Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pass a simple multiple-choice quiz before posting (Read 8618 times) previous topic - next topic

Pass a simple multiple-choice quiz before posting

doom9.org doesn't let you post for five days after registering there.

I think we should introduce something like that at HA.

Plus I think you should have to pass a simple multiple-choice quiz before posting. We'll even provide a small piece of text telling you what the correct answers are. You just have to read it, and submit the correct answers.

Please don't think for one minute that I'm joking. I think five days is too long, but I think the multiple choice quiz would at least make people read and think about the TOS.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #1
btw, I second 2bdecided's idea of an entry test.
"Thirded".
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #2
btw, I second 2bdecided's idea of an entry test.
"Thirded".

"fourthded", hopefully it could cut down on these kinds of threads that spiral on about nothing for five times as many pages as they should when people jump over here from other forums to argue
My $.02, may not be in the right currency

Reply #3
I'm not certain this approach is best, but some solution to this problem certainly would be nice.

Reply #4
I have no problem binning ignorant nonsensical posts if I get the impression that the person is either hopelessly clueless, unwilling to learn or is just trolling.

Reply #5
and thats probably a more effective approach greynol, although something a little more "automatic" then simply combing posts and threads for idiots might make life a little easier for you moderators

and this (the test thing) might not be the best approach, im not sure, i think it could be if implemented properly perhaps it could be

i feel some good ole brainstorming might be in order
My $.02, may not be in the right currency

Reply #6
I like the idea better than a waiting period.
Sometimes, you need an answer.

I recognize that some people don't want an answer, or not the one they get here.
A 5 question quiz wouldn't be much to ask.

Reply #7
I have no problem binning ignorant nonsensical posts if I get the impression that the person is either hopelessly clueless, unwilling to learn or is just trolling.
But in a way, that's ruder to the poster - and far harder work. Plus most "nonsense" posts get a reply, which makes the pruning even harder work.

I do think my idea sounds draconian - but it's apparent that a slow stream of subjectivist audiophiles is heading our way, and it's not bringing any light, just heat. What do we do about it?

Cheers,
David.

Reply #8
it's apparent that a slow stream of subjectivist audiophiles is heading our way, and it's not bringing any light, just heat. What do we do about it?
I know that personally, I'm learning to make quick judgment calls when I see them trying to flame things up. I haven't been good at that before because I enjoy a good discussion, but this is starting to get out of hand. My style used to be to post rather than act, but I'm growing out of that. Our moderator culture will shift to adapt, I suspect.

Edit: Also, if you see what David described (namely, subjectivist posters bringing "heat but not light") I encourage you to report it and explain what you see. It'll help us mods gain a sense of what the larger community feels of this phenomenon.

Reply #9
Could you think about adding a notice/text for music pirates* if the quiz or whatever is implemented? I know that this is not in the TOS but AFAIK, most of us don't like to see these people here. What do you think?

* As in you're not welcome here asking about how to make your illegally downloaded flac+cue "perfect" or whatever crap.

What about the daily advertisers? I don't think that the quiz would stop them. Are they giving you mods too much work?

Reply #11
I've advocated similar things in the past.

To some degree, the inconvenience and unfriendliness implied by a registration test is more than compensated by the unfriendliness daily demonstrated towards clueless noobs and unintentional trolls. I don't have a big problem with requiring users to think to be able to get an account here.

Reply #12
I'm all for this idea.  Doubly so if two of the quiz questions are "Have you seen the search function" and "Do you know where the wiki is".

Reply #13
perhaps limit the pre-post quiz to the user's first 50 posts, so the good posters who've been here a long time don't get unnecessarily hassled.

Reply #14
I only meant to do the quiz once when signing up - not every time you post!

Ouch - we could really make people hate HA that way!

Cheers,
David.

Reply #15
doom9.org doesn't let you post for five days after registering there.

That would limit spammer, I think - doom9 has triple more users and double more posts and low number of spam posts comparing to HA (judging by my RSS reader), although last few days I didn't saw any

Another unpopular, but effective method would be to allow registering on certain random days of the month: lets say on 3,8,15,18,21,30 or similar 

Also maybe first post by user should be approved by moderator?

Reply #16
Guys isn't this going a bit aggressive?
Let's look from the different point of view. I am registered for years, I am not posting wery frequently, I am reading the forums mainly.
And if something just really gains my interest I'm happy to thank or request additional features.
And no one knows whether I am a music pirate or not. I bet more than half of the posters are and no one was ever blaming them.

Reply #17
And no one knows whether I am a music pirate or not. I bet more than half of the posters are and no one was ever blaming them.

That's an interesting assertion. Poll anyone?

Reply #18
I'm not sure how piracy entered the discussion here. I think admin approval would be the least intrusive way.

Reply #19
Seriously, how hard would it be just to approve any first post for the mods? That would be the most effective way to avoid spam and the least annoying for users.

If my calculations and intuition are somewhat right, HA get's 30 users/day, but it doesn't even seem like we get so many posts anyway.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #20
Seriously, how hard would it be just to approve any first post for the mods? That would be the most effective way to avoid spam and the least annoying for users.

If my calculations and intuition are somewhat right, HA get's 30 users/day, but it doesn't even seem like we get so many posts anyway.

Agree. Either someone is registering to ask an intelligent question or to cause trouble. The ones who register to ask an intelligent question may not always do so, but their intentions are not to cause trouble.