Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME 3.98.4 - Mac OS X - Please help me I messed up big time! (Read 6720 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME 3.98.4 - Mac OS X - Please help me I messed up big time!

I don't know what I was thinking. I've had LAME 3.98.4 for quite some time now, and its been excellent. I also used ID3 Editor and all my songs/files were perfect. Flawless. Couldn't have been happier. But I got greedy. So today, I decided to try and take things a little further. I wanted to somehow customize the setting "Encoded with:" It says LAME3.98.4 and that's great, but I wanted to change it. Stupid. Long story short, I ended up losing everything due to me changing and moving things. I deleted things, tried to re-install things, and I just ended up creating one huge mess. I'm dying. I've spent 12 hours trying to figure out what to do. Someone please help me!

Reply #1
I sense that there's a question in there somewhere, but my magic decoder ring is on the fritz, so:

1) Lost what?

2) What were you using to encode - lame.exe from Terminal, XLD, ...?
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #2
I sense that there's a question in there somewhere, but my magic decoder ring is on the fritz, so:

1) Lost what?

2) What were you using to encode - lame.exe from Terminal, XLD, ...?

I'm on a Mac OS X 10.5.8 Intel Core 2 Duo. This leads me to another off topic question, but am I 32bit or 64bit. This pondered upon me today. Basically, I tried to switch some settings in the binary (the "Encoded with:") and ended up messing things up and now I have no LAME what so ever. I don't really know anything about unix, commands, binaries, or anything. I got real lucky with whatever 3.98.4 program I downloaded. I tried re-downloading the iTunes-Lame program, moving the scripts, etc. It shows up in iTunes, but when I go to import, it gives me an error message saying this:
An error occured during import:
LAME failed (5)
Arguments:--cbr, -h, -b, 320, --nores, --nohist, --mp3input, /Users/stopsign516/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Music/The Journey Has Just Begun.mp3, /Users/stopsign516/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Music/Ash Ketchum/Pokémon Audio Clips/00. The Journey Has Just Begun.mp3
Data:
Any ideas? I also have no idea what the lame.exe and dylib files mean. I'm in my usr folder though. The kinda invisible one. Any ideas what I might have done/need to replace/move/reinstall/edit?

Reply #3
OK. Deep breaths, and don't touch anything.

Now, what have you lost?

1. All the music you encoded with LAME?

2. Your iTunes Library?

3. Your copy of the LAME app?

4. The ability to use iTunes-LAME?

Whatever you have lost, has it vanished from your disk, or are you just unable to access it in the normal way?

What happens if you get out of the command line environment, and just drive your Mac from the GUI?

I'm not sure I can help you, but if you can be a bit more clear and precise about what has happened, maybe somebody can.

BTW, and FWIW, I used to use LAME with iTunes-LAME, but at some upgrade or other, it stopped working for me. And in the worst case, and assuming you can never use LAME on that Mac again (extremely unlikely), you can either use another ripper (people speak well of XLD), or use the MP3 encoder in iTunes; recent tests have shown it has pretty much caught up with LAME.

It's unlikely anything irretrievable has happened, but it will take a bit of patience and persistence to fix whatever has gone wrong, so the first thing is to be as methodical as possible in describing the problem.

Reply #4
Yes, yes... I'm a bit calmer. Funny, I actually found my post from back in August (when I first got LAME). Here is my post:

Old Post

I didn't know anything back then and still really don't either. But all of my music encoded with LAME is still there. As for the LAME app, in a moment of panic, I deleted it, re-installed it, deleted it, re-installed, and so on. I did this with LAME versions too. However, I didn't forget to switch out the script in the iTunes folder. As for the binaries and all that other stuff, I got nowhere. The LAME encoder application would open within iTunes, but like I said earlier, that's the exact message I would get. So somethings gotta be wrong. So use it, no, get it open, yes. The only thing I can recall, but I don't know what it is, and it's killing me, is that I had another file in the iTunes/Scripts folder, alongside the "Import with LAME...scpt. Another thing that I am unsure about is the two folders under the Contents folder titled MacOS and resources. Both have Universal Executable Binary Files. What do I do with them? And when I download the 3.98.4 off rarewares, what do I do with all those files? If anything? There's so many. Maybe I'm just making this difficult.

Reply #5
Dude...you could write songs for Beck.

At this point, I would second MichaelW's suggestion and strongly recommend just switching to XLD for all your ripping and encoding needs.  You do realize that ripping with iTunes leaves you with no way to verify whether or not your rips are error-free, don't you?

Is there any particular reason why you so badly want to continue using the iTunes-LAME script method?
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #6
Dude...you could write songs for Beck.

At this point, I would second MichaelW's suggestion and strongly recommend just switching to XLD for all your ripping and encoding needs.  You do realize that ripping with iTunes leaves you with no way to verify whether or not your rips are error-free, don't you?

Is there any particular reason why you so badly want to continue using the iTunes-LAME script method?

Yeah I downloaded XLD & Max, but I haven't gotten into them. I just find LAME to be so convenient. I don't know a lot of comparing different audio files, I just want to know how to get it to work again. Something's gotta be outta place. Installing a new binary in resources does nothing, so something else must be affecting the encoder.

Reply #7
Hi there, you can use LAME with Max (for sure, I have done so) and I don't doubt with XLD.

As you describe your situation, I remember that to get iTunes-LAME working, I had to do a small number of MYSTIC OPERATIONS which I didn't at all understand, but which seemed to involve various procedures of installation and path setting. And, as I say, it stopped working.

So the best way, I'm sure, if you want to use LAME is to use one of the other options. IIRC, Max lets you rip and import directly into your iTunes library, but it's no big deal if you have to do that step separately.

BTW, I like iTunes, but as with so much of Apple's stuff, to get the benefits you have to pretty much buy into their way of doing things all along the line.

Reply #8
Here's something new, and maybe this will help you understand what's not working for me. I actually re-installed an older version of 3.97, and it works! But, I'm not quite sure what's actually going on. Here is what happens:

1.) When in iTunes, and I click to open LAME at the top "Import with LAME", the iTunes-LAME application just bounces up and down, never opens, and gives me the error -10810

2.) However, I noticed, that when I right-clcik on the iTunes-LAME app, go to "Show Package Contents" I see a MacOS folder and a Resources folder. Everything I've read has talked about the LAME unix file under resources, and that's the one you should replace. But for me, when I click on the Unix file under MacOS, titles "iTunes-LAME", it opens and works perfectly!

3.) So, I guess what is maybe confusing me is, what Unix binaries need to be where. And how come iTunes-LAME only opens when I open up that Unix file in terminal? Here's my thing.... correct me if I'm wrong. I feel there are three man Unix LAME binaries. There is one under resources, one under MacOS, and one in my usr/loca/bin. What do i do?

Reply #9
Maybe somebody can help, but I now recollect that I found problems with iTunes-LAME when I upgraded to 3.98, I never successfully resolved them, and changed my ripping habits rather than put more of my life into it. I thought that perhaps there was something hard-coded in the script that expected 3.97 and was going wrong, but that was intuition rather than analysis.

There is a thread on iTunes-LAME somewhere on HA that you should be able to find with the search function that might help you, but after some very helpful interventions at the beginning it kind of drifted out inconclusively.

Reply #10
So here is what I've discovered, and maybe someone can help me with this. I downloaded LAME Uninstaller 1.0 from thalictrum.com. Apparently this removes everything LAME related. I then re-installed the iTunes-LAME app, and moved to script. Here's what is weird. When I click Import with LAME at the top of my iTunes, the application does not open and gives me an error. However, when I go to the iTunes-LAME app, show package contents, if I click on the Unix Binary titles iTunes-LAME under the MacOS folder, the iTunes-LAME encoder shows up in iTunes and works perfectly, with version 3.97. Any ideas why it only opens this way, and not from the iTunes window?

Reply #11
Just for politeness' sake, I'll answer, but only to say this is way beyond my knowledge. Perhaps someone else can help?

Can I ask why you're persisting? If you want to learn more about the underpinnings of OS X, great, explore, but you probably need to start reading some books. Else, is it worth it?

Reply #12
I guess when I first downloaded and installed LAME, it was all very easy. I had to do very little, and everything seemed to fall into place. Then, Saturday, i got a little greedy and wanted to change some of the settings. I wanted to change the "Encoded with" setting you see when you click get info on an iTunes song. Since I messed things up, I've had an extremely frustrating time trying to get back my exact settings. Finally, today, I came across the same binary I originally used. iTunes-LAME is no running perfectly. Except there's one more issue, and I created a new topic, but if you can help me here that'd be excellent. iTunes-LAME won't open if I put it under my Applications folder. It only opens under my Downloads folder, which is where I downloaded it to. Not really a big deal as it does indeed open and works perfectly. I just want it under my applications folder as it is an application. As for other programs like Max and XLD, I have no idea how to work those. And as for my persistence on the issue, I just wanted to solve a problem I created, opposed to diving into a whole new program. I'd love to eventually dabble into Max and XLD, but I started off with LAME, and it's been perfect ever since.