Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New Open-source video codec from the BBC (Read 4023 times) previous topic - next topic

New Open-source video codec from the BBC

Dirac is a general-purpose video codec aimed at resolutions from QCIF (180x144) to HDTV (1920x1080) progressive or interlaced. It uses wavelets, motion compensation and arithmetic coding and aims to be competitive with other state of the art codecs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/dirac/index.shtml

Links down the left-hand side.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #1
source code is available for dload...nothing more.....
i need win32 vfw dll in order to test this codec....

as site says:
A lot remains to be done to convert our promising algorithm and experimental implementation into practical useable code. This includes optimisation so that it can decode in real time. Algorithmic enhancements are needed to improve the compression performance still further. The resulting codec needs to be integrated with other parts of a compression system, such as players, and interfaced using standard IO formats. We welcome help and support in creating an open and freely available compression system based on this technology.

i hope some programmers will take notice.....
generally so far wavelets were not that successive....
i hope this one's exception......

Reply #2
I know I'm a little late because probably everybody has seen the doom9 thread on it now.  But just for the enlightment of those who have not dirac doom9 thread seems it is very slow, much much too slow to be useable in its current state.