Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: REACT 2 Released (Read 1265055 times) previous topic - next topic

REACT 2 Released

Reply #151
Are cuesheets created only with image creation when CreateAllCuesheets=1?
No, IIRC, that flag's solely to create cuesheets when track-ripping.

Well, I have CreateAllCuesheets=1, and am using track creation, and no cuesheets are created.  Is there extra code in the REACT-track.cfg that activates the actual process that I could have somehow mistakenly removed, then?
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

REACT 2 Released

Reply #152
Replay Gain: Album AND Track Gain On iPod?

Does this philosophy make sense?

Use REACT 2.0 to rip to Flac tracks and Lame tracks. Set the .ini to embed cover art in both Flac and Lame, run Replay Gain scanner in post process, record Replay Gain values to tags accordingly and apply ALBUM GAIN to mp3s, thus permanently altering the loudness of the actual digital file. 

Flacs are done and ready to be archived.

For the mp3s, use Mp3tag, (using the process described in this thread) to transfer and re-calculate the value from the Replay Gain TRACK gain field to the newly created (by mp3tag) COMMENT ITUNNORM  field (or Sound Check field) …making sure that in Options/Tags/MPEG the write section is set to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

Load mp3s to itunes library with sound check on.  Load to ipod.

OUTCOME:

With sound check on the ipod turned off, all my music will play back at the replay gain ALBUM level (because that value was applied back in REACT).

With sound check on the ipod turned on, all my music will play back at the replay gain TRACK level (because that value was transferred from the replay gain track tag in mp3tag).

I know its probably already being done out there, but I am just curious to see if it makes sense. Am I missing anything? Will this somehow screw up the RG tags or am I on the right track?

REACT 2 Released

Reply #153
Hi all,

First off, thank to Tycho for such a great tool, and for those of you that have helped refine it with ideas along the way.

I am having trouble running REACT 2 on Linux under Wine, I cannot get the hotkeys to work. When I hit F10 it goes into the drive options setup screen, so basically its still using the standard function key settings in EAC. Although when I press ALT-F2 it does try to bring up the .ini file, but it doesn't actually find the ini file correctly, so creates a new text file instead. At first I had REACT 2 it installed within a folder within my EAC folder, but thought that since it was creating a new ini file when pressing ALT-F2, that it might be looking for it at /Program Files/REACT2 which is the default folder that comes up at installation time. But deleting and then reinstalling at that location didn't help.. Has anyone had any luck getting REACT 2 working in Linux under Wine? There is probably something stupidly simple that I am missing somewhere..

So for the timebeing I have installed it on my XP partition, but now I am getting another error. When using F10, albumart.exe brings up the following: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application". Everything else works fine though. Any ideas on this one? FYI, I have already tried reinstalling a fresh download of the program but it still happens.

Thanks in advance,

REACT 2 Released

Reply #154
Replay Gain: Album AND Track Gain On iPod?

Does this philosophy make sense?

Use REACT 2.0 to rip to Flac tracks and Lame tracks. Set the .ini to embed cover art in both Flac and Lame, run Replay Gain scanner in post process, record Replay Gain values to tags accordingly and apply ALBUM GAIN to mp3s, thus permanently altering the loudness of the actual digital file. 

Flacs are done and ready to be archived.

For the mp3s, use Mp3tag, (using the process described in this thread) to transfer and re-calculate the value from the Replay Gain TRACK gain field to the newly created (by mp3tag) COMMENT ITUNNORM  field (or Sound Check field) …making sure that in Options/Tags/MPEG the write section is set to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

Load mp3s to itunes library with sound check on.  Load to ipod.

OUTCOME:

With sound check on the ipod turned off, all my music will play back at the replay gain ALBUM level (because that value was applied back in REACT).

With sound check on the ipod turned on, all my music will play back at the replay gain TRACK level (because that value was transferred from the replay gain track tag in mp3tag).

I know its probably already being done out there, but I am just curious to see if it makes sense. Am I missing anything? Will this somehow screw up the RG tags or am I on the right track?

That is the way I do it and it works slick.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

REACT 2 Released

Reply #155
I haven't seen this asked/answered yet, but I want EAC to run in burst mode, and do a test/rip compressed (shift-F6) to build the WAV file from each CD.  I haven't found anything in react.ini or the config files that stands out to trigger this action. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Never mind. I don't know how I missed it in the wiki before now, but just found it. There are some oddities I'm finding and will try to replicate. If I can, I'll post a followup.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #156

Well, I have CreateAllCuesheets=1, and am using track creation, and no cuesheets are created.  Is there extra code in the REACT-track.cfg that activates the actual process that I could have somehow mistakenly removed, then?

I'm by no means an expert on FLAC command-line options, but from the FLAC documentation it would appear that FLAC cuesheets can only be associated with image rips.  I thought I read somewhere else at HA that track-ripped FLACs can be used to burn a CD with a cuesheet, so I'm hoping SS or one of the other experts can clarify this.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #157

I am also having the same problem.  I can't find the CUE sheets generated when using "CreateAllCuesheets=1" and track creation either.

GS

REACT 2 Released

Reply #158
Press ALT+F3 in EAC and scroll down to the '---tracks---' section. Under your choosen format(s), locate this line :
Code: [Select]
IF EXIST "@albumfile@.[*].cue" COPY /Y "@albumfile@.[*].cue" .

And then change it to :
IF EXIST "@albumfile@.[mg].cue" COPY /Y "@albumfile@.[mg].cue" "@basename@.cue"

Note, that by default, then there are only copied cuesheets into the destination directory for lossless formats, but if you also want a cuesheet for a lossy format, then just copy and paste the above line into the lossy format's track section. Also, i must admit that i don't understand the original line ? The "pushd %dest%", a couple of lines above in the CFG file, makes the "%dest%" defined directory, the default directory, but then there is just used a "." as destination filename for the COPY command in the original CFG ? Anyway, i don't rip to lossless tracks, so i haven't tested the original CFG file for cuesheet creation for tracks(or my example above either).

REACT 2 Released

Reply #159
Press ALT+F3 in EAC and scroll down to the '---tracks---' section. Under your choosen format(s), locate this line :

And then change it to :

Note, that by default, then there are only copied cuesheets into the destination directory for lossless formats, but if you also want a cuesheet for a lossy format, then just copy and paste the above line into the lossy format's track section. Also, i must admit that i don't understand the original line ? The "pushd %dest%", a couple of lines above in the CFG file, makes the "%dest%" defined directory, the default directory, but then there is just used a "." as destination filename for the COPY command in the original CFG ? Anyway, i don't rip to lossless tracks, so i haven't tested the original CFG file for cuesheet creation for tracks(or my example above either).

But it isn't pulling the cuesheets in the first place, therefore, "@albumfile@.[mg].cue" DOESN'T exist, and nothing happens.  Where is the actual call to create the cuesheets in EAC occurring?
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

REACT 2 Released

Reply #160
If the "CreateAllCuesheets" variable in the ini file is set to "1", then all four types of cuesheets are made and stored in the temporary ripping directory. Then if you use my line, then the "non-compliant" cuesheet is copied from the temp directory and into the destination directory. The script ends with all temporary files in the temp directory is deleted, and that includes the four cuesheets, so if they haven't been defined in the cfg, to be copied correctly into the destination directory, then you will not see the cuesheets afterwards in the temp directory either, as they have been deleted. If they aren't made at all, in the first place(check your temp ripping folder during ripping), then your EAC gap settings aren't compatible with your drive, so you must experiment to find the correct mode for your drive i.e. either A, B or C(in secure mode).

REACT 2 Released

Reply #161
If they aren't made at all, in the first place(check your temp ripping folder during ripping), then your EAC gap settings aren't compatible with your drive, so you must experiment to find the correct mode for your drive i.e. either A, B or C(in secure mode).

This is the problem:  the cuesheets are not being made at all, in the first place.  I have checked my temp ripping folder.  My EAC gap settings are completely compatible with my drive.  I have created cuesheets for years with EAC.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #163
Eac logs and cuesheets are made for me but are never copied into the flac directory folder.  I see them in the eac destination folder during ripping and then they are deleted at the end. 

This is in my flac tracks config.
                COPY /Y "@eaclog@" "EAClog.txt"
      IF %have_cover%==1 COPY /Y "@cover@" "folder.jpg"
      IF EXIST "@albumfile@.
  • .cue" COPY /Y "@albumfile@.
  • .cue" .

The album art is copied as folder.jpg in the destination folder without a problem.  Any ideas?

REACT 2 Released

Reply #164
Any ideas?

I don't understand why the EAC log isn't copied over, as this line should do that :

I would recommend that you do a debug run.

About the cuesheet, then i don't understand the original line Tycho has made i.e. the "." defined as destination filename, but just in case that this is a bug(i couldn't find any references to using a "." as destination filename to the COPY command on SS64.com), then try this instead and this will also only copy the non-compliant cuesheet into your destination directory, instead of all four of them :

And then change it to :

REACT 2 Released

Reply #165
I have a few questions, simple I hope.

1.  Is there a way to have a FLAC image scanned for both album_RG and track_RG?  Right now it is only scanned for album_RG with flac.exe --replay-gain.

2.  Is there any way to have my track and totaltrack numbers zero-padded in the metadata for flac images and mp3 tracks?  It works ok in the filename creation, but my metadata for everything is still 1, 2, 3, etc. instead of 01, 02, 03.

Thanks for a great plugin!

REACT 2 Released

Reply #166
Here's what I want to end up with:

1. FLAC tracks (on an external drive)
2. iTunes-AAC tracks (on a local drive)

The path/filenames should be in this format: \\extdrivepath\music\pop\artist\album\(tracknum) song.flac and
C:\mymusic\pop\artist\album\(tracknum) song.m4p

For a while I was running REACT2 configured to rip both in full track mode (F4), which was working fine (mostly), but then I was influenced by postings that suggested doing an image rip to WAV and then having that decomposed to tracks was a bit more foolproof, so I've been trying that, but getting stymied each time by errors. In debug mode, I come up with the following:

Z:\Music\pop\Cars, The\The Cars Greatest Hits>C:\PROGRA~1\REACT2\tools\acdir.exe
--overwrite --output "($n) - $~t.flac" --extra-opt "|image/jpeg|||C:\EAC\The Ca
rs Greatest Hits.jpg" --pipe "TITLE $n/$N flac $#T & C:\PROGRA~1\REACT2\tools\fl
ac.exe -5 -f --picture=$#x  -T artist=$#a -T album=$#T -T title=$#t -T tracknumb
er=$n/$N -T date=$q1985$q -T genre=$qRock$q -T comment=$qCreated with EAC/REACT2
, 2007-02-01$q -T encoded-by=$qJohn$q -T encoding=$qFlac 1.1.3 -5 -f$q - -o $#o"
"C:\EAC\Ctmp1!542-react.cue"

Z:\Music\pop\Cars, The\The Cars Greatest Hits>IF 1 == 1 C:\PROGRA~1\REACT2\tools
\Glob.exe -v -c C:\PROGRA~1\REACT2\tools\metaflac.exe --add-replay-gain *.flac
Executing: C:/PROGRA~1/REACT2/tools/metaflac.exe "--add-replay-gain"
ERROR: you must specify at least one FLAC file;
       metaflac cannot be used as a pipe

I think the problem has to do with acdir.exe not splitting the WAV image file into tracks, which in turn spawns a metaflac error. Just by way of explanation, I'm ripping the WAV image to a temporary directory (C:\EAC), successfully getting a cover image, but at that point I reckon that something is misconfigured. I just can't figure out what it is.

More info: After the batch file continues execution (without doing much of anything beyond GO TO END routines) and exits, in my C:\EAC directory remain:
  • the WAV file (renamed to Ctmp1!542.wav)
  • Ctmp1!542-react.cue
  • The Cars Greatest Hits.[m].cue
  • The Cars Greatest Hits.[mc].cue
  • The Cars Greatest Hits.[mg].cue
  • The Cars Greatest Hits..cue
  • The Cars Greatest Hits.bat
  • The Cars Greatest Hits.jpg
  • The Cars Greatest Hits.log
The log file indicates no extraction problems. I'll post the operative parts of the BAT file on request, if needed.

The destination directory on my external drive (for FLAC tracks) is also created, but the only contents are 4 cuesheets, the folder.jpg cover, and eaclog.txt (with no errors indicated).

Any suggestions on edits to make or other things to try?  I'd like to get this working to see whether I like this method better than the other...and because I hate it when I can't get something to work  .

Thanks!!!

REACT 2 Released

Reply #167
I'm not crazy about following one message with another, but I think I found the solution to half the problem I was experiencing, but need some help with the other half.

I tried running acdir.exe from the command line for testing purposes and it came back complaining that it couldn't find msvcr71.dll (for some reason it wasn't in path, and REACT debug mode didn't reveal it), so after I fixed that, REACT2 was able to rip to a WAV image and then acdir decomposed it to FLAC tracks.

Now the other half of the problem is to decompose the WAV to iTunes-encoded AAC (m4a) tracks, and I hadn't noticed it before, but REACT-image.cfg has no provision for invoking iTunesEncode.exe to do this (although REACT-track does if ripping in track mode, and does the job well with the latest iTunes).

I haven't seen it mentioned at HA, but is iTunesEncode incompatible with acdir.exe?  I've tried editing REACT-image.cfg to invoke iTunesEncode, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with the iTunes COM interface and have not gotten it to run successfully (I've used some of what I found in REACT-track.cfg as a starting point, but haven't figured out some of the options).  Has anyone been able to get this to work, or am I on a hopeless quest?

BTW, I've been remiss in thanking Tycho for a very useful tool...just hoping I can get over this last hump.

Thanks, everyone!

EDIT: Alternatively, is there any possibility that Tycho will support iTunes via its COM interface directly (as Omni Encoder does) rather than indirectly through iTunesEncode, which is not longer actively supported since the source code was lost?  Seems to me that would make it possible to let REACT2 automate the process I'm trying to do (i.e., rip to WAV/cuesheet, decompose to FLAC tracks, decompose to iTunes m4a, do the right thing with tags, album/track gain, etc., and delete WAV) in one pass.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #168
I'm by no means an expert on FLAC command-line options, but from the FLAC documentation it would appear that FLAC cuesheets can only be associated with image rips.  I thought I read somewhere else at HA that track-ripped FLACs can be used to burn a CD with a cuesheet, so I'm hoping SS or one of the other experts can clarify this.

I'm not an expert either, but you can save a cue sheet for a track-based rip and use it with CD burning software to burn a CD.  The cue just tells the burner where to put the gaps, etc.  I don't know how/if REACT2 will save a cue sheet during a track based rip but if it doesn't, you can always save it yourself before you run REACT.  Then just keep it in the same folder as the flac tracks.

1.  Is there a way to have a FLAC image scanned for both album_RG and track_RG?  Right now it is only scanned for album_RG with flac.exe --replay-gain.

I doubt you can scan each track when there is only one "track" - the image file.  Could you load the image file into foobar via the cue sheet and calculate the per track values?  Where would it save them?

REACT 2 Released

Reply #169
Yes, it can be done with fb2k and this is the only way that i know of doing this. fb2k then adds the gain/peak values into extra REM entries defined for every track in the cuesheet. Also, with fb2k, then one can use all tags  wanted with images and even also use only track specific tags(not the same tag/value for each track), as fb2k just adds special track specific tags to the image file with this info.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #170
I think there might be some missing code in the REACT version that is being distributed. When ripping an image to be split into flac tracks there is no replaygain data. It seems the React-image checks the ReplayGain flag and makes command line settings for flac.exe in RG_Flac.
IF NOT @ReplayGain@==1 GOTO end_RG
    SET RG_Flac=--replay-gain

When making an image %RG_Flac% is included in flac settings.
IF NOT @Flac@==1 GOTO end_flac_tracks ...
@tools@\acdir.exe --overwrite --output "%TrackName%.flac" --extra-opt "|image/jpeg|||@cover@" --pipe "TITLE $n/$N flac $#T & @tools@\flac.exe @Opt_Flac@ %Cover_tag% %VA_tag% -T artist=$#a -T album=$#T -T title=$#t -T tracknumber=$n/$N -T date=$q@year@$q -T genre=$q@genre@$q -T comment=$q@comment@$q -T encoded-by=$q%USERNAME%$q -T encoding=$qFlac @Ver_Flac@ @Opt_Flac@$q - -o $#o" "@sourcecuesheet@" ...

I think it should be @tools@\flac.exe @Opt_Flac@ %RG_Flac% %Cover_tag%
@tools@\acdir.exe --overwrite --output "%TrackName%.flac" --extra-opt "|image/jpeg|||@cover@" --pipe "TITLE $n/$N flac $#T & @tools@\flac.exe @Opt_Flac@ %RG_Flac% %Cover_tag% %VA_tag% -T artist=$#a -T album=$#T -T title=$#t -T tracknumber=$n/$N -T date=$q@year@$q -T genre=$q@genre@$q -T comment=$q@comment@$q -T encoded-by=$q%USERNAME%$q -T encoding=$qFlac @Ver_Flac@ @Opt_Flac@$q - -o $#o" "@sourcecuesheet@"...

If you are using Wavgain and replaygain the album gain data will be copied over, but there will be nothing for track gain with original verison.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #171
I'm encoding to Wavpack tracks and itunesAAC via F4, but for some reason the REACT dos window wants me to press a key to continue after each itunesencode track is finished. Is there a way to disable this requirement? I just had to babysit the machine and "press any key" 32 times 

Also, is there a way to leave the m4a file in the itunes library instead of REACT deleting them and us having to manually add them again afterward?

REACT 2 Released

Reply #172
@great juan

The reason that the flac.exe "--replay-gain" switch isn't used for encoding FLAC track files, is that this will require that all files of an album is passed at once to flac.exe to make flac.exe able to calculate correct album gain in addition to the track gain. Their is no missing code in the FLAC tracks section, because the next line will run metaflac.exe on all the files at once with metaflac.exe's "--add-replay-gain" switch, which will calculate correct track/album gain and peak values and add that info as Vorbis comments in the files. Glob.exe is used for expanding wildcards in the win32 cli :

IF %add_rg%==1 @tools@\Glob.exe -v -c @tools@\metaflac.exe %RG_MetaFlac% *.flac

REACT 2 Released

Reply #173
Sorry to beat a dead horse but I can't figure this out. 

Cuesheets and Eaclogs are copied into my temporary directory but never to the final destination directory.  They are erased at the end of the process.  I am using tracks and have the following in my react2config for both mp3 and flac. 

IF %have_cover%==1 COPY /Y "@cover@" "folder.jpg"
      IF EXIST "@albumfile@.
  • .cue" .

Cover art works without a problem.  I tried to run debug but did not sea eaclog in the debug file.  Thanks for any help.

REACT 2 Released

Reply #174
I would change :

IF EXIST "@albumfile@.
  • .cue" .

To instead :

This will copy the non-compliant cuesheet(i'm guessing that this is what you want, and else let me now and i will change the line you need for you) to the destination directory.

Then for the lossy track files, then the line that copies the eaclog to the destination path is REM'ed out, so you need to delete the REM in front of the line, but it should work for lossless tracks, though.