Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A day of vinyl -- a reminder of inferior technology (Read 69922 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A day of vinyl -- a reminder of inferior technology

Reply #200
AES mafia again?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #201
member frenzic has graciously offered to host the file. Thanks!

Other than processing to convert from WAV to FLAC, no other processing is employed. This is a roughly 3 minute excerpt from a 1960 Angel recording on the original red label. I have heard this LP on other systems in which the LP displayed ticks and pops.

Many ticks and pops are the result of oscillation on the part of the phono equalizer- I'm not saying that the ticks or pops is not there, just that they are normally inaudible if the phono preamp does not oscillate with each event. The other aspect is of course that the pickup be properly able to track the cartridge without issues.

Equipment used for playback: Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamp, Triplanar 9" arm, Transfiguation Orpheus cartridge.

Media damage like a scratch is another matter, but the solution there is simple- don't damage your recordings. I have many LPs that play with this sort of silence- some much better because as you can here, Angel didn't make the best of vinyl surfaces. In later years the process did improve- some of the vinyl surfaces being made today are considerably lower noise. Have fun!

Thanks again to frenzic for the space.

https://frenzic.stackstorage.com/s/qWaeNomLqADFqkg

Reply #202
At the 2:34> mark I can hear ticks, pops and noise, including what sounds like talking or maybe a tv going in background? WTH?  :)
This is listening with in living room with custom active 8" 2 way monitors. I'm sure the headphone guys will chime in with more detail.
Lastly, I realize its a Zoom recording in room, but the SQ is abysmal (per my >audiophile standards). Hopefully/should be much better on site
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #203
The whole thing sounds mono (78rpm?) with some stereo expansion effects added. I prefer stereo vinyl rip with clicks rather than this.

Reply #204
At the 2:34> mark I can hear ticks, pops and noise, including what sounds like talking or maybe a tv going in background? WTH?  :)

yup- forgot to turn off NPR. There is also one spot where a slight tick is heard when the furnace went on...

Reply #206
Since Atmasphere can't seem to get his FLAC posted here, I'll just repost it. 13MB of wasted disk space on uploading a second copy, one he can't meddle with now that he's shared it.

Reply #207
This is listening with in living room with custom active 8" 2 way monitors. I'm sure the headphone guys will chime in with more detail.
Lastly, I realize its a Zoom recording in room, but the SQ is abysmal (per my >audiophile standards). Hopefully/should be much better on site

I listened to the ZOOM... FLAC, and it was so bad that had to listen to something else to reassure myself that something wasn't broken.  I can confirm the tics you mention.  Vinyl does not have to sound this bad, and vinyl from the 60s doesn't have to sound this bad.

Reply #208
Are you sure the amp you're using to play the file is properly damped?

According to the article here, www.corksniffingplacebophilia.com/usepseudosciencetopedalyoursnakeoil.pdf, it will get rid of "vinyl noise" because it doesn't really exist.

Reply #209
Btw, possibly to clarify, I assume he has something like this at his seat pointed at his speakers playing vinyl

Hence the SQ...and still audible LP surface noise  ::)
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #210
I cannot stand the phase errors *runs through Stereo Tool plugin for Winamp*.

The clicks are still there and there isn't much that can be done on my part to fix it.  MP3s & CDs sound better than this.

Reply #211
Are you sure the amp you're using to play the file is properly damped?

..and preamp stability of course
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #213
I find it brave to post such a sample!
The permanent rambling and surface noise like things are really lower in this recording as other LP rips i heard but the total tonality is really aching bad and i hope it it is the recording device.
Still there are tiny clicks here and there and a steady obvious 60Hz hum.
No idea yet what to make out of it. Not very convincing.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #214
Btw, possibly to clarify, I assume he has something like this at his seat pointed at his speakers playing vinyl

Hence the SQ...and still audible LP surface noise  ::)

Don't underestimate the ability of portable recorders to capture reasonable stereo image and frequency response in a room without acoustic treatments. That flac file definitely hurt the reputation of Zoom and other portable recorders.
https://youtu.be/koJBEsX26tg

Reply #215
Is there no way to record the audio directly from the vinyl player without involving speakers, room acoustics, outside noises and possible lossy compression in the recorder?

Reply #216
Is there no way to record the audio directly from the vinyl player without involving speakers, room acoustics, outside noises and possible lossy compression in the recorder?

Avoid a silly recorder and just use a computer to do it?  Doesn't his record player at least have RCA jacks on it?  A simple RCA to 3.5 mm cable works quite well and there's no shortage of adapters.  The only annoying problem I can think of is a ground loop happening but there is a few ways of resolving that.

He could try the bottom ports but I have no idea what they're for, if he did use the device AJ posted a picture of, well I've uploaded the operation manual for it right here.

Reply #217
I don't see this as a valid sample. In my opinion, it should be recorded from the preamp out to the line ins on the Zoom. I naively assumed that's what he was going to do.
Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

Reply #218
Many ticks and pops are the result of oscillation on the part of the phono equalizer- I'm not saying that the ticks or pops is not there, just that they are normally inaudible if the phono preamp does not oscillate with each event. The other aspect is of course that the pickup be properly able to track the cartridge without issues.

Equipment used for playback: Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamp, Triplanar 9" arm, Transfiguation Orpheus cartridge.

You keep repeating this fallacy about pre-amp/phono stage oscillation, so how did you arrive at this conclusion? I've had plenty of occasions to be using an oscilloscope on audio gear; this would easily show such oscillation, yet I've never seen even a hint. Do you actually have a clue what oscillation is? Any phono stage or pre-amp has more than enough gain to oscillate, given the right (or wrong, depending on your viewpoint) conditions. Once oscillating, they are not going to stop until the power is removed or the "fault" is corrected.

On the other hand, a zero-feedback 16-valve (tube) design like the MP-1 might be more common in your world and I can believe such designs would be prone to problems.

Reply #219
Either I missed on some specific reason, or I don't know what the point of uploading "that" actually was, either - besides it being a blatant shot in a placebophile's own foot.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #220
I don't see this as a valid sample. In my opinion, it should be recorded from the preamp out to the line ins on the Zoom. I naively assumed that's what he was going to do.
Exactly. Just use the line-in of the portable recorder.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,107529.0.html

The link is broken due to last year's forum upgrade, the result is still there:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,107528.0.html

If the recorder doesn't even support line-in, the whole test is pointless. Even my 10+ years old Creative Zen has a line-in jack, it only supports 128k wma though. I attached a line-in recording of my Zen using my soundcard's 3.5mm output to play the LP sample.flac in this post, the sound quality is much more reasonable, even with lossy encoding.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,114377.msg943125.html#msg943125

What an innovative method to use the mic to hide the artifacts. :))

Reply #221
Either I missed on some specific reason, or I don't know what the point of uploading "that" actually was, either - besides it being a blatant shot in a placebophile's own foot.

As if there were any questions or doubts, we now know for sure why this guy is a true believer in just about every placebophile myth that flushes down the sewer of ignorant audiophilia - he doesn't even know enough to use the tape outputs on that megabuck retro-tech preamp of his.  (please see attachment)

Reply #222
As if there were any questions or doubts, we now know for sure why this guy is a true believer in just about every placebophile myth that flushes down the sewer of ignorant audiophilia - he doesn't even know enough to use the tape outputs on that megabuck retro-tech preamp of his.  (please see attachment)
...and an extremely funny post like this:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,115012.msg949291.html#msg949291

Reply #223

So, we rest our case. (again)
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #224
C'mon now LoFiers, give the HiFi guy a break.
I know y'all can't afford a $100 cartridge, but you really owe it to yourselves to go to a "High End" show and meet these old freak "inmate" types from Asylum and other such fora. Them and their D-K believer audio systems are a hoot in person.
You think this thread was funny? Go check out one of those shows. ;)

Ok, I think the credits are rolling on this one....
Loudspeaker manufacturer