Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Source Material to Use When Comparing Codecs? (Read 3036 times) previous topic - next topic

Source Material to Use When Comparing Codecs?

It's 6:30 AM, and I've been up all night playing with iTunes 4 instead of writing a paper I need to graduate, so that being said, I'd like some input from all you nice, intelligent people: (this is my first post here, this place looks awesome, I can't wait to waste more of my life here)

My question is, what music do you use to ABX or otherwise compare your audio codecs. I think i'm getting an iPod for graduation (yay, after 4 years, I actually have a reason to graduate), and I'd like to listen to my CDs on the go, so I'd like to start ripping them, but I think I also might get used to the convenience of iTunes, and start listening to AAC files through my home stereo as well (Klipsh and NAD stuff mostly).

Before I start the massive task of ripping all my CDs into the wrong format, I'd like to do some listening tests, but I'd like some suggestions of some songs that challenge the codecs in iTunes so I can hear the differences. I can definitely tell the difference between the CD and a 128 kbit AAC (although 128 is still impressive, and much better than a 128 kbit MP3), but not at some of the higher bitrates, but this is just in some casual tests at 6 AM, and the song didn't sound very difficult. I know that high hats and other cymbals are a good test because they can get mangled pretty badly by some codecs.

Also, any thoughts on this? As I've been reading these boards, people seem to be suggesting 192 or even 160 kbit AAC files as pretty damned good enough, is 320 just complete overkill? It is 1/4 the size, and I can't really tell the difference, but then again, hard drive space isn't an issue, although it will be on the iPod I guess. Is 256 kbit also still unneccessary? What are peoples thoughts on 192 kbit AAC files to bring my CDs with me on my hopefully soon to be new iPod?

ANYWAY.... time to go get some work done before I have to go to work at 10, god damnit, Audio is truely a disease

Reply #1
How about Burmester CD-03? It has excellent recording quality, and the music is good, too. It has almost all types of music in it, including Jazz, classics, etc.  Although it is VERY expensive  ; ok, maybe not so expensive for some people  ... I have to spend NT$700(about 20USD) to buy this CD in Taiwan.

Reply #3
This post was deleted by the author.