Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Telephone programs (Read 9377 times) previous topic - next topic

Telephone programs

Speex is a very nice codec, but there is not much use for a codec whithout application support for it. So my question: Is there any program for windows which make use of Speex for voice communication over the internet?

I'm looking for something like SpeekFreely but with support for Speex.

Telephone programs

Reply #1
Speex is a very nice codec, but there is not much use for a codec whithout application support for it. So my question: Is there any program for windows which make use of Speex for voice communication over the internet?

I'm looking for something like SpeekFreely but with support for Speex.

On Windows, the only app I'm aware of is ohphone, part of OpenH323. However, if you help writing an ACM plugin, you'll have Speex in NetMeeting. As for Linux, there are already LinPhone, GnomeMeeting/OpenH323, tkphone (and probably others) supporting Speex.

Telephone programs

Reply #2
Ok. Tried that ohphone and it seemed to work well. But the CLI makes it a bit difficult to use. Maybe time to write yet another front end...

So ACM is the requirement to get the codec in NetMeeting. Do you know if there is anyone working on it now?

Telephone programs

Reply #3
Ok. Tried that ohphone and it seemed to work well. But the CLI makes it a bit difficult to use. Maybe time to write yet another front end...

So ACM is the requirement to get the codec in NetMeeting. Do you know if there is anyone working on it now?

There may be Win32 GUI's for OpenH323, I'm not sure. As for ACM, there were some people thinking about it (look in the speex-dev archive). I've been told that it's the necessary part to get Speex in NetMeeting, but I can't confirm as I just never use Windows and don't know much about it.

Telephone programs

Reply #4
As for ACM, there were some people thinking about it (look in the speex-dev archive). I've been told that it's the necessary part to get Speex in NetMeeting, but I can't confirm as I just never use Windows and don't know much about it.

Now that the acm for speex is out, I am very anxious to try it with netmeeting.  Does anyone know how to get Netmeeting to recognise the speex codec (even if it is an ugly hack)?

-CTB
-CTB

Telephone programs

Reply #6
Useful as such things might be, I would still prefer a freeware solution which would allow my computer to function as a standard telephone (so that I could call folks long-distance - even around the globe - and not be faced with the long-distance fees). A few years ago I remember there were some innovative pc-to-phone services, but as far as I know all of them now are now charging for services. Anyone know of a completely free solution, which does this?

- M.

Telephone programs

Reply #7
What about windows/msn messenger? Is it possible to have speex as the codec?

Telephone programs

Reply #8
Useful as such things might be, I would still prefer a freeware solution which would allow my computer to function as a standard telephone (so that I could call folks long-distance - even around the globe - and not be faced with the long-distance fees). A few years ago I remember there were some innovative pc-to-phone services, but as far as I know all of them now are now charging for services. Anyone know of a completely free solution, which does this?

What happens is that this *costs* money to operate. It's not like a computer-to-computer phone. Somehow, you need to transfer that to the local line at the other end. This requires some infrastructure, which is what you pay for.

Telephone programs

Reply #9

I know it isn't a computer related solution, but here in the uk (you don't say where you're from) there are now several long distance calling companies who do calls to many destinations for the price of a local call.
They don't need you to set up an account or buy credit or anything - just dial an 0845 number before dialling your overseas number. (I call NZ regularly using telediscount for less than 1p/minute).

I'm sure other countries must have similar providers available.(?)

Telephone programs

Reply #10
Hmm, i too would like to use speex for voice chats, but i dont want to use netmeeting.

A small but solid application where you would just enter the destination IP and can choose between ACM codecs would be great.

Does someone know about a small free application which supports speex/ACM-codecs?

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Telephone programs

Reply #11
You could use Miranda IM with MirandaComm Audio Communication plugin after installing Speex ACM codecs

Miranda is GNU instant messenger with support for: ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, Tlen, netsend and other protocols.
Audio plugin does not work with firewalls so I have not tested it.

mostro

Telephone programs

Reply #12
Not sure if this is what you're looking for. Teamspeak is a freeware voice communication software used mostly by gamers. Supports voice activation so with a proper headset you can use it like a phone. Has support for various codecs including speex.

A wee bit difficult to setup: you need to run a server and then every member connects to that server via the client (you can run both on the same machine). Sessions can be password protected etc.

Telephone programs

Reply #13
Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunatelly, i already tried the miranda solution, but the plugin doesn't work on my system - even withouth speex the plugin fails to load(the readme also states that it doesn't work on some systems - guess i'm on of those cases).

Teamspeek does need a server. However, i'm looking for a client-to-client solution.

i think i'll give speak feely a try:
http://www.speakfreely.org

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Telephone programs

Reply #14
I like TeamSpeak, and well, it's true that you need a server, but you can actually put a server on your own PC, and then they only need to get the Client software... Actually, the server software is much smaller than the Client software...

Telephone programs

Reply #15
I like TeamSpeak myself as well

Telephone programs

Reply #16
Although it´s a pc 2 pc phoning program,  Skype is a good tool in my eyes. It´s free and still in a beta state but under heavy development.
I use it for playing a card game with a friend of mine and works great for us !
Their page says it´s based on the "p2p-technology" of kazaa, the filesharing program.

Telephone programs

Reply #17
Their page says it´s based on the "p2p-technology" of kazaa, the filesharing program.

Yeah right. It's like your conversation is going to transit through 10 different machines in real-time... If that statement was true, I wouldn't approach that software with a 10-foot pole.

Telephone programs

Reply #18

Yeah right. It's like your conversation is going to transit through 10 different machines in real-time... If that statement was true, I wouldn't approach that software with a 10-foot pole.

Hey, anyone remember Voxchat (Voxware)?  IIRC, based on a central server that mixed voice streams, so it was something like a bad CB radio... multiple people could talk at once and it worked really well even over a 33.6k modem.  Closest thing to a voice-based IRC or something that I've seen so far, it was very entertaining to use... 

Edit -- must have been ca. 1996-1997 or thereabouts...

Telephone programs

Reply #19
Although it´s a pc 2 pc phoning program,  Skype is a good tool in my eyes. It´s free and still in a beta state but under heavy development.
I use it for playing a card game with a friend of mine and works great for us !

Skype is server based. just like kazaa.

Telephone programs

Reply #20
Hey, anyone remember Voxchat (Voxware)?  IIRC, based on a central server that mixed voice streams, so it was something like a bad CB radio... multiple people could talk at once and it worked really well even over a 33.6k modem.  Closest thing to a voice-based IRC or something that I've seen so far, it was very entertaining to use... 

Edit -- must have been ca. 1996-1997 or thereabouts...

I have TeleVox Gold and ToolVox here. I wonder if any of them works like this VoxChat you mentioned.

Also, in the spirit of this thread: I would recommend SpeakFreely as a very good and featureful app

http://www.speakfreely.org/
http://www.fourmilab.ch/speakfree/

Unfortunately, it's serverless, therefore you must be able to open ports if you are behind a Router.

Telephone programs

Reply #21
Does anyone know what does AHEAD gmbh (makers of Nero burning rom) plan to do with their SIPPS voip application? I can's logically connect their burning-rom software with VOIP/internet-telephony! So, what's the deal?

http://www.nero.com/
http://www.sippstar.com/

Telephone programs

Reply #22
Is SpeakFreely still alive?