Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Surround sound flac albums (Read 7981 times) previous topic - next topic

Surround sound flac albums

Hi all,

Another random question:

What 6ch lossless albums do people own or know about?

I bought some cheap music DVDs MTV unplugged type stuff and can extract out the ac3/dts soundtracks so if I want I can just listen to them as audio tracks.
It got me wondering if there are lossless surround sound albums?

Technically I guess videos could count here as I cannot play multi-channel PCM via SPDIF, I have to send it via HDMI, so could send the video as well, but I just wondering! 

tia

Reply #1
I have the Iron Maiden album 'Dance of Death' that I ripped from the DVD-A disc into multi-channel FLAC files.
The best part is I have never listened to them as I have never owned a multi-channel audio set-up in my life 

Reply #2
A lot of concert Blu-Rays have lossless audio, plus as just said some DVD-As have surround tracks.

Reply #3
probedb - agreed.
Yeah I have an Adel BD that has lossless surround sound.
But to be honest I don't rewatch videos, but I relisten to music audio - hence my question.

Reply #5
probedb - agreed.
Yeah I have an Adel BD that has lossless surround sound.
But to be honest I don't rewatch videos, but I relisten to music audio - hence my question.

I know, but I rip just the audio so I can listen to the concert  For example, an old NIN DVD and CD release had more songs on the DVDs so I ripped the audio and I never listen to the CD.

Reply #6
I guess that is the route then. The good news is that music concerts are often the first to end the bargain bins price wise!

Reply #7
Hi all,

Another random question:

What 6ch lossless albums do people own or know about?

I own dozens, and I've converted most of them to FLAC by now. 

DVD-Audio discs with multi-channel PCM, and SACD with multi-channel DSD,  appeared on the market in the early 2000's and are still trickling out today.

see
http://dvd-a.info/

http://www.sa-cd.net/

Reply #8
Yep, DVD-As and SACDs are lossless. Some of them are also surround sound. The tough part is just finding albums that are mixed in surround, and available for purchase. I've never found more than 5 albums I wanted which had a surround mix. Out of those 5, two sounded identical to the stereo mixes, but with extra reverb in the back channels. Very disappointing. (The other 3, however, were stunning.)

You can try looking for some of these releases, but you'll probably need new equipment to play them also. They're lossless but they're definitely not FLACs, and they've got heavy DRM chaining the audio to the disc.