Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Will cwb_hooks break? (Read 15493 times) previous topic - next topic

Will cwb_hooks break?

I just noticed this thread, but not being a dev I didn't want to respond to it directly.

But, besides the question in the title, will other components break?
elevatorladylevitateme

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #1
I know one of mine will, but it was not publicly released anyway so only a few people will be unhappy.
Stay sane, exile.

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #2
The functions and fields provided by components like foo_cwb_hooks, foo_etc, foo_func and similar will indeed no longer work in title formatting scripts, unless the component that evaluates the title formatting script adds support for the metadb_display_hook API. Besides the official components this will include components that are no longer maintained like foo_ui_panels.

Clarification: This will happen when support for the metadb_display_hook API is removed in the core, which so far won't be in 0.9.5.2 yet.

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #3
Boy, what a surprise...

With the appearent urge for customizability, I can't help but wonder why no developer (or even a decent user) has come up with a proposal for a display component that will satisfy the foobar devs.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #4
foobar2000 is not about customizability. It is very extensible and powerful, and often those two are taken to imply customizability. However, people who have been paying attention to recent development should realize that there's a clear trend towards simplicity at the cost of customizability. None of the extensibility is lost, but many features that allow in-depth customization have been cut in favour of simplicity.

Here we see a minor loss in extensibility, but there's nothing from preventing some other developer from creating an extension to replace this functionality, although it'll probably require some modifications to old components anyhow.

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #5
Clarification: This will happen when support for the metadb_display_hook API is removed in the core, which so far won't be in 0.9.5.2 yet.
But it's the component breaking sword of Damocles again. No idea if cwb_hooks would get updated soon, I was under the impression it's development has at least slowed down... but definitely not PanelsUI. Which is in use very often maybe not as the default UI, but definitely because there's no alternative for track display panel.

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #6
The functions and fields provided by components like foo_cwb_hooks, foo_etc, foo_func and similar will indeed no longer work in title formatting scripts, unless the component that evaluates the title formatting script adds support for the metadb_display_hook API.

There  is one point i don't understand: the fields will work if support for new API is added. That's how i understood the explanation in development forum. What's about the functions? It will be then impossible to add some (like $cwb_datediff)?

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #7

This sure is going to be a sad day for many foobar users!!

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #9
The way I see it is if you don't like that changes (and from what I've read, that will include me) then don't upgrade to the newest version. I'm sure foobar will lose plenty of users because of the changes that are being made, but I'm sure they will gain a few too.

If these changes do indeed happen, and cwb_hooks, panels_ui, foo_func, and foo_etc will no longer work, then I wont be upgrading unless a successor comes along that can do what they used to. I have exactly what I need in an audio player right now, and the components and extras are just the icing on the cake for me. Thats just my opinion .
Song List: keikoniumboards.ke.funpic.org/files/songlist.html

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #10
The functions and fields provided by components like foo_cwb_hooks, foo_etc, foo_func and similar will indeed no longer work in title formatting scripts, unless the component that evaluates the title formatting script adds support for the metadb_display_hook API. Besides the official components this will include components that are no longer maintained like foo_ui_panels.

Thanks for the clarification.
Removal of such a widely used API might be cause for a bump in the major version number, might it not?
I don't think there are many forum poster/users from the 0.9.0 days remaining, (I wasn't around then) but 0.9 broke everything.

I imagine this thread can be closed now, before it develops into the same pointless argument we've seen around here many times before. Peter develops foobar as he thinks is best. discussions about guesstimated user groups is ultimately as pointless as it is fruitless, since for better or worse, user's "wants" typically aren't considered.
elevatorladylevitateme

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #12
Removal of such a widely used API might be cause for a bump in the major version number, might it not?
I don't think there are many forum poster/users from the 0.9.0 days remaining, (I wasn't around then) but 0.9 broke everything.

if not a minor version number. every time I see a new version come out, even if it's a sub minor, I get excited for the time when 1.0 will arrive and angels will descend from the heavens hearalding the arrival of paradise on Earth.

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #13
In light of this, development of graphical browser has stopped. But he said he will consider making an equivalent component but doesn't rely on title formatting language for scripting.

Also, it's likely this component will still work with new foobar version without metadb_display_hook. As this component doesn't use this API as he said in an email with me.

Well, the only other component that will affect me is cwb_hooks. I use its playback queue fields and its datediff function. Datediff can be accommodated with more scripting with title formatting language anyway, which I find ironic.

[speculation]
From the start, I guess functions in title formatting were for customizing the old default user interface and masstagger script. Because of this, this language is strong enough for certain level of scripting. This development however ends up making users use it in an unintended way now. I'm thinking that if the new default user interface, quick tag, file operations and new properties dialog were there from the start then foobar title formatting language should only have fields and NO function. The new properties dialog and file operations components would need some changes though, to satisfy some cases where the use of current title formatting language functions. Of course, 3rd party developers are free to make components which use a suitable language for scripting. I wouldn't mind a foobar 1.0 like that. foobar this way won't be branded as a geek program anymore for sure and still offer its extensibility that many users like it to be.
[/speculation]

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #14
So no more titleformatting functions from third-party components ... ?  I don't care about fancy formatting at all, but I'm really going to miss $cwb_removethe, which I used for sorting ...  I also use $cwb_datediff for displaying how long since a track has been played, but that's not so important for me.

Is there going to be some replacement for any of the functionality of these two functions?

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #15
I don't care about fancy formatting at all, but I'm really going to miss $cwb_removethe, which I used for sorting ...
Facets has an option for that, and so does the "Sort by Fields..." command in foo_utils (which sorts the playlist and is independent of the chosen UI). A centralized sorting facility which includes this ability is on the todo list.

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #16
And I will miss %cwb_systemtime% for my %added% field o.0

Will cwb_hooks break?

Reply #17
You don't have to miss them, only extra functions are going to break.