Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAK & UPNP Media Servers (Read 4451 times) previous topic - next topic

TAK & UPNP Media Servers

First off, thanks Thomas for all the hard work!

Anyways, I think I know the answer to my question already, but I figured I'd ask just in case. 

About two months ago I converted my 600+ GB lossless collection from FLAC to TAK to save some space, as my music-storage NAS is getting pretty full. This has worked wonderfully for me up until now, but I have since acquired an Xbox 360 that I'm using to play my collection in the living room.

Unfortunately, none of the big UPnP media servers (Tversity, Nero Mediahome, etc) can "read" TAK to transcode it, and there don't appear to be any plugins, either.

Does anybody know if there are tricks that can be done with any UPnP media servers (say, pointing it at the command-line decoder, etc) that might work? Did I miss a plugin? Am I SOL? 

Barring a TAK solution, I might re-encode my collection to APE - this will at least allow me to keep (compared to FLAC)  small files sizes. The slower decoding doesn't really bother me, but the lack of error recovery & robustness does. Does anyone know if APE has improved in that regard? I read a few threads on this, but they're a little older, and I didn't really get a "strong" conclusion out of them.

Thanks in advance!
Tim

TAK & UPNP Media Servers

Reply #1
Does anybody know if there are tricks that can be done with any UPnP media servers (say, pointing it at the command-line decoder, etc) that might work? Did I miss a plugin? Am I SOL? 

The silence is deafening. I'll take that as "I'm SOL." 

TAK & UPNP Media Servers

Reply #2
yes, you're sol. TAK is a very new codec and not everything is available...

TAK & UPNP Media Servers

Reply #3
yes, you're sol. TAK is a very new codec and not everything is available...

Yeah, I was kinda prepared for that. I'm busily transcoding to APE right now, so no real harm done. I may revisit TAK in the future one there's a little more support beyond the Foobar & Winamp plugins.

Anyways, thanks for the response.