Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Could not update tags" (Read 878 times) previous topic - next topic

"Could not update tags"

I have a fairly large music collection that I've assembled through youtube-dl that has downloaded in various formats, including OPUS inside of .webm files.  When I go to apply replay gain to a playlist I've made from this collection though, I'm met with the following error when I try to update file tags only on certain files:

"Could not update tags (File can't be retagged, please re-mux it with up-to-date Matroska tools) on: $FILENAME.EXTENSION$"

I've tried googling around for a week or so now but couldn't find any answers that made sense to me, so I'm hoping that somebody here can help explain what I'd need to do to properly apply replay gain to these affected files.

Things worth noting are :
- This collection is predominantly in .webm and .m4a files
- This collection doesn't have any write permissions associated with it
- This only happens for a few files apparently at random, as others can properly have replay gain assigned to them.
- This also only seems to have affected some .webm files so far, so I think it may have something to do with some of the containers.

Any help is appreciated, and thank you very much for your time!

Re: "Could not update tags"

Reply #1
Please try to remux the files in question with mkvtoolnix. I've had problem with certain files, but after I remuxed them, they work just fine in foobar2000

Re: "Could not update tags"

Reply #2
That worked perfectly, thank you!