Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need some direction in buying replacement ear pads for my HD 485s. (Read 4233 times) previous topic - next topic

Need some direction in buying replacement ear pads for my HD 485s.

I've had this pair of 485s for, like, 4 or 5 years and they've been awesome, but now I really need to address this overdue problem of the old, busted stock ear pads that are on them.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me: Where is a good place to buy replacement ear pads (would Amazon or eBay suffice?), and what's a good price range?  Just from Googling "HD 485 ear pads," I've gotten a range from, like, $2 to $17 from various sites like Amazon and eBay.

Should these be ok?  Anything else I should be looking for in replacement ear pads?  I really know nothing about this subject, so anything would help. 

Thanks guys

Reply #1
Those were my first pair of really good headphones. Those pads certainly look like the right thing. I would consider buying a higher model if you can afford it though.
FLAC -> JDS Labs ODAC/O2 -> Sennheiser HD 650 (equalized)

Reply #2
Ok, but can you show me a place to get a higher model?

Reply #3
Should these be ok?
It says, "Genuine...  by Sennheiser..."    So, it looks like those are the original factory parts.    If you happen to get some made by another manufacturer, they may feel different (better or worse) and they may affect the sound differently (better or worse).

I would consider buying a higher model if you can afford it though.
Since you are happy with the sound you have, I wouldn't necessarily consider upgrading.  "Better" (or more expensive) headphones may not sound better.  More importantly, they may not sound better to you!  Several years ago, I wanted to upgrade my old Koss headphones.  But when I got to the store and listened, none of the (more expensive) headphones sounded as good as the ones I already had.    After that, I no longer felt the need to upgrade and I was much more satisfied with what I had.  (The Koss' are now dead and gone, and Koss no longer makes that model so I did eventually buy something else.)

Ok, but can you show me a place to get a higher model?
It's best if you go to a hi-fi store and listen!  All headphones (and speakers) sound different, and you often can't tell what they sound like from the specs, or from reviews, or from what someone else says. 

If you search this forum for "headphones", you find some recommendations, and  GoodCans.com has recommendations in various price ranges.    But if possible, please go to a store listen for yourself!

If you decide to upgrade, I recommend that you still go-ahead and replace the ear cushions on your HD485's.  You seem to like the sound, so it doesn't make sense to throw them away.  (I don't listen to headphones that much and I've "accumulated"  have 4 pair!)

Reply #4
Were you talking about a higher model of the headphone or a higher model of the pads? 

I can only confirm what DVDdoug said. I bought HD215 as one of my first headphones (after HD 490 - basically a bigger Koss Porta Pro) and I was/am totally satisfied with it. Then I thought I could perhaps "upgrade" or try something better/different. I bought about 4 other headphones, but mostly ended up wasting money. HD215 is still my headphone of choice. (I gave my HD380 to my father, couldn't stand the grip and too much bass - on the paper, they should destroy HD 215, not so much in reality)