Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_discogs (Read 1347056 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_discogs

Reply #2700
Discogs Authentication

From that URL:
If you do not plan on building an app which others can log into on their behalf,
so it's definitely not for this plugin.

Reply #2701
Discogs Authentication

From that URL:
If you do not plan on building an app which others can log into on their behalf,
so it's definitely not for this plugin.
Hmm, looking through the configuration and usage documentation at https://bitbucket.org/zoomorph/foo_discogs, I didn't see anything that needed access to a user's account information, since it looks like it's just doing lookups against the general catalog, not against a user's collection. The closest thing I found talked about fetching images, but the Discogs documentation implies it can also be done with Discogs authentication:
The Image resource represents a user-contributed image of a database object, such as Artists or Releases. Image requests require authentication and are subject to rate limiting.

It’s unlikely that you’ll ever have to construct an image URL; images keys on other resources use fully-qualified URLs, including hostname and protocol. To retrieve images, authenticate via OAuth or Discogs Auth and fetch the object that contains the image of interest (e.g., the release, user profile, etc.). The image URL will be in the response using the HTTPS protocol, and requesting that URL should succeed.
Am I missing something?

Reply #2702
I meant to ask before, is their a way of making the plugin detect multi-disc releases using the wrong numbering format?

for example:-

multi-disc releases using 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, etc, obviously work fine with the plugin, as the numbering format is as per guidelines

However, for example, releases with 1.01, 1.02, 2.01, 2.02, etc, are not recognised as multi-disc releases and are instead counted as 1 through to 40 tracks (if there were 20 tracks on CD1 and 20 tracks on CD2, for example)

Thanks again for the plugin, it's such a godsend!
The plugin uses the standardized track formatting described (somewhat loosely) in the Discogs guidelines. Unfortunately, the Discogs guidelines say that this standardized formatting is less preferred than using whatever is printed on the release (which is not standardized). So in general there's no way for foo_discogs to know exactly how to process the tracklisting. It could definitely be modified to make a smarter guess based on the # of files and different ways the tracklisting could be parsed, but I don't have any time to work on such changes right now.

Reply #2703
Hi, I am trying to get your plugin working on my system. I am running Windows Vista. I have installed the TLS 1.2 patches and enabled them on my system, but I still get authentication errors. However, I can successfully authenticate when manually sending OAuth commands using curl. I took some packet captures and from what I can find, even though TLS 1.2 is enabled on my system, Vista does not support the "modern" ciphers needed (as listed here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS#Modern_compatibility), which is what is causing the authentication to fail.

From what I understand, curl and other browsers (besides Internet Explorer) use their own crypto libraries and thus are not directly dependent on what the OS provides or supports.

Not being familiar with the foobar plugin architecture, would it be possible to use e.g. libcurl for network communications instead of the built-in Windows libraries?

Also, does the plugin really need to use OAuth Authentication, or would it be possible to use Discogs Authentication? It looks like it wouldn't need the user to generate their own tokens, so the plugin should work right out of the box.

Thanks for any insight!
foo_discogs uses the http library built into foobar2000 which I suspect uses native OS calls. It would be possible to use something else, just a matter of the work to change it over, which could be quite substantial to support an old OS that few people are using.

As for using the token instead of oauth (well, providing an option to use either - I don't think oauth should be removed), yes that would be possible and probably should be done. Again it's just a matter of implementing and that shouldn't be too hard but I have no motivation to do it right now as too busy with other things. :-(

Reply #2704
OK, thanks for the info! If I get the time to dig into the foobar API (not sure how likely that is at the moment though), would you mind if I take a crack at it?

Reply #2705
OK, thanks for the info! If I get the time to dig into the foobar API (not sure how likely that is at the moment though), would you mind if I take a crack at it?
Go for it, it is open source for that purpose. :-) Adding the token as an alternative to oauth would be simplest.

Reply #2706
However, for example, releases with 1.01, 1.02, 2.01, 2.02, etc, are not recognised as multi-disc releases and are instead counted as 1 through to 40 tracks (if there were 20 tracks on CD1 and 20 tracks on CD2, for example)

The plugin uses the standardized track formatting described (somewhat loosely) in the Discogs guidelines...but I don't have any time to work on such changes right now.

Your component and maintenance are invaluable. When you do find time once more...  :))

When I scan multi-discs with x.xx format, it only shows the first track per disc and lists the others as +HIDDEN.

e.g : https://www.discogs.com/master/view/233656
[r2086887]
In the future, it would be great if it were possible to expand +XX HIDDEN and apply the data to the files

Reply #2707

The plugin uses the standardized track formatting described (somewhat loosely) in the Discogs guidelines...but I don't have any time to work on such changes right now.

Your component and maintenance are invaluable. When you do find time once more...  :))

When I scan multi-discs with x.xx format, it only shows the first track per disc and lists the others as +HIDDEN.

e.g : https://www.discogs.com/master/view/233656
[r2086887]
In the future, it would be great if it were possible to expand +XX HIDDEN and apply the data to the files
That's because in the standardized formatting, "x.x" means hidden tracks, "x-x" means multiple tracks on a disc. Unfortunately, if the artwork is written as "x.x" for multiple tracks on a disc then Discogs prefers that, breaking the standardized formatting.

It would be possible to add buttons to expand/collapse hidden tracks to deal with those rare cases, but would not be trivial.

In many cases, older releases on Discogs were entered with "x.x" format but should be changed to "x-x".

Reply #2708
Hi, since I downgraded to Windows 7 I have issues getting OAuth to work, there's a "Network exceptionNetwork authentication" error (80090302) on api.discogs.com/oauth/request token (yes it's HTTPS). I tried on my XP Virtual Machine but it kept requesting OAuth, nothing else.

Does anybody know why this does happen, and if so, is there a fix for it?

Here's the screen proof below.
lh11, the noob person

Reply #2709
Windows 7 doesn't enable TLS 1.2/1.3 by default in the system libraries, so this must be enabled manually.

Reply #2710
I did something on Internet Options, but that did nothing. Do I need to get deeper? (I am used to be in Windows 8.x so idk)
lh11, the noob person

Error generating tag ALBUM ARTIST []

Reply #2711
Hello,

I got this Error:

(FATAL) Error: Error generating tag ALBUM ARTIST [] for file file://C:\Users\mp3\N13\1_Boby Acid Addiction - Raw Modulator.mp3
[ESCAPE to close]

When trying to tag files with this release: https://www.discogs.com/release/9374815

What could be wrong with the Album Artist?

Reply #2712
I did something on Internet Options, but that did nothing. Do I need to get deeper? (I am used to be in Windows 8.x so idk)
I remember we had this (solved) in this tread for many users. Unfortunately, you need to use the search for this issue. try something with TLS as a searchterm.
(And don't forget to mention/link the msg-id if you've found it, so others might solve their issue faster  :-)

Reply #2713
It would be possible to add buttons to expand/collapse hidden tracks to deal with those rare cases, but would not be trivial.
I'd prefer just a simple button in the Find Release Window, where the user easily can switch between the settings: Parse hidden tracks.... [ x ] on or [ ] off.

The need to click multiple times, to change a single setting, which -in a daily tagging business- is needed to be switched very often, is somehow inconvenient and irritating.

Why not implement a button, where the hidden track information is downloaded automaticly or on the users request? Easy to reach/click button are more intuitive than a setting, hidden somewhere in the preferences, IMHO.

Reply #2714
The plugin uses the standardized track formatting described (somewhat loosely) in the Discogs guidelines. Unfortunately, the Discogs guidelines say that this standardized formatting is less preferred than using whatever is printed on the release (which is not standardized). So in general there's no way for foo_discogs to know exactly how to process the tracklisting. It could definitely be modified to make a smarter guess based on the # of files and different ways the tracklisting could be parsed, but I don't have any time to work on such changes right now.
My 2 cents:
A nice idea would be to let the user enter the pattern, which is used in the discogs Database.

So a free-text-field (in the prefs or mainwindow) would be of good help, where the user can enter something like
#.#
or
##-##
or
CD#.##
or whatever is shown i.e. on the discogs-release.

The fine component then replaces the # and the char(s) between the # with the numbering parts of the release.

Entering something in this free-text-field will DISABLE the automatic (and maybe smart) "guessing" of the fine component.
Emptying the free-text-field will ENABLE the "guessing" (which should be mentioned to the user anywhere...)

Reply #2715
Hello,

I got this Error:

(FATAL) Error: Error generating tag ALBUM ARTIST [] for file file://C:\Users\mp3\N13\1_Boby Acid Addiction - Raw Modulator.mp3
[ESCAPE to close]

When trying to tag files with this release: https://www.discogs.com/release/9374815

Artist "Razernij" is 404 in the database. Editing the release might fix it.

Reply #2716
[ESCAPE to close]
Artist "Razernij" is 404 in the database. Editing the release might fix it.
Thanks for pointing out. "Album Artist" has mislead me 8-]
(I do not know how to fix the artist, so I asked in the discogs forum. We'll see what comes up and how I can fix that.)
EDIT: Oh, those guys are fast: https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/792339

Anyways,
I removed track no. 3 from the Tracklist (out of the Match tracks window),
but the fine component throws the error again.

We discussed this "greedy feature" some time ago, the fine component fetches ALL information from the DB, also if it is not needed (user removed tracks, so those artists shoudnt be fetched (saves bits&bytes&time&bandwith...).
Example: For a Various Artists Album with 100 Tracks on 5 CDs, where you only want to tag the last 20 Tracks, the fine component fetches ALL the artist info, which takes ages to finish and needlessly "stresses" the database.

Of course, if those artists are mentioned in the credits (or the users formatting strings need them), they surely should be fetched, but -please correct me, if I did not checked carefully enough- for this release, the error is an unnecessary showstopper.

Do you plan to "optimize" the fine component to this effect, or is this something, we will learn to live with? ;-)

Reply #2717
Anyways,

We discussed this "greedy feature" some time ago, the fine component fetches ALL information from the DB, also if it is not needed (user removed tracks, so those artists shoudnt be fetched (saves bits&bytes&time&bandwith...).
Example: For a Various Artists Album with 100 Tracks on 5 CDs, where you only want to tag the last 20 Tracks, the fine component fetches ALL the artist info, which takes ages to finish and needlessly "stresses" the database.
foo_discogs only fetches info that is used by the tag formatting strings. Some of the tag formatting strings are fetching the artists of the other tracks on the release. This would be cached for subsequent tracks. :-)

Reply #2718
Sorry if it has already been answered, I did search but didn't turn up anything.

Is there a way to get it to download just the artwork from Discogs and apply it to the files, without changing anything else? I've looked at the main settings and can't work out how to do it.

Reply #2719
Sorry if it has already been answered, I did search but didn't turn up anything.

Is there a way to get it to download just the artwork from Discogs and apply it to the files, without changing anything else? I've looked at the main settings and can't work out how to do it.
You can download artwork to the directories and disable all tag formatting strings so no tags will be written.

Reply #2721
Hi, since I downgraded to Windows 7 I have issues getting OAuth to work, there's a "Network exceptionNetwork authentication" error (80090302) on api.discogs.com/oauth/request token (yes it's HTTPS). I tried on my XP Virtual Machine but it kept requesting OAuth, nothing else.

Does anybody know why this does happen, and if so, is there a fix for it?

If you haven't solved this try...
https://manage.accuwebhosting.com/knowledgebase/3008/How-do-I-enable-TLS-12-on-Windows-7.html
This worked for me.

Reply #2722
Anyways,

foo_discogs only fetches info that is used by the tag formatting strings. Some of the tag formatting strings are fetching the artists of the other tracks on the release. This would be cached for subsequent tracks. :-)
Thanks zoomorph,
your explanation makes sense and seems desirable to me,
but I don't understand, why 58 artists (see screenshots below) are fetched (cache tells me so), when I only fetch a single track with a single artist.

To end the confusion,
please let me show, what I am doing, so maybe we can figure out, what is wrong (with my thinking) :-)

attachment 1:
I start f2k, cache is empty.

attachment 2:
the used formatting strings. (very simple, no fancy stuff.)

attachment 3:
I select only the first song of this release

attachment 4:
after the fine component has done its job, this is what the cache tells.

So it is correct, that 58 artists are fetched, when only one single is needed?
(or maybe I left some formatting string in the config, which leads to fetch all the artists? If so, which one?)

(sorry, I cannot figure out how to place the attached screenshots into this post, so the numbering. It seems my broswer cannot drag&drop the attachments into this post.)

Reply #2723

You can download artwork to the directories and disable all tag formatting strings so no tags will be written.
I prefer to open the Update Artwork function via a keyboard shortcut or a customized button.

See screenshots how to use/accomplish.

No tags are written this way and you don't need to touch your foo_discogs settings. it just simply downloads the art, you have set up in the artwork tab inside the components configuration.
Unfortunately the component can't embed artwork in the files via the component, but f2k can.
I have included two more screenshots, which show my configuration for fetching artwork via the fine component and then embed them into the files. (of course, you need to first check the artwork it it suits your visual needs)