Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: free bitrate (like Lame) vorbis encode possible? (Read 3400 times) previous topic - next topic

free bitrate (like Lame) vorbis encode possible?

Hi,

I'm new on this forum so forvige my mistakes

Ok, this is a question related to vorbis vbr rencoding. I always use Lame VBR to encode AC3 tracks from movies. Use new merger, quality 1, joint stereo. Usually get somethig beetween 112-160 kbps, depends on the sound, blablabla.

With vorbis i don't really know how to tweak it to have this kind of behaviour. I use it for low bitrates, q0 always give me incredible good results for a 64 kbps bitrate, but the thing i that with lame you let the codec flow (beetween 32 and 320 kbps), and don't know the final size. With vorbis is hard, you have to set a quality (i know this is vbr and the bitrate is only a "guess") and a average bitrate. But it seems more like an ABR encode to me, i know is not, but still you have to specifie a quality and so an average bitrate.

Ok, my question is: is it posible to run a vorbis encode so that you don't specify a quality, and let it flow beetween a min and max bitrate, so you get from the codec exactly what the file needs?

Can't do it with beesweet (it always set between max and min bitrate specified an average quality that correspond to 160 kbps, even if you don't specified a nominal bitrate), can't do it with oggdropXP, can't do it with winvorbis, and can't do it with oggenc.exe. In this last one you can specify min and max bitrate, and you have to specifie a quality, it dependes on this quality you get an average of 64 or 350 kbps.

May be i'm not clear, but the question is if there's a way to use vorbis, not specifing any average bitrate, and let it flow between a given max and min bitrate range?

Ivan

Reply #1
Code: [Select]
Usage: oggenc [options] input.wav [...]

OPTIONS:

-m, --min-bitrate    Specify a minimum bitrate (in kbps). Useful for
                     encoding for a fixed-size channel.
-M, --max-bitrate    Specify a maximum bitrate in kbps. Useful for
                     streaming applications.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #2
Exactly what it needs?

What exactly does it need?  No one can really decide that except you. It's your ears after all.

Many audiophiles have generally agreed that q6 is pretty transparent, although the truly insane will go for much higher than that.  So you may want to pick that as a start.

The numbers associated with the quality settings are there to give you an idea of about how large the file will be.  It's not quite an average.

Vorbis is a lossy codec, which means that it will remove parts of the sound that you don't want or need. In that regard, there really is no setting for "what it needs"