Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speaker connectors suggestion (Read 3007 times) previous topic - next topic

Speaker connectors suggestion

I would like to upgrade my speakers connectors to something more reliable.

I'm tired of cheap banana plug, but I don't want to spend too much money too.

What about speakon?

I may be able to get someone 3D print some base for the connectors on my amplifier too. I already did it to replace old, cracked and badly designed connectors and it worked great.

Re: Speaker connectors suggestion

Reply #1
I would like to upgrade my speakers connectors to something more reliable.

I'm tired of cheap banana plug, but I don't want to spend too much money too.

What about speakon?

I may be able to get someone 3D print some base for the connectors on my amplifier too. I already did it to replace old, cracked and badly designed connectors and it worked great.

Speakon - excellent choice. They are part of my main system.  Part of my speaker wiring is in the wall. There are Speakons on both ends of the in-wall wiring.  Not all that costly,  and make a very low resistance connection. Twist on and twist off and latch so they don't fall apart by themselves. Can be used to connect more than one speaker (i.e., a pair) (or a 3-way triamped speaker) with just one connector.  The wall connector is flush when you disconnect the speakers. Preserve whatever polarity you use to hook up your speakers.  If you teach your wife how to connect and disconnect Speakons, she might be able to disconnect all your speaker wires, do her cleaning, and hook things back up correctly all by herself.

Reply #2
Thanks for the input.

My speakers crossovers are external so I think I could benefit for cable management with speakon.

If I understand correctly speakon connectors can be twist left or right to lock them? And it will affect the polarity? It thought they were like xrl's locking system.

While were talking about connectors is there any locking RCA plug. It would be easier for vacuum cleaning as well.

Reply #3
If I understand correctly speakon connectors can be twist left or right to lock them?

And it will affect the polarity?
1) Yes, twist lock/unlock.
2) No, polarity is fixed and can't be screwed up using speakon. Its a good choice.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #4
Thanks for the input.

My speakers crossovers are external so I think I could benefit for cable management with speakon.

If I understand correctly speakon connectors can be twist left or right to lock them? And it will affect the polarity? It thought they were like xrl's locking system.

While were talking about connectors is there any locking RCA plug. It would be easier for vacuum cleaning as well.

Just to confirm AJ's correct confirmations:

Speakons maintain polarity. You can't put them in wrong without a ton of force and doing permanent damage to them. The plugs have two protrusions that are different widths. There are two grooves in the socket with different widths that match them.

Speakons are robust.  Like XLRs, you will probably break the cable if you apply enough force to pull them apart.

Speakon contacts are hidden so that they are resistant to being inadvertently shorted when disconnected. 

Speakons have from 1 to three pairs of contacts so they are appropriate for 1, 2, and 3 way speakers with separate amps and crossovers, which is how they are commonly used. You can also use the appropriate  Speakon to connect a  stereo pairs or a LCR trio.

Speakons come with either plastic or metal shells. The come in male and female cable mounts and there are also chassis mount connectors. Chassis mount Speakons are available pre-mounted on regular sinless steel wall plates either singly or in pairs.

Speakons are latched with a locking ring that also completes engaging the contacts. They have to be locked to make a connection so inadvertently hooking them up and not locking them is not an option.  In general, anybody who figures them out enough to take them apart, can figure out how to properly reattach them.

Ready made speaker cables in various gauges from 18 down to 12 are available from live sound retailers, and custom cable shops like Markertek will fabricate non-standard Speakon cables for you at a reasonable cost.

Speakon pricing is similar to that of XLRs, and there are clone Speakons from Pacific Rim sources.  The designs are patented, but some may be on the verge or have recently run out.

In a phrase of art of the live sound community, Speakons are "Roady Proof". ;-)  IME Spouse Proof, too. Actually, I wouldn't call it Spouse Proof so much as Spouse Love.

Reply #5
In a phrase of art of the live sound community, Speakons are "Roady Proof". ;-)  IME Spouse Proof, too. Actually, I wouldn't call it Spouse Proof so much as Spouse Love.

My wife simply don't touch to my main system :p this way she can't be accused to break anything. But let see what the kids can do when they'll be older.

One last thing, do I absolutly have to change my speaker cables? I saw that there's a locking system on the connector. I currently have some belden 9497 , 16 ga, twisted.  Can I just find a tube, or anything I can find that Will fit, and put a pair of cable in it?