Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: cd burn software to add data session for enhanced cd (Read 11700 times) previous topic - next topic

cd burn software to add data session for enhanced cd

Hi

I've just spent an unhealthy amount of time looking at CD burning software to create Enhanced CDs (CD Extra). "All" I appear to need is a way of FIRST burning  the audio session but leaving the disc "open" and SECOND burning the data session onto the same disc (and closing the disc at this point).

I've been using either Burrrn or burnatonce for the first bit. But I can only find one piece of software - CDBurnerXP - that allows me (successfully) to add that second data session. Does that seem right? It just seems weird that no others seem to work.

InfraRecorder and DeepBurner try, but come up with errors, and ImgBurn and burnatonce don't (seem to) have the facility at all.

So my question is - does anyone know of any other (below $100?) softwares out there that can "append" or add data sessions to discs that already have one (audio) session on them, but haven't been closed yet?

Cheers
composer / producer of original music and soundtracks

Reply #1
Well, back in my Windows days I was using Feurio (the best audio cd burner software ever) to write the audio part, and Nero 5.0.x and 5.5.x (yeah, that was some time ago) to write the data part.
The point was that when adding the data session I had to choose the project type as:
"New single session data cd".  (Or starting new multisession data cd if you plan to add more data sessions).
Adding a new session did not work, only choosing "new data cd". You could try this, perhaps helps.

IIRC the data part must be in TAO, and overburning is only possible in DAO (or SAO) mode. So if the audio part is pretty long and you want to add quite some data, this might also be a problem.

Reply #2
Thanks Imre. I'll check out "Feurio" for the audio side of things - for some reason I just love "Burrrn" though! The options you are talking about on the "data" side do seem to be the ones i've tried, and as i say only seem to work successfully in CDBurnerXP?

Nero 5 (and above?) did keep cropping up in my "google" searches though, and what you've said seems to confirm this - but it seems the only (?legit) way to get that now is to buy Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 or something, and it's not so much the price as the fact it does things i don't want it for that puts me off. Also last time i uninstalled Nero it took me an hour cleaning out the registry editor afterwards.

Reply #3
If you are happy with Burrrn, I don't see any reason to try Feurio, as it is unfortunately no longer maintained.

I checked Burrrn's site, it is only for audio CDs, anyway it is using cdrdao.exe, and it is a tool for writing DAO sessions, and for CD Extra you need a tool capable of writing TAO sessions.

On burnatonce's page I found the following FAQ question and answer:

How do I create a mixed mode (audio disc with data track) cd?

* Write audio cd as normal but check 'Multisession' in writer settings.
    * Now, write data session using 'Add new session' and uncheck 'Multisession' in writer settings.

This is of 2003, but it seems that burnatonce should work.

Reply #4
Can this be somehow accomplished using Imgburn?

Reply #5
Thanks guys.

ImgBurn definitely doesn't have the facility - the creator of that has said this him/her-self - it is however capable of copying the image file from an (already-created) enhanced CD, something a lot of others don't seem capable of.

Burnatonce DOES have this facility - i was wrong to say it didn't! - but i've tried again using imre's method, and it just comes up with errors - i'm aware this could just be something on my particular system though. Oh well, CDBurnerXP it is then!

Reply #6
If you allready have ripped all your CDs in another way, then this will not be helpfull, but if you haven't, then i would recommend to extract the CD-Extra's data track into an image file instead of just a folder with the files, and that is of course for being able to retain the extra things like e.g. the apple HFS filesystem etc

Then i would recommend using Nero's 'Extras > Save Tracks' feature, to save the data track into a .nrg image file(i myself preffer v6.6.0.18 as it uses less RAM during the writing process and is less bloated), and then also to use Nero to write the .nrg image back to an appendable CD-R also.

If you extract the data track with e.g. IsoBuster instead of Nero, then most burning-apps(i don't know any ?) will not write the image back to an appendable CD-R, and you will also not be able to extract any files out of the image later on... .

So the reason for using Nero for extracting and writing the data track of CD-Extra's, is that it's the only app i have ever seen that is capable of intelligently re-allocating the filesystem so that you can extract the files out of it later on if needed, and be able to write the image file back to an appendable CD-R also.

This is a bit technical, but when i say "re-allocate the filesystem", then i'm reffering to the process Nero is doing on-the-fly by changing the filesystems references to the new blocks which now holds the files(in the image). On the original CD-Extra, then the filesystems references points to the blocks on the second session, but when that filesystem(data track) is extracted into an image file, then the references needs to be re-allocated to point to the first session, as image files always starts with the first session and not with the second, as else you cannot extract any data out of it anymore and it will seem corrupt...

Reply #7
Hi Martin - and thanks for all the details.

Sorry for the delay in responding - in the middle of another project right now and going to return to this CD Extra stuff later! - but the just of what you're saying seems to be that the problems i've been having with most of the software is that it confuses which session (first or second) the filesystem refers to. Sorry if that sounds over-simplified - i'm going to check this out again later!!

it's my own cd audio / data files i'm creating, so there isn't necessarilly any initial ripping necessary

Moderation: Removed invitation for TOS #9 violation.

Reply #8
Older Nero distributives are available on the official site: Support->Downloads->Discontinued products->Nero 6.
http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads.html
AFAIR, there is available the "Demo" mode during installation, dunno if it's still working.

By the way, Goldenhawk's CDRWIN is another CD burning program that will allow you to add data session to audio cd.

Reply #9
Thanks Egor - will check it out

Reply #10
@poke -You're most welcome, mate... Yes, there is a problem with writing data images onto appendable audio CD-Rs with many apps(to make a CD-Extra). I have also tested CDRWIN in the past, and it wouldn't work either. I only found Nero to work when i tested the different apps and hence my recommendation on that, but i didn't really could see from your posts if you where using images or not for the data track, but just in case...

<offtopic>
Anyway, maybe there are some other apps now that will also do this, as i haven't really been doing any audio ripping in the last year or so, as i practically never listen to music anymore and instead spend my time on the MSFN forum's unattended section...
</offtopic>

Reply #11
[...]I have also tested CDRWIN in the past, and it wouldn't work either.[...]

Yep, burning a second session with CDRWIN is a bit tricky. Here is the instructions that worked for me:

1. start CDRWIN
2. insert a non-finalized cd-audio recordable disc into your cd recorder
3. click on the "File Backup and Tools" button
4. choose  "Backup or Tool operation: Backup files directly (on the fly) to an ISO9660/UDF compatible disc"
5. add files to your compilation (hint: drag'n'drop can be used)
6. set the volume label under the "Advanced Options..." button
7. review the "Preserve Full Pathnames" option (if checked, will cause full pathname to appear on the target disc)
7. click start
8. Disc type: CDROM, MODE1, Write postgap: Y, Finalize: Y, Buffer Underrun Protection: Y, Open New Session: N, Test mode: N
9. click "Record Disc"

Note: burning a data session from an .iso file never worked for me.

Reply #12
Yeahh, i know that you can do that, as there really isn't any problems at all with writing the 2nd data session from simply data files, but my point where specifically about images however...

Thank's anyway though, mate

Reply #13
This is how I've been doing it for years:
Code: [Select]
HOW TO CREATE A MULTI-SESSION AUDIO CD WITH BURNATONCE:
1. Burn the audio CD portion:
Click 'Settings > Device Settings'. Now tick 'MultiSession' in the Device
Settings window. Now add your audio CD as per normal by clicking
'Mastering > Audio CD'. Click Compile when you're finished adding
audio files. When the audio CD portion is complete the disc will eject.

2. Close Burnatonce. Start Burnatonce. Re-load the disc if it's still ejected.
Now click 'Settings > Device Settings'. Now un-tick 'MultiSession' in the
Device Settings window.

3. Burn the data CD portion:
Now add your data CD files as per normal by clicking 'Mastering > Data CD'.
After adding your data CD files click 'ISO Settings' and tick 'Add new session'.
You must now manually un-tick 'Import Session' otherwise it won't work!
Click Compile when you're finished adding data files. When the data CD
portion is complete the disc will be finalized, and eject.

Note: 'Import Session' is not required and can't be used since it's only
for merging two data sessions.

4. Finished, you've created a multi-session audio CD (a.k.a. CD EXTRA
disc). Test it on both your computer and audio CD player to make sure it
works.

Tip:
You can forgo allot of settings changes in Burnatonce by instead using
the freeware Burrrn to make the audio CD portion. In Burrrn just un-tick Close
CD then you can simply go directly to step #3 in the Burnatonce instructions to
write the data CD portion. This is the method I use and it's a tidbit quicker, and
there's less of a chance of forgetting to enable/disable settings in Burnatonce.

Note:
Not all burner drives support the creation of multi-session discs even though
they're advertised as supporting them. Such is the case with some Sony/NEC
Optiarc DVD burner drives. Also some drives won't be able to load the data CD
portion of the disc.

Reply #14
Just to update, finally finished the project last week, and am still totally reliant on CDBurnerXP as the only software that would add the data session. I don't like being reliant on just one piece of software, but there you go - and so far, it's done the job.

Burnatonce SHOULD work, but, for me, doesn't - i just get

SPTILOCK:0,1,0: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG   Rev: 2.86

Warning: -C specified without -M: old session data will not be merged.
Starting write at speed 10...
Turning BURN-Proof on
Executing power calibration...
Power calibration successful.
?: I/O error.  : scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 85 DA 00 00 1A 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 21 02
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x02 (invalid address for write) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.062s timeout 180s
ERROR: Write data failed.
ERROR: Writing failed.

... and that - HONESTLY - is following the instructions kindly given on this thread to the letter!! Maybe there are other settings i need to change - or maybe it's just the type of cd burner i am using (NEC DVD-RW ND-3500AG).

Have yet to check out CDRWIN, but have downloaded Nero 5 (it seems to be available on the nero website) but not installed it yet.

Thanks for all the help!!