Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playing certain part of a song based on a tag (Read 6583 times) previous topic - next topic

Playing certain part of a song based on a tag

I was listening to a lot of music today and thought of something that would be a very unique and potentially very useful feature. There are a lot of songs which only have a certain part that you like, or have a really long intro that you want to skip (sorry, purists). So, what if there was a component which would read a tag and tell foobar which part of the song to play? There could even be a simple scripting language for the tag which would allow you to basically create your own song mix that would play automatically. For example:
%foo_mix% tag = 2x(0:15-0:45),1x(1:10-2:30),3x(0:10-0:45)

So, that tag would play 0:15-0:45 one time, then repeat the section 1:10-2:30 twice, and finally play 0:10-0:45 three times. Of course, you could also have much simpler stuff for just skipping an intro, like: 1x(0:35-END)
Or, for skipping an outro: 1x(START-3:55)

This could also allow you to create party playlists which only play the best parts of a songs without any slowing down. And, of course, you could enable/disable the plugin using a hotkey/button/etc.

Reply #1
It might be useful for some, but i like to listen to  the whole songs

Reply #3
I'm not sure how one would accomplish this using cuesheets. I've never used them before, as I had thought they were used to store information about albums. An easy way to do this using tags would be ideal, though.

Reply #4
Check out Traktor DJ, it can automix for you.

Reply #5
The point is to have a simple way to cut parts of a song within foobar without editing the actual file. The main use for this would be to skip to the best part of a song automatically when it is played, not to do complex mixing with separate DJing software.

Reply #7
I give up

Reply #8
I like this idea, too.  There are some songs I like that either have terrible intros or outros or 15 minutes of silence before a bonus track.  This should be simple to do with some extra id3 tags to define start and stop positions.

Don't hate, people.

Reply #9
I think foo_uie_bookmarks.dll might do something like this.

Reply #10
The point is to have a simple way to cut parts of a song within foobar without editing the actual file. The main use for this would be to skip to the best part of a song automatically when it is played, not to do complex mixing with separate DJing software.

thats what cuesheets are for. I think you need to read up on them. Take an album, for instance, ripped as a single wave track. the cue sheet would allow for splits to be made within the song, w/o editing the song itself, and loaded into foobar in such a way.

I think you really need to read the links that were posted and understand cuesheets. I can make a cuesheet right now for your favourite mp3, and you can tell me what your fave parts are, and i can make it so that you can listen to those specific parts over and over again without listening to the whole song.

read. about. cuesheets.

I like this idea, too.  There are some songs I like that either have terrible intros or outros or 15 minutes of silence before a bonus track.  This should be simple to do with some extra id3 tags to define start and stop positions.

Don't hate, people.

Opeth - Deliverance has like 5min silence before a bonus track. so I made a cuesheet for the last track, loaded that, and so now i can skip right to the next part of the song without actualy editing the tags.

Read about cuesheets, people.

Reply #11
I like this idea as well, I think it would be great for the tabbing/learning of songs where you need certain parts to repeat without having to go edit a cuesheet.  Maybe there could be two extra cursors in the seekbar that will highlight a certain part of a song, one for the start of loop and the other for the end which you could actively drag around and a checkbox of sorts that could turn the loop off.  I just think this would make it much more convenient.

Reply #12
I was listening to a lot of music today and thought of something that would be a very unique and potentially very useful feature. There are a lot of songs which only have a certain part that you like, or have a really long intro that you want to skip (sorry, purists). So, what if there was a component which would read a tag and tell foobar which part of the song to play? There could even be a simple scripting language for the tag which would allow you to basically create your own song mix that would play automatically. For example:

So, that tag would play 0:15-0:45 one time, then repeat the section 1:10-2:30 twice, and finally play 0:10-0:45 three times. Of course, you could also have much simpler stuff for just skipping an intro, like: 1x(0:35-END)

This could also allow you to create party playlists which only play the best parts of a songs without any slowing down. And, of course, you could enable/disable the plugin using a hotkey/button/etc.

I understand what U want, something similar has iTunes but only from where to start and to end the song. Indeed is very useful something like this. SMART PEOPLE please do something

Reply #13
Anyway I use seek forward 30 sec. I selected a global keyboard shortcut for this action, so every time I need to skip intro I press this key.

Reply #14
like the idea too. It would be interesting to see, how they implemented it with Itunes.

So with Cuesheets I can understand, how to jump to a later start point within the file, but I don't see, how to to cut out some time at the end. Actually fbk does play it correctly with deleting an end part within the playlist, but the created cuesheet does not work afterwards.

Reply #15

alphaex32, I get what you are saying, and don't get discouraged because cue sheets cannot easily do what you want.

a long time ago I actually started implementing almost exactly what you're talking about in a player I never finished, except not as a tag, but as expressions in a playlist, i.e. instead of just selecting tracks, you could include expressions on tracks that included slicing, looping, mixing, and even sql fragments on the track database for selection.

Josh

Re: Playing certain part of a song based on a tag

Reply #16
If the goal is to repeat a (for example, beautiful) section continuously, a workaround: Audacity (easier with button) >> Transport >> Loop Play. The playback should start automatically, and loop back to the beginning when it reaches the end.