Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New buttons in 0.9.5 beta 4 (edit: and 5) (Read 29236 times) previous topic - next topic

New buttons in 0.9.5 beta 4 (edit: and 5)

it seems the play buttons have all changed, any particular reason...
otherwise 9.5 b4 is running well no issues reported so far

Reply #1
Why not use some simple black glyph icons instead of those awkward bubbles? Preferably, these shouldnt be hardcoded at all.

Reply #2
Why not use some simple black glyph icons instead of those awkward bubbles? Preferably, these shouldnt be hardcoded at all.

I am wondering about the same thing, why change it?
I really hope that 0.9.5 final will have the possibility to customize the buttons.

Reply #3
I really hope that 0.9.5 final will have the possibility to customize the buttons.
Same here.

I actually prefer these to the ones in beta 3, but having oblong buttons is strange.

EDIT: Whoa, I like the search function tweaks. Now I wish more than even that it was a permanent field instead of a separate window.

Reply #4
Please make the buttons customizable!

also the buttons in beta 4 are stretched.

Reply #5
Yeah, they look like ellipses.
Hmm, F3 opens Playlist Search, though unlisted in the keyboard shortcuts.

edit: typo
stimulating the audio nerve directly

Reply #6
The new buttons look horrible, they wide and making foobar look like a bloated n00b player like iTunes or Winamp.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #7
In my opinion, the old buttons fit the simple and neutral appearance of foobar2000 better than the new ones.

OT: Great piece of code, nonetheless. I didn't say it before, but the layout editing mode is one of the most innovative features I ever encountered in any software.

fooruncle

Reply #8
I like the style of the new ones better. Although I agree that their shape's odd.

Reply #9
In my opinion, the old buttons fit the simple and neutral appearance of foobar2000 better than the new ones.
Yes, the very simple fb2k 0.8 ones.

Reply #10
I like the new buttons.

Although I am still in favor of customizable buttons if possible.

Either way, thanks to all the developers for all their great work.

foobar2000 + EAC + Burrrn = Happiness

Reply #11
the new buttons threw off my appearance config a tad, so I'll have to figure it out again.

the new ones aren't bad, but I agree that it should be user preference.

Reply #12
Although I think that the toolbar buttons should be customizable, I think Foobar needs a good default set. Why not use icons from the Tango! project? (http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library) They are released under a CC license. They look nice imo, they blend in well with the overall Windows GUI and they are easy on the eyes. The buttons from 0.8xx could be included as a "retro set" or something. Just my 2 cents.

Reply #13
omg, the new buttons are ugly 

old buttons in final plz

Reply #14
omg, the new buttons are ugly 

old buttons in final plz

+1

I just liked the others: plain and simple and most importantly, circular.
These ones are bulky, oblong and I hate the gradient.
These belong in winamp, not foobar2000.

Did someone request it to be changed? Or was it a dev idea?

Reply #15
+1 vote for the new icons.

Reply #16
i wouldn't mind the new ones if they were smaller and actually circular, they do look pretty nice.

Reply #17
@devs:
You are free do to what you want. It's your baby!

Imho an announcement that buttons will be changed would have been nice. They didn't fit my layout so i had to make some minor changes. No reason to start a war about button layout, though. They remainded pretty simple and functional and that's important.

But it lead me to an idea: how about bringing all toolbar items to the same default width? Or at least while you rezise them by dragging with the mouse let them "hang" shortly in a width that fits all other toolbar items?

Buttons, Layout Editing Mode Toggle and Playback Order have almost the same minimum width, so why not bring them to the same    common denominator?

If anybody likes this idea: should we start a new thread about it?

@newbuttonhaters:
Switch to columns_ui if you want custom buttons or stick with what the devs make up in their spare-time and give to you for free!

Reply #19
@devs:You are free do to what you want. It's your baby!
Thanks, Captain Obvious!

Personally I'm surprised how many people like the new buttons which we see on xp systems since 0.9 (W2K showed the old, simple black ones)... I thought anyone liked the old black ones, which are simple and neat, no alphablending crap on the edges... Non bloated icons for a non bloated player!

Reply #20
I thought anyone liked the old black ones, which are simple and neat, no alphablending crap on the edges... Non bloated icons for a non bloated player!

Thank you, Captain Propaganda, but aren't you getting a bit carried away?

Reply #21
No I don't think so, Captain Codemaster , and btw theres no Propaganda but also no brownnosing here.
IMO the old plain black buttons and fb2k just go well together. Much more like the new ones. Just an opinion.

Reply #22
I also vote for plain old simple black buttons (of 0.8 version). They look so much better.

The new icons (of beta 4) are absolutely terrible.

Reply #23
Didn't like these new buttons either...

Reply #24
This is the order of my preference:

0.8 > 0.9.5b4 > 0.9

0.8 they're plain and simple and go with anything (UI theme that is)
0.9 they're just ugly because they're very pixelated
0.9.5b4 they match the XP style theme (and not much else), but they have better anti-aliasing than the 0.9 ones, so they don't insult my eyes that much