Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Conversion from ALAC to FLAC, automatically deleting ALAC files (Read 1175 times) previous topic - next topic

Conversion from ALAC to FLAC, automatically deleting ALAC files

Hello everybody!

Please, is there any command, configuration, script, syntax that allows me to automatically delete the converted files?

I'm converting ALAC files to FLAC and I would like foobar2000 to be able to delete ALAC files automatically, without me having to do it manually.

I looked for a solution in the player settings, but I couldn't find anything that would help me.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Conversion from ALAC to FLAC, automatically deleting ALAC files

Reply #1
Recurring question. And careful what you wish for:
If by any chance there is write caching or something like that, fb2k cannot truly know for sure that the new files are actually committed to drive, and not have a chunk waiting in the cache. That suggests you verify afterwards. And apply https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sync between conversion and verification.  It isn't foolproof if the caching lies in an external NAS, even. But at least to those of us who are not paranoid enough to reboot in between - and who anyway have open an administrator command window - then just givng the "sync" command isn't much of a job.

(I suppose you are aware that "manually" with right-click doesn't have to be performed once per file.)

Reply #2
All I wanted was something like "Delete source files after conversion", a common feature in other audio format conversion software.

Anyway, thanks for your dedication here!

Reply #3
The conversion functionality is all too much designed to offer operations where most of us absolutely don't want to do delete source.  Like,
* converting to lossy
* writing only preview clips
* applying DSPs
* converting between cue+image and single tracks - what to delete then, if you convert only a part of the image?

So a "delete after successful operation" would likely have to be restricted to cases where you convert D:\<directory tree>\filename.xxx to D:\<directory tree>\filename.yyy .  Someone could probably write that as a component, but ...

Reply #4
Someone could probably write that as a component, but ...
...it would be quicker for those who want that functionality to simply move the files they're converting to a folder that can be sent to the recycle bin post conversion.
Neither an audiophile, nor album snob. Why do ratings threads always have someone saying they don't believe in rating music?
Record Label Icons: 600x600 pngs appropriate for any color background:
freeimage.host/johnbuck/?list=images&sort=name_asc&page=1

Reply #5
Lossless to lossless.

Reply #6
...it would be quicker for those who want that functionality to simply move the files they're converting to a folder that can be sent to the recycle bin post conversion.
Assuming you don't want to run any verification, you can
1) select the files,
2) start conversion,
3) on the same selection, File Operations -> Delete - but do not hit OK yet
4) wait for conversion to finalize
5) hit "OK" to move to trash