encoding, TCP/IP stack, network, decoding, audio output is probably 100+ ms at absolute best, and perhaps much higher if you're not geographically close to one another.

You're trying to drop it from what, 10ms?  That savings is insignificant compared to the total latency.

I know that it´s very very little, but, the saving is there, and if i can change it without having to do some massive changes, why not?
It´s just an overkill feature, i know, but i would like to make it, if i can:)

Reply #5
Netjack2 might be better suited for your case than Mumble. The latest version supports Opus.
http://jackaudio.org/

Reply #6
Netjack2 might be better suited for your case than Mumble. The latest version supports Opus.
http://jackaudio.org/

Well installed it, but don´t really get how it works, but i assume it´s some Point to Point VOIP software?

But i can´t find any encoding options or Opus anywhere in the Control.

Reply #7
I think 2.5 ms frames are only really useful for specialized applications. Mumble generally does a good job at keeping latency low, but not that low. You might want to try something like Soundjack. It is possible to get to ~10 ms total one-way latency, but it requires everything to be optimized (sound card capture/playback, network stack, OS scheduler, ...).