Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: tag, vorbiscomment and flac (Read 5953 times) previous topic - next topic

tag, vorbiscomment and flac

I just cannot seem to get the combination working...

I am using latest tag, flac and vorbis comment (which is in the path)...

vorbis comment won't take flac files as the input source...

--force ogg in tag got me errors (I can dupilcate, case-if you want the specific error message)

no --force ogg put id3v1 tags on there, which interestingly were shown on my lcd display, but yielded the metadata error message speek writes about in his bugreport on sourceforge when loaded in winamp, and then the display shows "invalid...."

running win98se...

I am lost-any and all help is much appreciated...

Thanks, in advance.

-macdaddy

Reply #1
btw, I am getting nowhere with metaflac, too. Could anybody be so kind as to post a sample command line for this program...

Thanks.

Reply #2
i'm having the same problems. interestly, in tag's help file it does not actually give --force ogg as a valid option, so i guess we'll have to wait for this. i've also tried encoding as ogg-flac files, but these wouldn't even load up properly in winamp ;(

cheers. tonderai.

Reply #3
Originally posted by tonderai
i'm having the same problems. interestly, in tag's help file it does not actually give --force ogg as a valid option, so i guess we'll have to wait for this. i've also tried encoding as ogg-flac files, but these wouldn't even load up properly in winamp ;(

cheers. tonderai.
You are right-there is nothing about it in the .txt file. I simply tried it since I had used "--force ID3" with .mpc files some time back. The message in the DOS window read "error writing ogg file" (or something to that effect). When not using the "--force ogg" switch, ID3 tags are written...

Reply #4
@Macdaddy: vorbiscomment is not used anymore since 2.0 version, Tag is linked with vorbislibrary and can use Ogg tags natively.

Parameter ogg for --force is possible, but undocumented. But vorbislibraries only allow putting Ogg tags to Vorbis files. I'm working on adding native FLAC metadata support, but unfortunately I haven't yet had time to finish it.

The error messages Winamp plugin displayed had nothing to do with ID3 tags in FLACs, there was a minor bug in FLAC plugin that caused them. There is updated version on FLAC's homepage.

Reply #5
Case-

Thank you for your prompt response...

I don't have "ogg/vorbis" anything installed on my box-is that the problem? If so, what do I have to install (win98se)? How do I get the tags working..?

The plugin fix (for winamp) works like a charm.

As always, thank you for the assistance

Reply #6
Originally posted by macdaddy
I don't have "ogg/vorbis" anything installed on my box-is that the problem? If so, what do I have to install (win98se)? How do I get the tags working..?

No, this is not the problem. Tag includes everything needed to tag Vorbis files, but currently doesn't support native FLAC tags. I'll try to find the time to implement it soon.

Reply #7
The error messages Winamp plugin displayed had nothing to do with ID3 tags in FLACs, there was a minor bug in FLAC plugin that caused them.

So do ID3v1 tags work on Flac files? Is it worth it to even try?

I guess I won't even mess around with metaflac and vorbis comment then, especially if the latter doesn't even work. Rather, I will bide my time until you implement the function in Tag ("Tag includes everything needed to tag Vorbis files, but currently doesn't support native FLAC tags. I'll try to find the time to implement it soon")...

Many thanks.

Reply #8
Originally posted by macdaddy
So do ID3v1 tags work on Flac files? Is it worth it to even try?

Yes, ID3v1 tags are perfectly valid for FLACs. Without --force Tag puts best valid tag for filetype, and displays error if filetype can't contain supported tags.

Reply #9
Thanks for the informatioin. Hopefully I will be able to transcribe all of the information to metaflacdata at some point, but ID3v1 will do nicely for right now...

Reply #10
also, ID3v1 tags should be transcribed directly using mppenc106 (although I haven't tested this)

New Features: 

* Copy ID3V1, ID3V1.1, APE 1.0 and APE 2.0 tags from the WAV file directly to the Musepack file

but the short fields are still annoying, especially for lossless archives  does anyone know if this could be implemented in mppenc for vorbis tags - copy tags straight from FLAC>mpc?

btw thanks for your help case, and for tag - which is excellent 

cheers, tonderai.

Reply #11
How would one modify an ID3v1 tag in winamp? It is on a .flac file, and the file info dialogue does not come up (the tag info shows, but I want to be able to tag the names by hand)...

Thanks.

Reply #12
How would one modify an ID3v1 tag in winamp?

Use tag. To change the title you'd have to change the filename first. I'm sure vorbis support will be along soon enough though. Roll on replaygain and decent tagging for flac josh