Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bleep.com - Warp Records MP3 site is up! (Read 10502 times) previous topic - next topic

Bleep.com - Warp Records MP3 site is up!

Warp Records just opened up http://www.warprecords.com/bleep/, their MP3 download service for artists such as Aphex Twin, Prefuse73 and Squarepusher.

The best part is, all of the MP3's are encoded with LAME 3.90.3 --alt-preset standard!

Payment can be done via Credit Card or PayPal, and the system is smart enough to even let you remotely zip up all the MP3's in your order to just download one zip file, instead of each MP3 individually!

Reply #1
OH GOD YEAH .. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I AM HAPPY.       

Reply #2
Wow, this is a very good start.
I dunno if common music listeners would bother with the fact that mp3s are in -aps though.

From their FAQ:
Finally, buying music through Bleep means that you are supporting the artists work, and in some cases you are getting mp3’s encoded by the artists themselves.

I hope their artists browse on HA then. At least read the FAQ. 

Reply #3
Kudos to them for this approach...but 1.35E for every song is too damn much. They should realize that they still sell MP3s (even if those are of good quality).

Reply #4
Wow, this is a very good start.
I dunno if common music listeners would bother with the fact that mp3s are in -aps though.

I'm not contradicting that statement, but I wonder how many 'common music listeners' are going to be listening to Warp artists...
No, I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Reply #5
I think it was almost neccesity that they used aps!! When encoding some Warp stuff ages ago with mpc, it scaled up to 700kbps!!!! Some of the electonic stuff can be real demanding!! Imagine if they tried it with 128kbps, they could probably release a new version thanks to the artifacting LOL

Out of curiosity, can one of you tell me what format they use for thier streams of the pre release stuff?? Mozilla/Konquerer on Linux here doesn't seem to do Anything!

Cheers,

Kristian

Reply #6
You monkeys. (Um...). You Spoons. (Errr...)

Paying for music?

How about

Loca Records
Language Lab

More blips than you can shake a Dibrom at. And freeeeeeeee!

My recommendations... the latest releases from Language Lab, and "E" by MeMe is a great intro to Loca.

Ave it!!!!!!!!!!

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #7
Wow.  This is really cool.  Doubly so not only because Warp is one of my favorite labels, but also because they are using --alt-preset standard.  Who'd have guessed?

Reply #8
The best part is, all of the MP3's are encoded with LAME 3.90.3 --alt-preset standard!

uhm... am I blind, or where do they claim 3.90.3?!
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #9
Have you seen this site? http://www.allofmp3.com/index2.shtml
Encode the music realtime with your chosen settings into many formats like mp3, ogg, WMA, AAC.
Very cheap with a big selection

Reply #10
Digga: Click "FAQ" and then scroll down in the column on the left.

On a side note, Prefuse 73 is awesome. 

Reply #11
Have you seen this site? http://www.allofmp3.com/index2.shtml
Encode the music realtime with your chosen settings into many formats like mp3, ogg, WMA, AAC.
Very cheap with a big selection

Did you notice that it's transcoded your chosen format from freeformat mp3 384kbps?

offtopic/  Ruairi,

Can I have some of what you're smoking? 
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #12
Boy do I feel stupid, i didnt see the "buy release" link until just now.
地獄

Reply #13

yeah, I did that from the beginning. I could find the parts where they mention lame beeing the encoder, withe setting aps, but I realy coudn't find the part where the verion is stated. I must be blind then.
I don't want to bitch around, but  the statement in the startingpost seems to be wrong.
again, no offence meant, just want to make that clear.

Reply #14

yeah, I did that from the beginning. I could find the parts where they mention lame beeing the encoder, withe setting aps, but I realy coudn't find the part where the verion is stated. I must be blind then.
I don't want to bitch around, but  the statement in the startingpost seems to be wrong.
again, no offence meant, just want to make that clear.

I doubt the information is wrong, though they may not actually say that they use 3.90.3.  I've seen people report that this is the version returned when checking the INFO tag of the downloaded files.

Reply #15
I doubt the information is wrong, though they may not actually say that they use 3.90.3.  I've seen people report that this is the version returned when checking the INFO tag of the downloaded files.

all right, thx for the info.

Reply #16
If you download a MP3, the ID3v2 under "Encoded By" says "LAME 3.90.3 --alt-preset standard"

Also, while I agree the songs are expensive, and I would rather buy the CD, there are still lots of vinyl-only or very rare releases that you just gotta get on MP3 anyway  That's my plan.

Reply #17
The attitude of the FAQ is exactly the attitude I like.

Warp Records is > 50% responsible for the person I am today

@ Ruairi : Some of the stuff on those sites is very good - thanks!  Although its not really in the same league.

Reply #18
While we're recommending music services, why not give Magnatune a go? No major artists, which isn't such a bad thing -- the Warp listeners among you should like Williamson.

The main reasons I mention Magnatune are: the price for an album is low ($8 recommended, $5 minimum); they offer free 128kbit MP3 previews; you can download the albums you buy in .flac format. This last one is the real difference between this and similar other services -- I don't have to throw the music away once I get sensitived to the artifacts in the particular encoder they use, because there is no encoder.

Reply #19
I understand that they are probably losing money even at 1.35 per track, but maybe that means paid online distribution isnt such a great idea to begin with.

I had a brief look at how affordable this business model was, and being as Warp are selling their own material (the huge cut for the record company is .. theirs) anything above 20p / $0.35E would be profit for lossy...
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #20
I'm surprised no-ones's mentioned this yet:

Q: WHY MP3 ?
A: MP3 is the most popular and universal format for digital music. It is the format that people most want, that is the easiest to play freely without any restrictions. We are also considering selling other files formats such as the second generation of lossy formats such as AAC or ogg or even lossless compressed formats such as FLAC or Monkeysaudio. If people are willing to pay a premium for the bandwidth cost they incur, then even 24bit versions of files could be sold.

So there you go, 24-bit lossless. All you have to do is put your money where your mouth is and prove there's a market for this level of quality.

Reply #21
http://www.allofmp3.com/index2.shtml
Encode the music realtime with your chosen settings into many formats ...

Did you notice that it's transcoded your chosen format from freeformat mp3 384kbps?

I couldn't find that fact (The Russian English is not always that clear  ) but you can have encoded to Musepack, which I think is remarkable.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #22
1.35 per track is too expensive.

say an album has ten songs, they expect me to pay 13.50 for mp3s?  No fucking way!

Although individual tracks are $1.35, full albums are $9.99

Aphex Twin "Drukqs" (double album) is $11.99

The Hangable Auto Bulb EP you mentioned (6 tracks) is only $4.29

I think the prices are reasonable, especially for the albums that are out of print or not available on CD. For example, after Dibrom mentioned Sabres of Paradise/Two Lone Swordsmen, I bought a TLS EP, which I liked, only to find that most of their catalog is only available thorugh import/eBay at ridiculous prices. Ditto for Boards of Canada EPs, etc.

Since all my music listening is via alt-preset standard mp3s, I find this chance to cut out the CD part of the process fantastic!

-Steve

Reply #23
I think the prices are reasonable, especially for the albums that are out of print or not available on CD.

We shouldn't forget that we still speak about a lossy format...even though --aps is great, it's still non-transparent and that's crucial especially when you consider that Warp music consists mostly of very hard to re-produce through encoding methods tracks. All those blips/crack/pops of their experimental/electronic stuff will give MP3 a hard life for sure...

Yeah...I support their decision, but this doesn't mean that 1.35E for a track is a reasonable price (taking out the rare and very hard to get records). It's too much...and the more we tolerate, the more will keep up with this kind of pricing policy.

Reply #24
1.35 per track is too expensive.

say an album has ten songs, they expect me to pay 13.50 for mp3s?  No fucking way!

Although individual tracks are $1.35, full albums are $9.99

Aphex Twin "Drukqs" (double album) is $11.99

The Hangable Auto Bulb EP you mentioned (6 tracks) is only $4.29

I think the prices are reasonable, especially for the albums that are out of print or not available on CD. For example, after Dibrom mentioned Sabres of Paradise/Two Lone Swordsmen, I bought a TLS EP, which I liked, only to find that most of their catalog is only available thorugh import/eBay at ridiculous prices. Ditto for Boards of Canada EPs, etc.

Since all my music listening is via alt-preset standard mp3s, I find this chance to cut out the CD part of the process fantastic!

-Steve

Just saw that... am feeling stupid.,
地獄