Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Better Zip Compression (Read 39379 times) previous topic - next topic

Better Zip Compression

Reply #150
I've tried 2 and got the same results for both  I would try more, but as I said, the savings made are so tiny there's little point, I'm sticking with the most convenient until somebody beats RAR by as much as RAR beats ZIP
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Better Zip Compression

Reply #151
I have started using your 7z zip line, and I'm impressed  In 4mb I saved ~400k, which is decent

Something that was suggested to me...  is 7z should use different algorithms depending on what it is compressing, so it automatically chooses the best options instead of you testing out 5 lines to see which is best for packing what..

Is that a possibility, and would it be included?

Better Zip Compression

Reply #152
@ Garf

Any chances for P4 optimized version of 7-zip?

Note: Garf already made such version but for currently old version of 7-zip.

Better Zip Compression

Reply #153
Hmm...  I asked the author about the possibility of customizing the SFX window, but he directed me to the NSIS installer, which I can't for the life of me figure out

I figred, if 7z had a configurable sfx option (where I can specify the extraction window's title / text / default path) then that's all I need to switch from RAR, because I can still distribute things to people...

However, on a little test..

uncompressed:
14 folders = 38.8mb
14 rar sfx's = 13.0mb
14 7z sfx's = 13.3mb

Grrr... 

Although, 7z's stripped down sfx of Quake II is 6mb smaller than rar's is..  Things like this are still holding me back

Better Zip Compression

Reply #154
Hmm...  I asked the author about the possibility of customizing the SFX window, but he directed me to the NSIS installer, which I can't for the life of me figure out

I figred, if 7z had a configurable sfx option (where I can specify the extraction window's title / text / default path) then that's all I need to switch from RAR, because I can still distribute things to people...

However, on a little test..

uncompressed:
14 folders = 38.8mb
14 rar sfx's = 13.0mb
14 7z sfx's = 13.3mb

Grrr... 

Although, 7z's stripped down sfx of Quake II is 6mb smaller than rar's is..   Things like this are still holding me back

Any additional switches used for 7-zip?

Better Zip Compression

Reply #155
Try 0=BCJ2 1=LZMA 2=LZMA 3=LZMA b0:1 b0s1:2 b0s2:3 1a=2 2a=2 3a=2 1d=16M 2d=16M 3d=16M 1fb=128 2fb=128 3fb=128 hcf=on 1mf=bt4b  (!)

I use this line by default for 7z

Better Zip Compression

Reply #156
I figred, if 7z had a configurable sfx option (where I can specify the extraction window's title / text / default path)

It has, AFAIK. It's in manual (cmdline version -> switches -> -sfx ... sfx modules for installers).

You'll need to 'copy /b' sfx module (upx'd setup module 7zs.sfx is about 55k), config text file (with window name, start prompt, deflt path) and archive itself as .exe.

Better Zip Compression

Reply #157
Yeah a couple of other people directed me to that...  but you can only merge a .7z, the config.txt and the 7zS.sfx (sfx module for installers)..  It extracts to a temporary directory and then runs the installer... meaning you've got to figure out how to use NSIS or whatever, adding another 40kb to your archive.

Afaik the config.txt system doesn't work with the 7z equivalent of a sfx-rar archive..

Better Zip Compression

Reply #159
Version 3.08 beta          2003-08-19
  --------------------------------------
    - Compress dialog:
      - Supporting fast compressing mode (-mx=1 switch)
      - Multi-threading option for Multi-Processor systems
        or Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading
      - Encypt file names option
    - New context menu items:
      - Extract here
      - Extract to <Folder>
      - Compress and email
    - Internal reconstruction, registry using was reduced.
    - New localization: Esperanto

It can be downloaded from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...?group_id=14481

Better Zip Compression

Reply #160
http://www.klaimsoft.com/winuha/

*  WinUHA  2.0 RC1 (2005.02.27)

+Translation Engine
        +SFX Support (only for 0.6)
        +UHARC 0.6 and 0.4 Support
        +Temp Extraction
        +Archive Folders Tree
        +Extraction Paths History
        +New (Self Made) Graphical Objects: Ratio InfoBar, Folders Panel
        +Cascade Shell Context Menu
        +Custom Command Line
        +Many Other Changes and Options
        !Shell Menu too large sometimes
        !wrong visualization of some characters
        !Unable to open Archive if it as "%" in filename
        !Windows 9x Shell Icons Bug Fixed
        !Other bug fixes

Better Zip Compression

Reply #161
How does that UHA compare to 7z?

Better Zip Compression

Reply #162
Wow, didn't know UHA was at version 0.6 already. I thought development stopped at 0.4.

Better Zip Compression

Reply #163
I've a question. The main advantage of zip was that it can be used on many platforms. In terms of compression there are other superior formats like RAR, ACE etc.

Now, I understand that 7-zip offers a better compression than RAR, but do these 'new' zip formats still have the advantage that pretty much everbody can just unzip them? I doubt it since 7-zip for instance comes as a exe...

I'd be also interested how it comepares to 7-zip
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Better Zip Compression

Reply #164
Im pretty sure there is a command line version of 7-Zip you know. But anyway, with a GUI, anyone can extract 7-Zip now even if they dont have 7-Zip itself since WinRar supports it.  The people who dont have WinRar or another program that supports as many formats are few and far between these days..

edit: Yea, i was right the CLI is available on the 7-Zip homepage.