Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter (Read 522289 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter

Reply #26
Nice plugin. I'm using it for this crossfeed... http://refinedaudiometrics.com/products-hdphx.shtml

It works OK but if I try to configure the VST then foobar crashes.

I will be watching this one though so keep up the good work

EDIT: OK it's a bit less stable than that. Causing a crash sometimes when skip to the next track too. This crossfeed is pretty nice I hope you can give it a try and get it to work one day

Reply #27
Here is a new version. It only contains core bugfixes, no changes in UI at all (so yes, plug-ins with no GUI are still crashing if you try to configure it).

LINK REMOVED. Obtain the component in the first thread.

Plug-ins mentioned in this thread:
iZotope Ozone 3: OK
Isone Pro: OK
HDPHX: OK (don't press config, there is no config)
Acon EffectChainer: can't get DX effects listed at all and thus can't test with DX, but generally it seems to be OK.
TT Dynamic Range Meter: crashes on cfg window closing (doesn't crash during step-by-step debugging — the real problem for many developers)

Reply #28
Tested it, still crash with http://refinedaudiometrics.com/products-hdphx.shtml, as far as I know this vst include a fake slider so it does have GUI? Isone Pro is fine. If you need the crash log and dump I can email you.

Reply #29
At this stage it'll be more useful if you tell me the properties of audio on which you were testing it. What DSPs were in the stack along with the HDPHX if any? What output do you use?

as far as I know this vst include a fake slider so it does have GUI?
Number of parameters has nothing to do with the GUI  If plug-in lacks its own GUI then it's up to the host to provide some kind of user interface. Usually it's a set of knobs or sliders fit uniformly to the window. That's why you can get “different” editors for the same VST in different hosts. I haven't implented this yet.

Reply #30
Well I only got it crashed with HDPHX and you explained why it crashed in your 2nd passage (it only has a fake parameter not GUI, I don't know the inner working of VST ), so I guess it's not really necessary for me to post the information you required in the 1st passage but I'll provide it to be sure anyway: redbook cd audio, dsps (top down): convert 5.1 to stereo, resampler (sox) (resampling to 44.1KHz), HDPHX, Advanced Limiter.

When I try Isone Pro, I replace HDPHX with it and it's rock stable now.

Reply #31
Maybe that configuration button could be disabled when effFlagsHasEditor is unset? Until such time as you implement support for automation parameters in the absence of an editor dialog.

Reply #32
If it wasn't about some major changes in the code, I would have done it already. The problem is that VSTs aren't supposed to be loaded when foobar asks if DSP has configuration. Therefore some changes in the scanner need to be made so it will store VST's attributes in the registry. In one's turn some temporary structures need to be introduced for that (otherwise VST list in the preferences will go bloated with unnecessary columns)... And so on. As I said, the UI is to be improved a little bit later

You know, fb2k and VST approaches to instantiation are quite different and it takes time to figure out and implement the glue for linking two worlds together so they run smoothly. I told you about this before

I've only missed one temporary decision — show “sorry” msg box when the button is pressed.

Reply #33
Here is a new version. It only contains core bugfixes, no changes in UI at all (so yes, plug-ins with no GUI are still crashing if you try to configure it).

Unfortunately it is still exactly the same and crashes when changing tracks while HDPHX is being used. I am using WASAPI output and no other DSPs.

Reply #34
I can't get it crashing at all. May be you're still using old version for some reason? Try to remove the component completely and then install it again.

The version should be 1.0.01:

Are there any dsp-related plug-ins? May be something is trying to open config window.

Reply #35
I moved the VST file from the foobar root folder into a sub folder. I forgot I did that. So I just removed the VST from the list and added it again and it seems to be working fine  I'll keep an eye on it but its not crashed yet. So thanks very much for this plugin.

- Needs a file not found error message rather than a crash for missing VSTs.
- I use foobar2000 in portable mode. If you could store the paths to the VST as a relative path rather than the full path then that would work much better and still be fine for people that do not use a portable install. Plus store config in a file rather than the registry would be much appreciated.

Reply #36
Finally a VST adapter that feels like foobar2000 itself, rather than the ugly hacks that are the current ones.

To manage VSTs "outside" foobar2000 as George Yohng's VST wrapper does seems to have the advantage that no application restart is necessary after having added new ones (I leave aside here the possibility to use an universal wrapper like Acon's EffectChainer).

But most important for me: I can play around with VST settings without beeing forced to have foobar's preferences window open so that f2k remains 'untouched' and fully controllable, because the VST configuration is not part of foobar's DSP section.

Or do I fail to see something in my first comparison of these two different concepts of a VST wrapper?

@ Entrase, please continue to develop your VST adapter, there is a lot of interest here and I am looking also for new approaches always.

I like the same feature of Yohng's wrapper, but I found just today that with newly installed foobar 1.1.1 that Redline monitor plug-in does not appear on startup as it used to with the Wrapper in place using 1.0.  I had to install Redline's dll via VST DSP Entries with a restart to get it to function, so now it only appears with the DSP section open by clicking configuration just like with this new vst adapter.  You seem to imply you can still get the vst settings without needing to do this using Foobar 1.1.  Is that so, and, if so, can you tell me how?

Reply #37
You seem to imply you can still get the vst settings without needing to do this using Foobar 1.1.  Is that so, and, if so, can you tell me how?

Yes, the wrapper's handling as described in the passage "USAGE" here also works with the current foobar2000 v1.1.1, at least with all VSTs I am using on Windows XP Prof. SP3

Please pose possible further questions related to G. Yohng's VST wrapper in the thread I linked to, I don't feel well to discuss this under Entrase's topic.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #38
Will there be support for 64-bit VSTs?

Reply #40
I'm afraid no.
1. Foobar2000 is 32-bit application, hence all its components are 32-bit too.
2. My PC is 32 bit and I have no plans of buying a new one yet.

Reply #41
The only way to support 64-bit VST effects would be to write an external executable proxy to load and execute those effects.

Reply #42
Acon EffectChainer: can't get DX effects listed at all and thus can't test with DX, but generally it seems to be OK.
TT Dynamic Range Meter: crashes on cfg window closing (doesn't crash during step-by-step debugging — the real problem for many developers)

If you have some Sony/Cakewalk product they'll install their effects as DX generally and there are perhaps free DX effects somewhere. DX of course can't be processed, but I mentioned them as your component was crashing foobar in the case

Little sad thou, you can't use monitoring VSTs comfortably as we are not in real-time - meaning there is some buffer delay as DSP design is, so what you actually see is delayed response
Can VST component for foobar be made differently, then through this DSP chain?

Reply #43
Depends, if you like different implementation get the old vst component. Personally, I prefer tight integration with foobar so I can use it with foobar DSP profile, effect chaining... without resorting to another VST chainer.

Reply #44
If you are replying to my post, there is misunderstanding: All foobar VST components (3 of them including this one) are working as DSP components - DSP buffer data is presented in VST before it is actually outputted (sent to playback buffer) or even more intuitive: you see the monitoring data before it is outputed by your sound card's speakers

Reply #45
I don't know how to deal with it yet  But surely I'll dedicate a time to find out. Big hosts do synchronize it somehow after all.

As for making it out of chain... Well, I don't know. It could be done as an output service, but the aim of synchronizing isn't worth all the problems one can get while developing that. Speaking in thuan words, you're gonna lose the “tight integration”.

I think it's more about latency measuring and passing the info to VSTs rather than getting rid of the chain. In the end, there will be chain somewhere anyway.

Reply #46
Bad news. I've spent some time trying to figure out what can I do with the latency and it seems there is no solution. One can only decrease output buffer size to synchronize VST's display with the actual sound.

Reply #47
One possible solution for VST-based visualization would be to write a visualization component that feeds timing-accurate data to a VST. From what I remember from speaking with Peter, foobar2000 provides full PCM data to visualizations.

Reply #48
Is this time-coded PCM data?

Reply #49
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "time-coded", but information is given about timing, and pure PCM should be available in the vis subsystem. I'm pretty confident it'll work, based on conversations I've had with Peter. However, I know nothing about the specifics of that subsystem. I'm trying to recruit one of the devs who actually knows something to provide a bit more context.