Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New to FLAC, archiving, streaming etc. (Read 14113 times) previous topic - next topic

New to FLAC, archiving, streaming etc.

Reply #25
You can stream media from a computer running iTunes directly to iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches these days as well.

The same goes for non-Apple personal mobile devices combined with the appropriate client-side apps and server-side software (example: android devices + audiogalaxy).

Reply #27
I have a Seagate GoFlex Home - 3TB.
I just use it for backups, but I believe it can be used as storage for media servers too.

I don't remember what it cost which means it couldn't have been too hard on the wallet.
It also has a USB port you can attach a USB drive to for additional space if the 3TB isn't enough.

Only thing is you might want to get 1 or 2 TB model because some devices have trouble seeing > 2TB, I don't know if squeezebox does or not.

Just plug it in to network router you can access it from any PC on your home network.
It's quiet too. I don't know if it would work with a squeezebox but I don't see why it wouldn't.

"All you need to do is point the Squeezebox Server at the network share where your music resides."

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MySqueezebox...ver/td-p/558652

Another possibility - The router I use (DLINK DIR-825) also has a USB port that you can use to attach a USB drive and it will turn it into a network drive. That seems to be a pretty common feature in modern routers. 1TB USB drives that do not even need their own power source are fairly common, you may be able to just plug one of those into your home router.

-=-

Anyway, I would avoid running a PC just for streaming music if at all possible as it wastes power to so and I don't think it is necessary. I would use some type of network drive and then a player that can mount the network drive.

My Bluray player I believe can play music from a NAS without needing a server (though I don't think flac), I don't think a dedicated PC is the right way to go. I don't stream music myself, but I would find a solution that does not require running a dedicated PC.

Reply #28
There must be solutions that don't involve a Squeezebox since it obviously can't handle a dumb NAS filled with music without having to run software on an additional device, no?

Of course there are. Nobody is saying Squeezebox is the only way to play music files or streaming services. It just happens to be a very nice one, IMO.

As I said previously, the client/server aspect is a reason why many people don't like it. Some people don't want to have to run a server, particularly if it involves buying another piece of equipment. If that's the case, it's not the solution for them.

Reply #29
It was a rhetorical question, but I'm glad you took the time out of your busy day to answer it anyway.

Instead of restating the problem and/or championing the square peg that doesn't fit the round hole, maybe suggesting alternatives which don't have this particular restriction would be more helpful?

@Apesbrain:
Thanks for the link.  Maybe others can follow your lead.

Reply #30
Not a problem. If there's anything else you need, just ask. I'm sure someone here can help you.

Reply #31
Wow so much good advice. I don’t know where to start answering, so I’ll just say a great big thanks. I guess I’m in a different time zone to most of you guys (NZ), as I have only just seen the response. I will be away all weekend, but come Monday I will get started… you have all given me much to chew on, and lots of inspiration to get the job done. Must admit, I had come to a stand still, not knowing what to do other than wire up the old place.

So far, I like the idea of the SBox, as it sounds like a good system, and tried and tested. I think also, I will set up an old PC for the server, but I can always change that down the line when money/time permits, and maybe when I learn more.

I will take a look at the links for ripping and everything else… and thank you all so much.
I’m sure you have all saved me so many hours (days!) of floundering around blindly searching, maybe buying stuff I don’t need etc, and I am very grateful.

Once again... great forum.

Reply #32
Wow so much good advice. I don’t know where to start answering, so I’ll just say a great big thanks. I guess I’m in a different time zone to most of you guys (NZ), as I have only just seen the response. I will be away all weekend, but come Monday I will get started… you have all given me much to chew on, and lots of inspiration to get the job done. Must admit, I had come to a stand still, not knowing what to do other than wire up the old place.

So far, I like the idea of the SBox, as it sounds like a good system, and tried and tested. I think also, I will set up an old PC for the server, but I can always change that down the line when money/time permits, and maybe when I learn more.

I will take a look at the links for ripping and everything else… and thank you all so much.
I’m sure you have all saved me so many hours (days!) of floundering around blindly searching, maybe buying stuff I don’t need etc, and I am very grateful.

Once again... great forum.

Have fun. And an old PC can work just fine for a server for Squeezeboxes. Just install Logitech Media Server software on it (and there are win, mac, and linux versions) and you're good to go....doesn't take a lot of horsepower (or install the vortexbox OS, as discussed earlier).  It probably is best if the server PC is wired (ethernet) so you have at most one wifi hop (from router to SB Touch).  Two wifi hops (router to server AND router to SB TOUCH player) can sometimes be problematic.

Reply #33
I would avoid running a PC just for streaming music if at all possible as it wastes power to so and I don't think it is necessary

My server is full on only when it is called upon to deliver music.  It is automatically awakened remotely by "Wake-On-LAN" and returns to standby on its own after some minutes of non-use.  It also wakes up for a few minutes in the middle of the night to rescan its library for new/changed files.  Most comtemporary motherboards/network adapters/OSes support Wake-On-LAN if the server PC is wired to the router.

I would find a solution that does not require running a dedicated PC

A "dedicated" PC is not required, but some people find it to be their best solution.  The server software can run in the background on any PC on the network regardless of how that PC is otherwise typically used (or often its power state, see above).  It does not consume appreciable resources while running; a bit more when scanning.

Reply #34
xbmc + any supported android device

personally I can't wait to see xbmc working on some of the existing and future google tv boxes.

http://xbmc.us/