Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Impressive audiocompression (Read 6567 times) previous topic - next topic

Impressive audiocompression

Hi guys!
I'd like to present you a 64kb (!) audioplayer with GUI (!) and 11(!!!)
built in melodies!!!64kb full of absolutely professional crystal-clear
electronic music!!! It has a function to render any melody to .wav!
This is what I call AUDIOCOMPRESSION!!!It's fantastic.
Tunes № 2,3,6,7,8,9,10 are full RULEZZZZZ!!!
Just hear for yourself:-)Maybe some of you will be shocked.

Best regards to everybody!!!

Reply #1
It's impressive (and old) but has relatively few to do with audio compression (I wouldn't call it 'crytal clear' either, some of the samples suffer from the low samplerate).
MODs have been using similiar techniques for a long long time.
Check farb-rausch.com for more impressive demos (Removing their readme.txt wasn't exactly polite either).
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
Well i know it's not a 'compression' but for someone it'll be a great surprise.And check out another one --a .wav compressed to 11,5 (!) kb--- it's Not a MOD technique.It is self-extracting.Put it on your desktop,execute and wait a bit.Soon you'll find a 41mb wav with cool tune on your desktop!!!

Reply #3
How is that any different from diskwriting mods?

Reply #4
Ok Devo you're cool .Let others try it.And yes,about readme.txt.I wanted to add a link later but you have done it already:)By the way,can you explain me(if you know) HOW IT WORKS?In a few words if you please.

Reply #5
wow! how is something like this possiple? They don't even cut frequencies...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #6
It's quite similiar to how mods work:
You take the basic parts of all songs, downsample/compress them (probably with ADPCM) and only save what is needed to reconstruct the complete songs from these basic parts (some parts such as a bass-drum beat or a hihat will probably be used in all of them and just adapted on-the-fly).
I can't give you any more specific information, since fr never releases source along with their demos.

Reply #7
Jojo liked it!

Reply #8
So,Devo, we can't encode usual songs using this technique,can we?

Reply #9
No. That's why it's technically not even 'compression', which would imply that you could encode/decode any kind of audio data with it.

Still impressive.

Reply #10
No. That's why it's technically not even 'compression', which would imply that you could encode/decode any kind of audio data with it.

Still impressive.

I suppose it is 'compression' in a small way - the song is broken down into its constituent parts, in the same way the old skool amiga soundtracker mods used to, and these parts are used repeatedly. You could argue it is compression.

If someone could work out how to work backwards - i.e., to take a wav, analyze it and break it into the individual instruments, it'd rock. It won't happen in our lifetime though

Reply #11
It would only work if the instruments play exactly the same way each time.

Reply #12
You take the basic parts of all songs, downsample/compress them (probably with ADPCM) and only save what is needed to reconstruct the complete songs from these basic parts (some parts such as a bass-drum beat or a hihat will probably be used in all of them and just adapted on-the-fly).

I strongly believe they use soft synth techniques instead of highly compressed short samples.

Reply #13
KB from farb-rausch has documented the synthesizer used in Farb-rasch demo's... check it out!

http://kebby.org/articles.html

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #14
argh, someone beat me too it.  But to emphasize again (considering the thread was confused and disoriented for like 15 posts), [span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%']this is not audio compression!![/span]  This is a software synthesizer utilizing oscillators and filters and such to generate unique sounds.

actually this is a 64k "musicdisk" from a "demogroup" known to make 64-kilobyte audio/visual demos (known as "intros").  This musicdisk is a compilation of all the songs from their previous intros.
here's the semi-official database entry and discussion about this music disk http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=7416

If you want to see some cool 64-kilobyte graphical demos from them, check these out on your 3D-accellerated windows PC...  Poem to a Horse and Time index and many more.  There is a whole computer art scene (the "demoscene") devoted to the creation of 256-byte, 1k, 4k, 64k, and no-limit graphical demos for all sorts of platforms (c64, PC, amiga, etc.etc.)... the demoscene has been around since the late 80s.  I often come across these "oh my god, such-and-such in 64 kilobytes!!!" posts :)
seanny.net

Reply #15
what dev0 speaks of is "mod tracking", an old amiga and PC format of computer music.  Essentially it's a type of low-tech sampler with a very, very unique sequencer.  Modern derivatives of mod-trackers include the VSTi-powered renoise and the unreliable Buzz among many others.  Many musicians came out of the tracking scene, such as Warp Record's Brothomstates (who was known as Dune of the demogroup "Orange" at the time).  Games like Unreal / Unreal Tournament and Star Control 2 and One Must Fall (etc.etc.) featured mod music.

Just like the farb-rausch music disk that was posted here features the music to their 64-kilobyte intros, the mod format itself was often used in 64k intros such as Bakkslide 7 (windows port, originally DOS 1999).  However Farb-rausch uses their own home-made software synthesizer program rather than the now-outdated mod format.
seanny.net

Reply #17
Beyond_wavwriter.exe could also be saved in a midi file which would not be bigger than 12kb. not very impressive to me.

what impresses me are the graphic demos

Reply #18
nice prog and songs

yep I think it's a module compression like, but a few sample it's very small because it's a FM synth looped (like some music modules)

http://ominiverdi.altervista.org/
this is my site with nice free downloadable music modules 
I'm from Italy.
Avatar: Giovanna Mezzogiorno, italian actress

Reply #19
I've seen someone fit a first person shooter with cutting edge graphics and everything into 100 kb. The trick was, everything was procedurally generated. I've also seen a simple game in 36 bytes. The object was to have both players press the left and right shift keys as fast as possible.

Note, however, that usually small does not equal fast. The techniques used to make a small program may reduce the efficiency considerably. A larger program may actually be more efficient.

As for modules and the like, I've done my fair share of tracking samples. Sometimes to try out a song I'm writing I'll take samples of all of my drums and track them together and play guitar and bass and sing over it, and it sounds okay. But nothing beats the human touch of a live performance. Unfortunately, tending to get musical ideas rather late at night does not lend itself to bashing away at some drums to record it. Your neighbors tend to get upset. So do the people who live in the house with you, for some odd reason.

Reply #20
I've seen someone fit a first person shooter with cutting edge graphics and everything into 100 kb. The trick was, everything was procedurally generated. Note, however, that usually small does not equal fast. The techniques used to make a small program may reduce the efficiency considerably.

Like this:
kkrieger
Here is game in 96kb!
96kB executable maybe, but it decompresses itself to fill ~650MB of memory while running. And it runs at a blazing 2fps on my Radeon 9000

Reply #21
96kB executable maybe, but it decompresses itself to fill ~650MB of memory while running. And it runs at a blazing 2fps on my Radeon 9000

Lol, same here on my 9000.  In fact, it was hardly playable on a 128 MB Mobility FireGL T2.  I finally got to see it run smoothly on a 9800 Pro.