Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need Advice: Recording and Export Settings (Read 2083 times) previous topic - next topic

Need Advice: Recording and Export Settings

Hi.  I'm recording interviews and learning to produce NPR-style audio documentaries on my own.  My PCM WAV field recorder has settings for sample rates of 44.1 up to 96 kHz, and bit depth settings of 16 and 24.  Also, I'm editing my audio in a version of Sonar which has export settings from 44.1 up to 192 kHz, and bit depth settings of 16, 24, and 32.

Is there a broadcast industry minimum standard for field recording and for saving the finished audio files?  What settings would most pros use these days -- both for their field recorders, and for exporting their finished documentaries?

Also, Sonar gives me an export choice of RIFF Wave and Broadcast Wave.  Which should I use?

Reply #1
i would probably record in 48/24 and export in 48/24 or 48/16. As for wave type i'am not aware of what useful metadata is possible with Broadcast Wave, but in any case see what's happening when files get over 4 gigs.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #2
Hi.  I'm recording interviews and learning to produce NPR-style audio documentaries on my own.  My PCM WAV field recorder has settings for sample rates of 44.1 up to 96 kHz, and bit depth settings of 16 and 24.  Also, I'm editing my audio in a version of Sonar which has export settings from 44.1 up to 192 kHz, and bit depth settings of 16, 24, and 32.

Is there a broadcast industry minimum standard for field recording and for saving the finished audio files?

You can't go wrong with 44/16. It provides optimal sound quality, and everybody has the resources to handle it.

What settings would most pros use these days -- both for their field recorders, and for exporting their finished documentaries?

I don't think anybody really knows for sure. People say stuff, but it would take a scientific survey to come up with a definitive answer.

I do a ton of work with 44/16, nobody ever complains about sound quality, and its noise floor is ever apparent on my recordings.

Also, Sonar gives me an export choice of RIFF Wave and Broadcast Wave.  Which should I use?

As the tech people that you intend to deliver programs to. I can't imagine anybody turning down a 44/16 .wav file, RIFF .wav is probably an alias for the standard .wav file that we all know and love.

Test your own work on your own digital players if you have any questions about compatibility.