Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Editing Properties (Read 773 times) previous topic - next topic

Editing Properties

I'm having issues editing the properties of a file.
The fields appear to be editable, but sometimes I have to click several times before they actually become so. More often than not, I click on a field and it just turns all blue. Then, after clicking again and again, instead of the field becoming editable, a window titled 'Edit Value: ...' pops up. I'm not quite sure if this behavior is a bug or a feature, but it seems more like a bug to me. I wish I could simply click on a field and edit it without any hassle.
Thank you for your attention.

Re: Editing Properties

Reply #1
Be sure you are clicking in "Value" column, not in "Name" column.

Reply #3
Well... Now i can see described wrong behavior too. But for me it happens extremely rarely. 2.2 preview 2024-04-10, windows 7.

Reply #4
When you click the field you wish to edit, could you perhaps hold the button down and accidentally drag the pointer? Dragging lets you select multiple fields and prevents the edit action from triggering.

Reply #5
I try my best to do it carefully because all this clicking and reclining is really annoying. But it just happens randomly: I click and it's editable. Then, when I need to change something, I click again the same field - and it turns blue and becomes non-editable until I click several times.

Reply #6
Here is how it looks.

Reply #7
Yup. Your mouse pointer is in motion so it gets treated as a drag. Slow down and you won't have such problems.

Reply #8
I’ve never had this kind of issue with other software UI, however fast my mouse pointer was moving (and it worked fine with Foobar2000 too, until a certain point in the past). Still, just to be sure, I tested it again, moving the pointer rather slowly, but it doesn’t really help.

Reply #9
The default OS behavior is to register drag only after 4 pixels of movement. The properties dialog is fully custom stuff and doesn't have such safety margins at the moment. It doesn't matter how fast you move the pointer if you can't keep it still between pressing the mouse button down and when you lift it up. The current code sees it as a click if the mouse pointer doesn't move between those two actions. If it moves even a pixel it's considered dragging.

Note that I'm just explaining to you what causes the issue. It's up-to Peter to add safety margins for shaky mousing.

PS: While waiting for click margins to be implemented, remember that you can move in the dialog also with arrow keys. And if clicking is a problem you can always hit F2 to edit the highlighted value.

Reply #10
Thank you for taking the time to explain. I hope the problem will be solved since, apparently, it mustn't be very complicated.

Reply #11
Fixed in today's preview build, thanks for bringing this up.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.