Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mpc Quality Settings For Dolby 2.1 Streams (Read 20837 times) previous topic - next topic

Mpc Quality Settings For Dolby 2.1 Streams

Reply #25
I believe NIN's broken was made with DPL in mind.

Reply #26
After considerably more searching than I anticipated, I happened upon the first real proof I could find that surround sound encoding is being used today on some standard audio CD's.

The web site of a CD mastering company below references only a few titles, but I am sure that this is not the first mastering company to use similar techniques.  Particularly I would think that movie soundtracks and live recordings that are also released in VHS or DVD format are very likely to contain the original Pro Logic downmixes, in stead of a completely separate (unique) stereo downmix (which would discard some of the audio information.)

http://www.fdslabs.com

I speculate that the reason for none of the titles today sporting the Dolby Pro Logic symbol is purely a financial one - it would require the use of (now almost antiquated) Dolby Pro Logic encoders as well as an endorsement by Dolby.

Reply #27
I agree with you there.  Movie soundtracks likely still contain the DPL phase information.  If you intend to listen to them in DPL, I'd use the -ms 15 mode suggested.

Reply #28
please correct me if i am wrong but, just because you dont have a "surround" recording doesnt necessarily mean that your recordings dont contain any surround information.

there has been another thread on this topic I believe.

anyway, while all music will likely output -something- to the rear channels through a dolby pro logic decoder, it was almost never intended to be there by the artists or sound engineers (i'd be curious to know any album that actually intended it).  Therefore you can get some wacky sounds, most of the time that aren't worth preserving.

hmm, have you ever listened yourself to a Logic7 / DPL2 output, of various stereo albums, even vinyl ?

Before I got my HK5000 with Logic7, I thought the same like you have written above.
Because the "old" DPL decoder output sounded crappy, dull.
There is a huge difference IMHO between Logic7- and DPL output.

Here in HA there is the rule:
First listen, then talk about it !

Reply #29
hmm, have you ever listened yourself to a Logic7 / DPL2 output, of various stereo albums, even vinyl ?

Would have to admit that I'd love to hear what DPL2 does to standard music and audio streams.

Since DPL2 seems to use the existing stereo sound to generate phantom surround channels, or the existing surround channel to generate HQ stereo surrounds for DPL recordings, I'm willing to wager a fair sum that proper stereo encoding will become more important with DPL2, lest ghastly extrapolations (not possible with normal DPL) be created from encoding artefacts.

Really envious of some of the equipment HA members have waved in front of my nose through their posts :-)  Maybe someday I will be able to live out my audio fantasies too!