Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54 (Read 274295 times) previous topic - next topic

Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54

Reply #125
I'm not exactly sure what's causing it. Something such as SCC vs SCC+ differences should be causing total failure on improper implementation, not this.

Yes I see now. With MSXplug in Winamp, if I force the wrong SCC mode and play a track (the mode selection seems to be the wrong way round in the config menu) it just plays the PSG channels with nothing coming from the SCC channels, not the garbled playback or occasional correct playback I'm getting with GEP.

There's some SCC+ files here (they are labeled "enhanced SCC"): http://home.hccnet.nl/s.v.nimwegen/kss/
As you can see there are not many, but they are some of the best

Reply #126
Genesis Mortal Kombat II produces clicking in the DAC.

Also Lion King "This Land."

Reply #127
Phantasy Star IV "In the Cave" is another example of DAC clicking (panning as well, which is sweet, by the way.    )

Reply #128
Posted yet another new version which should eliminate this clicking. It was a poor assumption on the behavior of panning a single source between multiple Blip_Buffers.

Reply #129
Thank you for the quick responses. 

Lion King "This Land" has crackly DAC.  Play the FM Phantasy Star (J) set and you'll hear similar artifacts.  Play "This Land" again and there will be loud distortion.

Reply #130
The enigmas of Sega FM emulation 

Reply #131
Here's a different issue that I previously mentioned:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/l5mgx9

Layout: GEP -- Fusion -- GEP -- Fusion
The first two are Vectorman "Options."  GEP plays a slightly distorted, "detuned" bass note twice.
The last two are ToeJam and Earl "Funkotronic Beat."  Again, GEP plays an incorrect bass note twice.

Maybe this has to due with the Genesis Plus GX core?

Reply #132
Nope, Genesis Plus GX plays the VGM sources correctly.

Reply #133
Meaning it would probably be beneficial to take the Genesis Plus GX core and start over again. To fix a bug I can't even hear in the samples you provided. Maybe I should chop them up into individual files so I can try to ABX them.

Reply #134
GEP is almost there.      Hopefully all it needs is a little tweaking.  I've narrowed the samples down (though "Options" was difficult).  "Funkotronic Beat" was much easier to isolate:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e63rsl

Order is always GEP -- Fusion.  The "Options" problem occurs on measure 1 beat 3 and measure 4 beat 3 (after the intro).  The "Funkotronic Beat" issue is measure 2 beat 1 and measure 4 beat 1.  Of course this then repeats throughout the songs.

Reply #135
Comparing with Fusion and Hoot, I think GEP runs the Genesis sound emulation just a hair faster.

Reply #136
SmartOne what do you think of R. Belmont's YM2612 code for MAME/M1?

Reply #137
Pretty sure M1 = Hoot = MAME, and I noticed issues with Hoot.  I still need to verify the speed difference, though.

Reply #138
It runs it at the clock rate indicated in the VGM header, which was written by whatever emulator it was logged from. It then emulates the FM chip at 1/144 that rate, then resamples the result.

Reply #139
Yeah, I don't hear any speed difference anymore.  It was just me being stupid.  It also may be due to the fact that Hoot runs from the actual roms, not VGM files, etc.  The other issues are real, however. 

1. Lion King/Phantasy Star crackliness to loud distortion
2. Vectorman and ToeJam detuned/wrong notes

Could you hear number 2 with the second sample I provided?

Reply #140
Sorry to post another (likely related) issue, but here you go:

Alisia Dragoon has a lot of wrong notes/stuff going on.  "Stage 1-2" and "Stage 1-3" to name a couple.

Reply #141
Some of those may be due to the FM emulator not being reset to the correct initial state, compared to some other emulator. I know at least one broken tune from Alisia Dragoon was fixed by playing a full log from emulator power on state.

Reply #142
VGZ/VGM don't play with foobar2000 1.01.

Reply #144
That'll do it.  Thanks.

Reply #145
Hey kode54, I just recently switched over to using Foobar. Part of the reason I'm able to use this fantastic player is due to all your excellent emu player plugins. So thanks for your hard work!

Reply #146
I've added a visualization dialog for SPC files. Currently, it's available as a pop-up, listed in the View -> Visualization menu, or a UI Element. I may get around to implementing a Columns UI extension eventually.

Reply #147
Cool.  Thanks a lot!

Reply #148
I hear a tiny crackle when switching between SPC tracks.  It may happen with other formats, but the SPCs are the most obvious.  Also, why exclude SPCs from the sample rate selection?  I know 32000 Hz is native, but so is Gaussian interpolation.

Reply #149
I hear a tiny crackle when switching between SPC tracks. It may happen with other formats, but the SPCs are the most obvious.

Doesn't happen here. Maybe it has something to do with your output settings?
Also, why exclude SPCs from the sample rate selection?  I know 32000 Hz is native, but so is Gaussian interpolation.

Game_Music_Emu doesn't actually support mixing SPCs at any other sample rate. It only supports resampling the output of the emulator using a built-in FIR resampler, so you wouldn't be getting any higher frequency content by setting the frequency to 44.1KHz or higher anyway.

Changing the interpolation method is easy. Changing the mixing frequency requires changing the echo buffer size, and since that's normally emulated to the SPC RAM, that would have to be changed to use an external buffer of some sort. Of course, I would still downsample the result and shove it into the SPC RAM anyway, just to mess with anyone who thinks they can store important data in the echo buffer without worrying about it being overwritten. (Oh, and envelope generation has to be interpolated, but that'd probably be easy.)