Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack 4.80.0-alpha available for testing (Read 7428 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack 4.80.0-alpha available for testing

This has probably been the most requested feature (along with >4GB files, which is next on the list).

I didn't really want to make a big mess of the source code, but I got an unsolicited patch from LoRd_MuldeR that demonstrated how Unicode support on Windows could be added with minimal code change (at least for the generic portions of the code). I created a branch on GitHub for this and so far my testing looks good. Although I have no easy way of testing on non-English versions of Windows, I am able to access paths and create tags with all kinds of crazy mixes of character sets.

BTW, this also has the LargeAddressAware problem fixed for 64-bit Windows 10 discussed in this thread.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions, and the continuing support of the HA community! 

32-bit executables
64-bit executables

edit: replaced links with alpha2 version.

Reply #1
Thanks.  I don't have much to say except thanks for creating such a sophisticated codec. 
I am an electronic music composer and although I upload to SoundCloud FLAC tunes, for my own personal archives I like to have 48 kHz 32-bit float WAVs archived. 
Those files get big so it's nice to have WAVpack around to shrink them. 

I'm actually on Linux now, but I still run some Windows softwares too. 
Is there an Ubuntu Linux version available?  The Windows version probably works but Wine (allows Windows programs to run on Linux) takes a long time to load at first.
Be a false negative of yourself!

Reply #2
I hate seeing console codepage set to 65001. It never worked properly -- even on the new console host of Windows 10.
Before windows 10, changing console page also changed console font (and consequently, console windows size) that brings a disgraceful effect if a program that instantly quits temporary changes the codepage.
Windows 10 console doesn't seem to change the font, but handling of character-cells (rendering, cursor move, input or something) on codepage 65001 has never been correct for CJK wide characters.

Left: default codepage (CP932) on Japanese Windows 10, Right: UTF-8 codepage (CP65001)

If you really have to write unicode characters to the console, WriteConsoleW() is the way to go.
https://alfps.wordpress.com/2011/11/22/unic...-io-approaches/
IIRC, FLAC is using printf wrapper based on WriteConsoleW().

Reply #3
I creates a wav file éжμא愠.wav and encoded it with wavpack and flac.

If console font is set to Consolas or Lucida Console, the output is

But when the console font is set to "Raster Fonts" (the default on my computer) the result is

Reply #4
I'm actually on Linux now, but I still run some Windows softwares too. 
Is there an Ubuntu Linux version available?  The Windows version probably works but Wine (allows Windows programs to run on Linux) takes a long time to load at first.

Thanks for the kind words; I'm glad WavPack works out for you.

This version does not have anything new for Linux...the new Unicode support is for Windows only (where it was sorely lacking before).

There is, of course, a Linux version (I develop mainly on Linux) and it should work fine with Unicode already.

Reply #5
nu774 & lvqcl, thanks for the advice on using WriteConsoleW()!

I have updated the alphas to use that instead of changing the console codepage and also fixed a bug I found where the -d option (to delete source) was broken.

Reply #6
Hey thanks, not much in the way of a test (no idea how to check unicode stuff)
But just decoded some old projects (wav) here fine, and tested recoding them.. these were all 2GB+ 24bit wavs..  no problems at all, im running on windows 10x64

Cheers!

Re: WavPack 4.80.0-alpha available for testing

Reply #7
No idea if it's related to 4.8 or not, but I find Foobar (1.39) behaving very strange with correction files. Say I have directory of lossless wv files. They play fine in Foobar. Now I recode to hybrid mode. Playing again in Foobar it shows lossless with full bitrate. Fine. Now I delete the wvc files and Foobar still claims lossless operation. dbPowerAmp and others clearly show the remaining wv files as lossy/hybrid.

I also had the opposite case when Foobar claims lossy/hybrid even when wvc file are added back. I cannot find a pattern. Whatever situation Foobar seems to "see" first sticks. Restarting FB or re adding files to FB doesn't help. It appears it caches something.

I use

Code: [Select]
find . -name '*.wv' -print0 | xargs -n1 -P4 -0 wavpack -dqyzvm -x4
and
Code: [Select]
find . -name '*.wv' -print0 | xargs -n1 -P4 -0 wavpack -dqyzvm -b350hhj0cc --use-dns

to transcode back and forth.

Reply #8
You're right, I think Foobar stores the bitrate in the database. I seem to recall a "reload info from files" or something like that...not sure.

In any event, I suspect that the playback operation is consistent with the actual files present. In other words, if you add the correction files into the folder later, they will start being used during playback, and obviously the opposite is true...  :)

Reply #9
OK, I was using the -t option when re-encoding, which made it difficult for FB to detect the change and update the database. Fair enough. However now I have the issue that FB will not use the correction files at all. Even after "Reload Info From Files". It always displays hybrid and lossy bitrates even when I create completely new hybrid encodes from scratch.

Reply #10
But still it opens a file handle on the wvc file if it exists in the same folder. However I read that Foobar should also detect wvc files in a sub directory. That does no longer seem to be the case. It's still awful having to trace file handles in order to figure what it does.